Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Potential Major Noreaster 10-26 through 10-27

ineedsnow

43 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

In reality. 

I hate the "if this were winter" or "if this were a winter storm" comparisons anyways. 

It's perfectly valid in this instance...I can see it with respect to claiming 8" of rainfall would be 80" of snow, but it's perfectly valid here...1-3' blizzard. I get it that ir you're but hurt and spew venom out your rear because SNE does snowfall better than severe, but get over it.

• Haha 6
  • Confused 3

44 minutes ago, Supernovice said:

maybe not the time for this- but everyone is saying: it'd be a blizzy...and maybe...but wouldn't the prolonged easterly fetch toaster bath the majority of the region? I guess it all depends on airmass. food for thought i guess.

Depends on airmass and time of year for cp, but prolonged easterly fetch is gold on east slopes. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

To be fair, Bridgeport is not even close to being southeast CT though.  

You’re reading it wrong. “Coastal areas including nyc” max gusts 40-60. That includes spots like BDR. The higher and possibly damaging winds are LI and SECT. They did a poor job writing that out though.

11 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

It's perfectly valid in this instance...I can see it with respect to claiming 8" of rainfall would be 80" of snow, but it's perfectly valid here...1-3' blizzard. I get it that ir you're but hurt and spew venom out your rear because SNE does snowfall better than severe, but get over it.

I love to see these big rainstorms at this time. I don’t know how true this is but I have heard that when there are big nor’easters in the fall, often times that is a good sign for winter because we are establishing a favorable storm track, and those wind driven rainstorms now will be severe nor’easters with blizzard conditions at times in the winter.

• Weenie 2

17 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Convective is mesoscale snowfall is synoptic scale...of course snowfall is going to be better. 

The low is rapidly strengthening off the Jersey coast right now, and is forecast to come up the coast, stalling just se of cape cod and doing a little loop. I don’t see why that wouldn’t be a blizzard in the winter with 2’+ totals considering how much qpf we are getting now (2+, in some areas 4-5 in) It probably wouldn’t be nearly as high in the winter to be fair since the oceans will be cooler, leading to the low not strengthening nearly as much. However it would still be a slow mover and that is how you get those really big snowfall totals. We have severe North Atlantic blocking in place right now, which increases the ceiling and is why this storm is producing so much QPF now. 

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 3

10 minutes ago, Sn0waddict said:

HRRR looks to be shifting south (not coming as far north) May not make too much of a difference though in the end.

I wouldn't be shocked if it did, but if it sort of starts flopping around (think football going end to end as it goes through the uprights) each little lob heading west increases LLJ even well to the north. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

You’re reading it wrong. “Coastal areas including nyc” max gusts 40-60. That includes spots like BDR. The higher and possibly damaging winds are LI and SECT. They did a poor job writing that out though.

Ya ok I see what you mean. And you’re right, that was a lousy job writing that out.