• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The "Perfect Storm" 30 Years later...

Cold Miser

I was in elementary school....it wasn't a huge deal over the interior, but it was windy and rainy for several days. I do remember all the news footage of the coastline though getting smoked with the huge tides and surf. The Perfect Storm actually did quite a bit of damage to the outer sand bank at Chatham which had first been breached in the '78 storm. But that '91 damage set the stage for the December 1992 storm to rip it open much more a little over a year later.....the rest is history as the erosion has really increased without that outer sand bar protecting it.

• Like 1

I was in Michigan for that one... I had moved back there for just that one autumn/winter to care-take my grandfather's home, for he'd taken to illness and needed palliative care back east with the rest of the family.

There wasn't much impact by the storm there      lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

I was in elementary school....it wasn't a huge deal over the interior, but it was windy and rainy for several days. I do remember all the news footage of the coastline though getting smoked with the huge tides and surf. The Perfect Storm actually did quite a bit of damage to the outer sand bank at Chatham which had first been breached in the '78 storm. But that '91 damage set the stage for the December 1992 storm to rip it open much more a little over a year later.....the rest is history as the erosion has really increased without that outer sand bar protecting it.

That outer bar probably had taken a hit in February 1952, "The Finest Hours" storm.

For here, the main effects for the Perfect Storm arrived several days after the loss of Andrea Gale, on Nov 1.  We (Parks and Lands foresters) were exploring the recently acquired Donnell Pond tract east of Ellsworth, in a 40° downpour.  I'd intended to walk halfway around Black Mountain then down the notch between the 2 peaks, but missed the turn and walked the extra 2 miles around both peaks.  Despite my rain jacket I was totally drenched.  Several rain-free hours later we stopped for coffee in Ellsworth and when I pulled a dollar from my wallet there was water dripping from it.  (One of my favorite walks ever.  It included a magical looking spruce slope forest with the rocky ground covered in spruce seedlings or deep lush moss, the intense green made even moreso in the rain.)

• Like 3

It was windy for about 3 days prior to when the actual storm hit. Constant NE winds 30-40 or so. When the storm did hit, I remember some limbs down and a large white pine across the street that snapped. 

Friend of our family lived on the water in Marshfield. She came home to her house literally as an outer shell of itself. The wave action ripped the house down to the outer wall. Her washer and dryer were in a salt water marsh across the street. Lots of houses were rebuilt and put on stilts after that storm. It's a good thing, because the recent storms since 2010 really would have been devastating if the codes weren't changed. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

...Where were you?

I was at school in Bristol, R.I.

34 years old, on the beach in Weekapaug, watched as rogue waves as high as 30 ft cut massively into the dunes. Huge rocks were thrown over them, one dented my car. Most impressive storm . Sustained 50s and 60s for 24 hrs. The shriek on the ocean was as loud as it gets. Later in November my college coastal erosion class would investigate the dune erosion. We found artifacts from the 38 and 54 hurricanes and clear definitions of their overwash in the dunes.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

34 years old, on the beach in Weekapaug, watched as rogue waves as high as 30 ft cut massively into the dunes. Huge rocks were thrown over them, one dented my car. Most impressive storm . Sustained 50s and 60s for 24 hrs. The shriek on the ocean was as loud as it gets. Later in November my college coastal erosion class would investigate the dune erosion. We found artifacts from the 38 and 54 hurricanes and clear definitions of their overwash in the dunes.

Shit. This is awesome.
Bristol was windy in the bay, but nothing like the coast.

Not a lot of vivid memories of the storm besides being awed by the force of the wind at Little Boar's Head at N. Hampton NH, down the road from my parent's house. I don't remember this anecdote...taken from https://www.farmersalmanac.com/remembering-the-perfect-storm-3314

As if this unusual three-prong storm wasn’t bad enough, a second hurricane formed at the heart of the nor’easter, further fanning the storm’s fury. This new hurricane was never named because meteorologists feared it would create too much confusion. For this reason, many people along the East Coast refer to the nor’easter as the “No Name Storm.” Had the second hurricane been named, the next name in the rotation would have been Hurricane Henri.

On 10/21/2021 at 2:53 PM, Typhoon Tip said:

I was in Michigan for that one... I had moved back there for just that one autumn/winter to care-take my grandfather's home, for he'd taken to illness and needed palliative care back east with the rest of the family.

There wasn't much impact by the storm there      lol

You needed to be a little further west.  The UL pattern was so crazy that Minnesota and up into Winnipeg had an all-time record snow storm, while the perfect storm was hitting New England.