• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
MO/KS/AR/OK 2021-2022 Winter Discussion

JoMo

The Euro just smiled on the NW AR peeps wanting a lot of snow. Looks like heavy snow slams the area on midnight Thursday. (06z UTC) Snow then lingers well into Friday too. (accumulation map shows Noonish Friday with flurries possibly remaining)

prateptype_cat_ecmwf.us_sc.png

sn10_acc.us_sc.png

Also almost every GFS ensemble is showing the 4 state region getting slammed with heavy snow. Incredible.

GEFSSGP_prec_snens_096.png

TSA mentioning potential lake effect snow in north to south oriented lakes here  in OK. Specifically mentions Lake Oologah, which I can confirm produced lake effect snow at my house last year during the intense cold snap. 

I'm just summarizing here, but they essentially said, that at a minimum, NE OK and NW AR should see 4 inches of snow, but could see 7-10 inches in a "reasonable worst case scenario".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ouamber said:

Well, the Decision Page came down to reality! LOL

I figured it would lol. My assumption is that it's generated by using a blend of models, and they don't actively make it themselves. So sometimes it has an error, or grabs an erroneous model run that sends it to the moon, etc. 

Point is, I don't usually take much stock in their decision support page lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, rockchalk83 said:

How are we feeling, everyone? This definitely looks like the most impactful winter storm our forum has had in sometime! Have you all chucked the global models and started looking at short-term stuff? 

Feeling pretty good, surprisingly. Definitely transitioning to a now cast. Will be monitoring temps to see how quickly cold air pushes in. As of now appears a transition to snow occurs around 11p-12a or so here locally. Appears most will see good snow here in SC Ks, with a few lucky folks getting under a heavy band or two to get the higher end of predictions. So will be watching radar trends closely as snow sets in.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, stormdragonwx said:

I'm betting this will be comparable to the Jan 2010 storm.

EDIT: Now if we can get the cold air in here sooner on all levels and not get dry slotted unlike this past system we had earlier in January, I can see this being a redux of the Groundhog Day 2011 storm.

I wasn't here until 2013 but my buddy actually told me about that 2011 storm and said ya'll got a ton of snow? from that one! Feb 1st 2011 we lived in Missouri(central) and it was the most intense heavy snow I ever witnessed in my life probly, we got nearly 25" of snow from that storm in maybe 8-10 hours!! Of course it had melted off in a few days and was a complete mud/flood mess lol.

44 minutes ago, NwWhiteOut said:

I wasn't here until 2013 but my buddy actually told me about that 2011 storm and said ya'll got a ton of snow? from that one! Feb 1st 2011 we lived in Missouri(central) and it was the most intense heavy snow I ever witnessed in my life probly, we got nearly 25" of snow from that storm in maybe 8-10 hours!! Of course it had melted off in a few days and was a complete mud/flood mess lol.

Yeah 14"-24" was common along I-44. Then a few days later (Feb 8th-9th) a similar storm dropped nearly the same amount along the 412 corridor into NW AR. That was also around the time the record -31 low was recorded in Nowata, OK.

December 2013 was a decent storm system too. On the low end this storm could be comparable to that one as well.

• Like 1