Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

48 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The temps will be plenty good for snow making for at least 5-7 days early November. But it does look like it gets pretty mild for a time mid-month. 

But at least for the ski areas, man made snow will be pretty durable as long as no torching 55-60F cutters come along with that mid-month pattern. 

It’s interesting now this fall and lead into winter seems to be paralleling 1995.   Warm followed by cold and snowy for many and then warm.   Thanksgiving was kind of early and normally dank-40s.   A few days later it got warm and with my mom in her final days things appeared stable so we flew back to Boston from Rochester NY.   Front came through and wave along it gave a widespread 3-6.   My mother passed overnight as soon as we left so we returned and stayed 2 weeks.  Winter began with that anafrontal event and rocked until the big thaw after the January biggie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah there's been a dearth of good snow events historically in the first week of November here. We've had more impressive stuff in late October.

We did have a pretty good one though in 2012...Nov 6-7, 2012.

1986 had a fantastic fast moving thunder bomb ...  on the 11th lol... Just missed!

... least I'd have to check - maybe it was the 13th or 9th ...but I wanna say an odd number

3 hours ago, weathafella said:

11/11/87 was pretty great.

Oh shit!  maybe it was '87  ...yeah...

May be talking about the same one  -   I always fug up dates.

Anyway, woke up at 3 am to thunder ...thinking the watch posted at 4 pm ( short window warning event ) must of bust.   But, it was lightning and thunder and I was a nerd, so I got up and looked out the wind and wild tree sways in low visibility under butterscotch glowing skies ...just then, 'nother vim vim BOOOM... I was stunned.   I mean, I had only heard thunder in one case in Michigan from a grapply snow squall LE day, which was more CB meso.   But that night... it was my first synoptic lightning snow, in 3" per hour .. going sideways.  We didn't get lightning even in the Cleveland Superbomb so..  Tell ya, since moving to New England, I think I’ve hear thunder in snow storms in any winter that has actual snow storms.   Back whence I was still just on my 3rd year in the area and it was new to me, though. 

So, there I was a 3:45 in the morning down the street through the woods standing in a parking lot under a street lamp - ended up with close to a foot, much of which fell in 4 hours .. By dawn, it was light snow and done. 

9 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

1986 had a fantastic fast moving thunder bomb ...  on the 11th lol... Just missed!

... least I'd have to check - maybe it was the 13th or 9th ...but I wanna say an odd number

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Oh shit!  maybe it was '87  ...yeah...

May be talking about the same one  -   I always fug up dates.

Anyway, woke up at 3 am to thunder ...thinking it the watch posted at 4 pm ( short window warning event ) must of bust.   But, it was lightning and thunder and I was a nerd, so I got up and looked out the wind and wild tree sways in low visibility under butterscotch glowing skies ...just then, 'nothing vim vim BOOOM... I was stunned.   I mean, I had only hear thunder in one case in Michigan from a grapply snow sqauall LE day, which was more CB meso.   But that... synoptic lightning in 3" per hour going sideways, I was still just on my 3rd year in the area and it was new to me.

So, there I was a 3:45 in the morning down the street through the woods standing in a parking lot under a street lamp - end up with close to a foot, much of which fell in 4 hours .. By dawn, it was light snow and done. 

You are thinking of 11/19/86 I think. 

But there were events on both 11/11/86 and 11/11-12/87...butt he fast moving nature of the storm with intense rates pre-dawn matches the 11/19/86 storm. 

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/fxg1/NARR/1986/us1119.php#picture

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah there's been a dearth of good snow events historically in the first week of November here. We've had more impressive stuff in late October.

We did have a pretty good one though in 2012...Nov 6-7, 2012.

The one and only time I was rooting against a major nor'easter, a week after Sandy (happy anniversary). One way or another we were screwed but I think it shifted east at the last minute and gave the NYC area 6-8" snow and lighter wind vs warm/rain and hurricane force winds which were expected. The snow demolished many of the trees we still had standing, caused more structural damage to ruined homes, did no favors to the hundreds of thousands still without power and shut the rails down. I slept on my friend's couch in Manhattan after the LIRR shut down. But yeah that was a notable one. Another one was 11/15/18, totally unexpected 4-6" of glop immediately pre-rush hour in 3-4 hours down to LI and NYC after a brief rain/snow mix was expected. That was total chaos and a cars/trucks graveyard on every road. 

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

You are thinking of 11/19/86 I think. 

But there were events on both 11/11/86 and 11/11-12/87...butt he fast moving nature of the storm with intense rates pre-dawn matches the 11/19/86 storm. 

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/fxg1/NARR/1986/us1119.php#picture

I remember the early snows in the last 80s, thought we were in for a great winter but not.

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

:weenie:

To be fair, we’ve had some Brutal years sprinkled in the last 10-15. It’s been mostly good, but when it’s bad, boy is it bad.

Dude. Lol. How about years of meh with ugly years sprinkled in. I’m not kidding when you jumped for joy when 3-6” was forecasted. You people have no idea. My first 18” plus storm didn’t happen until I was almost 15. Maybe Feb ‘83 was close. You were already getting them when you were a zygote.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Dude. Lol. How about years of meh with ugly years sprinkled in. I’m not kidding when you jumped for joy when 3-6” was forecasted. You people have no idea. My first 18” plus storm didn’t happen until I was almost 15. Maybe Feb ‘83 was close. You were already getting them when you were a zygote.

:lol:

I guess it was pretty bad. Seems like any time we get a storm now, it’s 6” minimum.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah what are some of those 6” storm stats from the 80s and early 90s?  I remember Will listing some numbers and you couldn’t bank on a 6 inch event even once every 2-3 years.  Now they seem to grow on trees.

I remember hearing it and not believing it…how rare 6”+ was down there for like 15 years.

30 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah what are some of those 6” storm stats from the 80s and early 90s?  I remember Will listing some numbers and you couldn’t bank on a 6 inch event even once every 2-3 years.  Now they seem to grow on trees.

I remember hearing it and not believing it…how rare 6”+ was down there for like 15 years.

ORH went 3 seasons without a 10” storm. 88-89 to 91-92. If I’m not mistaken. It was bad.  For years all I heard was “we don’t have winters like we used to.” It made me so angry. :lol: 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

ORH went 3 seasons without a 10” storm. 88-89 to 91-92. If I’m not mistaken. It was bad.  For years all I heard was “we don’t have winters like we used to.” It made me so angry. :lol: 

That was a brutal stretch. I was in Andover at the time and I think our biggest storm was 8 or 9 inches.

• Like 1