Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
November Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

1 hour ago, George001 said:

Based on what I have seen on the models, everything is going according to plan and I see no reason to panic about my 70-85 inch forecast for in the Boston area this winter. I do however believe that the pattern change will be delayed, the polar vortex is expected to deepen and consolidate over the North Pole. The European guidance has the strength of the polar vortex well above normal into the 3rd week of November, rapidly weakening in the last week. There would likely be a lag too, so I would think the pattern change is mid to late December. 

70-85" at Logan?

Based on what I have seen on the models, everything is going according to plan and I see no reason to panic about my 70-85 inch forecast for in the Boston area this winter. I do however believe that the pattern change will be delayed, the polar vortex is expected to deepen and consolidate over the North Pole. The European guidance has the strength of the polar vortex well above normal into the 3rd week of November, rapidly weakening in the last week. There would likely be a lag too, so I would think the pattern change is mid to late December. 
Lol, so we punt December?

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I wish they would put geographic markers on those maps or release them in a format where you can check specific lat longs...

I can tell you where Mt Washington and Mt Mansfield are, ha.

I still think these maps, while great, are more about the “look” of the climatology than the actual values. 

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I can tell you where Mt Washington and Mt Mansfield are, ha.

I still think these maps, while great, are more about the “look” of the climatology than the actual values. 

LOL yeah for sure. 

I guess for me still being pretty new to climo up here it would be nice to drop a map like that into Google Earth or similar as an overlay and see where different places fit in. 

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

LOL yeah for sure. 

I guess for me still being pretty new to climo up here it would be nice to drop a map like that into Google Earth or similar as an overlay and see where different places fit in. 

Yeah for sure, at least the topographic aspect makes it easier to see as those maps generally just start to mirror elevation… though as we know sometimes applying the same amounts to similar elevations isn’t always the correct/actual outcome.  Up in NNE, 1000ft in one place could be more/less snowy than another 1000ft place… but often these interpolations assume they are around the same snowfall.

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

First light snow obs at the ASOS of the season.

METAR KMVL 031015Z AUTO 00000KT 5SM -SN BR SCT003 OVC028 01/00 A3013

It is snowing nicely at the mountain.  Bet 1500ft is white when I get there shortly.

Looks like Jackman area had accumulating snow.

0B63B51A-08B6-41A2-872A-378E36866E69.png

• Like 1