Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah even down at sea level they average (!) 326" in Valdez.  If you average that much heavy wet snow at sea level, what happens at 10,000ft must be nuts.

Can't imagine living in a place where you can get 15" in 90 minutes lol.

The winter storm has brought extreme snowfall — 15 inches fell in 90 minutes in Valdez — made travel hazardous south of the Alaska Range.

5a2854d273648.image.jpg

roofsnow.jpg

Normal suburban home but there has to be 6 feet of mushroom caps on the roof.

c794dbf166da05ef2c39ccdff0c857b2.jpg

That was at a pass at 2800’ I guess. But still...

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/521048/alaska-got-15-inches-snow-90-minutes-last-week

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Ahhh makes sense too.  The one I read just listed it as Valdez.  They say that spot averages 700” a year compared to the meek 330” at Valdez :lol:.

700” under 3,000ft of elevation is absolutely bonkers.

32 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ahhh makes sense too.  The one I read just listed it as Valdez.  They say that spot averages 700” a year compared to the meek 330” at Valdez :lol:.

700” under 3,000ft of elevation is absolutely bonkers.

I think Valdez is one of those places where they get a drain of cold air from off the land to help secure all snow. I’ll have to look that up, but I think they get some sort of ageostrophic flow off the land. 

15 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I think there was a CCB last night

Screenshot_20211031-212457_Chrome.jpg

Was there?  I thought the precip was moving from SE to NW on major WAA into the coastal front?

Looked like great H85-H7 frontogenesis along that thermal gradient as high PWAT air slammed ashore.  I thought it was all warm conveyor belt.  Up here today had more CCB characteristics I think.

9ABEC7FE-97C8-46BD-A79D-03F321644500.thumb.png.b1d2860936bf11edd09b585a624daab2.png
6994F2C0-7C27-44B8-8552-E86241C76510.thumb.png.d7f2d99046db1895262130f277b5e3a6.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Was there?  I thought the precip was moving from SE to NW on major WAA into the coastal front?

Looked like great H85-H7 frontogenesis along that thermal gradient as high PWAT air slammed ashore.  I thought it was all warm conveyor belt.  Up here today had more CCB characteristics I think.

9ABEC7FE-97C8-46BD-A79D-03F321644500.thumb.png.b1d2860936bf11edd09b585a624daab2.png
6994F2C0-7C27-44B8-8552-E86241C76510.thumb.png.d7f2d99046db1895262130f277b5e3a6.png

Looks like it

It’s amazing how loaded the trees are with leaves on Nov . 1. Running this morning and looking up all the Oaks still loaded. Scooters wife posted a Helloween pic yesterday on FB and in the background every tree was green. It looked like August . People thought we were crazy saying we’d be doing leaf cleanups into December. Can’t even sniff 32 this year . Was able to wear shorts everyday in Oct and now into Nov., even to the girls nighttime HS soccer games. Different climate for sure than what we were used to growing up.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s amazing how loaded the trees are with leaves on Nov . 1. Running this morning and looking up all the Oaks still loaded. Scooters wife posted a Helloween pic yesterday on FB and in the background every tree was green. It looked like August . People thought we were crazy saying we’d be doing leaf cleanups into December. Can’t even sniff 32 this year . Was able to wear shorts everyday in Oct and now into Nov., even to the girls nighttime HS soccer games. Different climate for sure than what we were used to growing up.

Its unreal down here on the shoreline. Its like spring with plants flowering again. My neighbor said her tulips were coming up. A friend who owns a landscaping company said they are still mowing. My low for October has only been 46. Leaf cleanups will be around Thanksgiving here. 

Screenshot-20211101-062840-Gallery.jpg

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Its unreal down here on the shoreline. Its like spring with plants flowering again. My neighbor said her tulips were coming up. A friend who owns a landscaping company said they are still mowing. My low for October has only been 46. Leaf cleanups will be around Thanksgiving here. 

Screenshot-20211101-062840-Gallery.jpg

Looks like Labor Day

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Same here in the Merrimack Valley area. I have never seen so many trees "loaded" with leaves this late in the fall.. Also there are many trees that still have mostly green leaves.

Lawns are still growing at a good pace.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

What a place, looks like Maryland this time of year.

The difference between north and south this foliage season has been much more drastic than usual.  Been full stick season for weeks now it seems.

251624526_10104666619119740_668460912899

Yeah even though everyone was a week plus late , you guys dropped leaves with some freezes. You don’t seem to have Oaks up there. Around here that’s 75% of what we have . Hence my hatred of them .Here’s view off on deck this morning. Typically this is all brown by now with 75% drop .

U2lQZLc.jpg