Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

11 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

100 year anniversary of the 1921 ice storm coming up...

That is the beast of all cryo monsters.

Imagine that now ... I mean it comes to be a trope, because we say that all the time with the "fragility" of civility's various dim-witted planning vs exposure and vulnerability profiles.  Like ... Long Island drinking a lot of Ice Tea thinking they could put a trillion dollar of infrastructure and real estate out there, and NOT have a Category 4 freak 'cane express over...  Or of course NOLA.... Or how about the Canary Island bifurcating geological tsunamis basically going all the way across the Florida Peninsula...  zaggeratin but just makin the point.

Anyway, 1921 was still an era threading the grid - it was not nearly as embedded and wholly relied upon as it is now...  Not even the same f'n world man. 

So yeah, used turn of phrase or not, 3 to 4" of accretion pan-dimensional in scale would be a level 5 catastrophe - basically, complete failure.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Imagine that now ... I mean it comes to be a trope, because we say that all the time with the "fragility" of civility's various dim-witted planning vs exposure and vulnerability profiles.  Like ... Long Island drinking a lot of Ice Tea thinking they could put a trillion dollar of infrastructure and real estate out there, and NOT have a Category 4 freak 'cane express over...  Or of course NOLA....  the Canary Island bifurcating geological tsunamis basically going all the way across the Florida Peninsula...  zaggerating but just makin the point.

Anyway, 1921 was still an era threading the grid - it was not nearly as embedded and wholly relied upon as it is now...  Not even the same f'n world man. 

So yeah, used turn of phrase or not, 3 to 4" of accretion pan-dimensional in scale would be a level 5 catastrophe - basically, complete failure.

icestorm2-pylons1.jpg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Imagine that now ... I mean it comes to be a trope, because we say that all the time with the "fragility" of civility's various dim-witted planning vs exposure and vulnerability profiles.  Like ... Long Island drinking a lot of Ice Tea thinking they could put a trillion dollar of infrastructure and real estate out there, and NOT have a Category 4 freak 'cane express over...  Or of course NOLA....  the Canary Island bifurcating geological tsunamis basically going all the way across the Florida Peninsula...  zaggerating but just makin the point.

1921 repeat would make 08 look like a walk in the park 

4 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Was it though ?

I think the definition/interpretation has been through the 'human definition adaptation mill' -

SO ... my contribution to the rumor canard is that it has to be 28 for three consecutive hours for a hard freeze. And a Freeze is < 32 but above that lower bound for 3 hours.  And a headline-able frost doesn't necessarily have to freeze. 

I could swear I read this when I was like 11 ... but maybe the 'official' definitions have changed over the years.  Or, what I read 387 years ago wasn't true to begin with.

Got to 25 here. The dogs water bowl was frozen 2 inches deep.  Heavy heavy freeze.  Picked all the rest of the peppers and eggplant and found a good cucumber.  Peppers eggplant rice and chicken in the crock pot right now. We enjoy the fruits of a long growing season that was entirely too wet for peppers.

14 minutes ago, ma blizzard said:

1921 repeat would make 08 look like a walk in the park 

Actually ... it would take several weeks to know or 'look' like anything ...until FEMA or Military AW101 helos had a chance to penetrate the naturally occurring WMD "glacial blast radius" ... maybe to those outside that zone.

being hyperbolic of course...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

This shot I remember.... that's just absolutely insane to me.  

That is KORH airport. I know....like I said...I didn't see anything exciting from it, but to know what was happening so close in the region and knowing people experiencing it.....it's dam epic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yep, this is always my favorite pic I took during the storm....look at the icicles....they are not pointing straight down. The wind ripping from 20 knots out of the northeast did that

028_downsized.jpg

Seeing this pic reminds me of the pics I didn't get in 1998, 2 in particular, as the camera was damaged and left at home. 
First was a phone cable pulled down to 6-8' from the ground and covered with icicles.  Stress had rotated the cable about 70°, clockwise from my viewpoint, and continued growth resulted in a bazillion 5-6" hockey sticks.
Second was a recently installed utility pole carrying the main line along Brunswick Avenue in Gardiner.  It had a feeder line down a side road with a long span to the nearest pole on that road, and the pull had deflected the top of that pole at least 10 feet, far more than I thought a pole could bend.  20 minutes later I looked at it again and by then it was in 3 pieces.

