• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Potential Major Noreaster 10-26 through 10-27

ineedsnow

To those looking for a generator spend the extra and get an inverter. A regular generator runs at a fixed speed of 3600 rpms and guzzles down gas. A large 7500 watt can suck down its 5 gallon tank in hours. Inverters can adjust the engine speed to the load down to a few hundred rpms. The fuels savings is insane. Your gas will last like 4 to 5 times longer. Inverters also deliver extremely clean electricty and are way better for electronics. 

I have the 2000 watt $500 HB inverter. It holds like a gallon of gas and can power low loads like your fridge, microwave, window ac, chargers etc all day. Its nuts how long a gallon of gas lasts. Also great for camping and tailgating. 

Screenshot-20211028-071510-Chrome.jpg

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

We used to live 4 houses up from that sea wall in Scituate.  That kind of sea wall spray/flooding is a normal occurrence between Oct-Mar, which creates a very stressful living situation.  The house would shake when some of those rollers would slam the wall.  And there was always the threat that our property was going to get put into a new floodplain by FEMA, which would have wreaked havoc on our insurance. 

10 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

I have an 8500 w genny but I went with a switch plate on my electrical box, a lot cheaper than one of those sub boxes plus I can run whatever I want, I've have the central air on running other stuff and never had a problem. Cost a lot less to do the switch plate, cost me $500 for the switch and have the electrician set up the plug outside and he made me a 15 foot cord. I had $1,000 plus quotes from other electricians to do it the other way.

Switch plate is the way to go instead of a sub panel.

12 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Given my hours and always tending to be at work when the weather is bad, my wife insisted on the auto-transfer. 

I still think it's a little over the top, but I'll admit it's nice not to every have to worry now.

We had that set-up installed in April of 2020 after 6-7 outages October-April 19-20, 13KW genny with two 100-gal propane tanks.  We were getting too old to continue camping out in our own home.  After all those outages that cold season we've run the system very little (of course), 10 hours in late Sept 2020 and little beyond testing otherwise.  Would've had a 5-hour run this past April but the close lightning strike a month earlier had ruined the transfer wiring.  Took out the indoor DirecTV connection as well.  Thankfully not the external wire from the roof-mounted dish.
Reminds me of my dad buying a snowblower following the 100"+/three-blizzard 60-61 winter in NNJ.  1961-62 brought maybe 25" with no events above 6".  Didn't have  a blower-worthy storm until Jan 1964.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Latest outage map.

Np8Oj9w.png

National Grid's estimate for our area in Randolph is late tomorrow evening.  Will definitely be our longest outage ever.  Can't imagine what it will be like when the "big one" finally hits NE.  No generator, but good headlamps, lanterns and power banks for charging phones and tablets.  Also we are able to light our gas stove for cooking.  Good insulation, so house only dropped to 59 overnight.  Yard is a mess, so I know what I will be doing on Sunday.

43 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

My folks in Easton were told no power until tomorrow evening at the earliest. I love big storms but losing power for any length of time is the absolute worst 

They told my parents Saturday evening in Marshfield. Same in Weymouth, but I think my house gets it back late today or tomorrow judging by the progress. I am surprised actually for Marshfield given the issues they have had.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

They told my parents Saturday evening in Marshfield. Same in Weymouth, but I think my house gets it back late today or tomorrow judging by the progress. I am surprised actually for Marshfield given the issues they have had.

I wasn’t even aware you were still out! Godspeed my man