Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Major Noreaster 10-26 through 10-27

ineedsnow

2 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Dad in Brockton reports no power and trees down everywhere. First thought he had was Hurricane Bob when he was driving around.

Looks like Brockton / Bridgewater got whacked  something good.

https://www.enterprisenews.com/picture-gallery/weather/2021/10/27/noreaster-brockton-downed-trees-utility-poles-property-damage-road-closures/8570957002/

broc.jpg

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Snowedin said:

What a mess out there today. I’m posting this pic from our hood in honor of Kevin. Let’s bring em back up before the cabin fever sets in. Seriously, the roads are literally impassable around here. Looks like a friggin tornado went through and it sure sounded like it last night. 

Edit: well crap it doesn’t want to load, but once the internet is restored I’ll have a goodies to post from the madness around here..still can’t get over that 87 mph gust nearby, absolutely insane

Glad you safe and glad you enjoyed! Wish we were there 

• Weenie 1

54 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

My brother just texted me.  He runs a line crew for Verizon.  An Eversource companion told him it will be a week without power for some on the Cape. 

I have learned how it works. If they don’t have lots of out of state crews in place prior to the storm .. it is a looong , slow restoration. Once you start seeing all the trucks from the south and Midwest, things start happening and it comes back on in a timely fashion . Initially these first few days till they arrive , it will be larger , populated areas first . If you are a smaller town and/or rural .. plan on multiple days . E Mass folks have always wondered why CT and Eversource is so bad the last 10+ years. Now you’ll realize why 

35 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Glad you safe and glad you enjoyed! Wish we were there 

Appreciate that, but trust me this isn’t nearly as fun as jumping in feet of powdery snow drifts. Will be shutting off the ol genny app and then it’s back to the sound of silence..for now we embrace the colonial spirit 

• Confused 1

just back from my parents house in Norwell. They live in the neighborhood that I grew up in so have memories dating back to early 1970's. Unbelievable - if they have power by next Tuesday I would be surprised. Power lines down the entire length of the street. According to neighbors, the entire town is like this. Parents are stuck in their house because of a tree falling from across the street into their driveway and power lines down running the the length of their yard along the street. I was there in the dark but it's impressive tree and grid damage.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Yup, just a little further inland.  Plenty of trees down though.  Worst storm for here in quite some time.

No way did 45 mph winds cause that amount of damage. ASOS underrepresent instantaneous gusts. Those wxflow stations are a godsend sampling the real winds. Those one second bursts are what drops trees.

39 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Nice buy the wheel kit, it's 9000 starting 7250 running.  You can run a lot with that. I run 2 fridges, all lights, ceiling fans, heater blowers, well pump, coffee maker ,microwave with a 5500. Of course not all on at once. I hook up directly to my meter 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Nice buy the wheel kit, it's 9000 starting 7250 running.  You can run a lot with that. I run 2 fridges, all lights, ceiling fans, heater blowers, well pump, coffee maker ,microwave with a 5500. Of course not all on at once. I hook up directly to my meter 

You're going to have to tell me how to set up a generator when I get a house in September

• Like 1

Just now, DotRat_Wx said:

You're going to have to tell me how to set up a generator when I get a house in September

Get an automatic transfer Genny using propane with a 100 gallon tank. Spend the cash I wish I had. @butterfish55 can hook you up he's the master electrician . That way you can run everything and not worry about gas or hooking it up.. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Get an automatic transfer Genny using propane with a 100 gallon tank. Spend the cash I wish I had. @butterfish55 can hook you up he's the master electrician . That way you can run everything and not worry about gas or hooking it up.. 

Given my hours and always tending to be at work when the weather is bad, my wife insisted on the auto-transfer. 

I still think it's a little over the top, but I'll admit it's nice not to every have to worry now.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

5 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

I’m going to have @butterfish55 do the electric… and then I’ll by the genny… with well water, this is ridiculous… even if we only lose it a couple times a year 

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Given my hours and always tending to be at work when the weather is bad, my wife insisted on the auto-transfer. 

I still think it's a little over the top, but I'll admit it's nice not to every have to worry now.

I have lost power 15 times in 10 years ranging from 2 days to 10 days. With the state of our forests with all these weakened trees I wish I had . It's bad. Every tree I see down has hallowed out centers. Very sad

11 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I have lost power 15 times in 10 years ranging from 2 days to 10 days. With the state of our forests with all these weakened trees I wish I had . It's bad. Every tree I see down has hallowed out centers. Very sad

That’s nuts.  Since the ‘08 Ice Storm I have only lost it a couple of times and those have been less than 15 hours each (one was a lightning strike, one was a squirrel)   I guess I’m due?

• Like 1

In the 22 years I’ve lived in this house, I don’t think I’ve lost power for more than an hour or two at a time. I think that’s mainly due to living less than a half mile from a sub-station. The propane generator with the auto switch would be a no brainer if I felt there was any threat of semi-regular power outages. 

• Like 2

I have an 8500 w genny but I went with a switch plate on my electrical box, a lot cheaper than one of those sub boxes plus I can run whatever I want, I've have the central air on running other stuff and never had a problem. Cost a lot less to do the switch plate, cost me $500 for the switch and have the electrician set up the plug outside and he made me a 15 foot cord. I had $1,000 plus quotes from other electricians to do it the other way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snowedin said:

Appreciate that, but trust me this isn’t nearly as fun as jumping in feet of powdery snow drifts. Will be shutting off the ol genny app and then it’s back to the sound of silence..for now we embrace the colonial spirit 

Many of us will take several hours of exciting 60-100mph winds and widespread damage/outages, over 2ft of scenic currier and ives snow.   Congrats on the storm and damage

• Weenie 2