19 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

First solid cool feel today with some sun and temps in the 40s. 

14F up on MWN....good indicator of the airmass. Solid cold for this time of the year....nothing extreme, but a good cold shot....like 5 to 8F below normal for highs.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

14F up on MWN....good indicator of the airmass. Solid cold for this time of the year....nothing extreme, but a good cold shot....like 5 to 8F below normal for highs.

Apparently there was snow in the air down to the road surface of rt 2 in nw Mass yesterday with CAA instability/oreogrphics

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

"I'm only asking for a once in 50 to 100 year event"

AS much as I love winter weather and would love to 2015 repeat I don't want any part of an ice storm like that, I was lucky in 08, I was at 33 degrees and just wet but I remember I had an appt in Fitchburg about 3-4 days after the event and it was no lights and all I could hear were generators, on the ride up 190 it looked like a bomb went off with the tree damage.

10 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

AS much as I love winter weather and would love to 2015 repeat I don't want any part of an ice storm like that, I was lucky in 08, I was at 33 degrees and just wet but I remember I had an appt in Fitchburg about 3-4 days after the event and it was no lights and all I could hear were generators, on the ride up 190 it looked like a bomb went off with the tree damage.

The damage line was amazing. It literally sliced ORH in half....the south side of the city had very little icing except the hills above about 600 feet there. But up on the north side of the city, the icing damage was pretty bad all the way down to 500-550 feet. Most of the north side of the city is 600+ feet anyway, but even the lower parts were bad..and of course as you went up 190 it was awful even down to 300-350 feet in the lowest parts of Fitchburg/Leominster.

33 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The damage line was amazing. It literally sliced ORH in half....the south side of the city had very little icing except the hills above about 600 feet there. But up on the north side of the city, the icing damage was pretty bad all the way down to 500-550 feet. Most of the north side of the city is 600+ feet anyway, but even the lower parts were bad..and of course as you went up 190 it was awful even down to 300-350 feet in the lowest parts of Fitchburg/Leominster.

I was working overnight Ambulance Duty just over the  line in CT and was woken up by Oxford Ma Fire Dept out for numerous trees down in the North End of town, Rt 56 North area. For a few days later the ride up I 395 once you got to exit 4 (Depot Rd) is where you would start seeing the ice on the trees. 

4 minutes ago, Modfan2 said:

I was working overnight Ambulance Duty just over the  line in CT and was woken up by Oxford Ma Fire Dept out for numerous trees down in the North End of town, Rt 56 North area. For a few days later the ride up I 395 once you got to exit 4 (Depot Rd) is where you would start seeing the ice on the trees. 

Yeah there is some higher terrain there that got hit decently...it was mostly like 650-700+ feet in that area but it got bad quickly once you got above that elevation.

Weeklies def look seasonably chilly for late month...agreeing with the end of the ensemble run. So something to watch. They keep a decent pattern into early December too, but the western ridge starts to pancake a bit and produce some ridging across the southern US, almost a pseudo-gradient pattern for a time. Getting out into clown range by that point, but figured I'd mention it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

The wx weenie part of me says, "Bring it on!"  The forester part screams, "Noooooooo!"

40 minutes ago, tamarack said:

The wx weenie part of me says, "Bring it on!"  The forester part screams, "Noooooooo!"

Every part of me says no.  One-I’d rather snow and that is lost.  Two-who wants to lose power for days or longer?  I can tolerate sleet but it’s a killer to remove more than a small amount.  Bring me snow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Modfan2 said:

Once you got north of Route 20 that's where it all started, my SIL lived south of 20 so it did seep below 20 in Charlton in some areas.