Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
MO/KS/AR/OK 2021-2022 Winter Discussion

JoMo

11 minutes ago, andyhb said:

I have a bad feeling about I-44 particularly in OK with this one. Setup screams either a big sleet event with snow/ZR mixed in, or a nasty ice storm.

The magic I 44 line will be deciding once again.  I am thinking a good sleet event in Tulsa metro with a great layer of ice for the snow to fall on allowing us to suffer with the cold for several days. 

Thanks StormChazer for the maps.  
Currently I would say the NWS Tulsa map above is the most likely scenario for those of us in NW AR based on current model runs.  As most of us have heard before cold, shallow air typically has a very difficult time oozing through the Ozark and Boston Mountains.  This begins pretty much at the Benton/Washington County line in Arkansas and struggles to push south of there.  The models seem to depict that pretty well with the surface temp projections.   
I recall previous ice/sleet storms where portions of far NW Benton Co (Gravette) are snow while a few miles SE is sleet.  

Not sure if any of that is helpful.  Unfortunately I’m not super knowledgeable on the 850mb piece of things that JoMo has mentioned a few times so I can’t speak to that part too much.  

The 18z maps above are marginally better than the GFS was.  Looks like there will be a very sharp cutoff for some of us.  Those of you in SW MO and Tulsa/north are probably in the sweet spot for more snow accumulations.   Let’s hold out hope the 00z runs shift back SE a bit.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Waterboy said:

Not sure if any of that is helpful.  Unfortunately I’m not super knowledgeable on the 850mb piece of things that JoMo has mentioned a few times so I can’t speak to that part too much.  

Go to Pivotalweather, then pick the NAM model, Zoom into Central US. Then look under "Upper Air: Height/Wind/Temperature". After that, go under "Temperature and Wind" Go to "850 mb, Temperature, Height, Wind"

The blue/green line is basically where the 850 MB freezing line is. Anything north (and west) of that is going to be snow in this particular scenario because all the other levels of the atmosphere are below freezing. anything SE of that line will be sleet/freezing rain/rain depending on temps. 

31 minutes ago, MoWeatherguy said:

The current solutions are far from locked in.  Jog back SE in the next 24 hours wouldn't surprise me.  Just my opinion.   Seen this dog and pony show too many times. 

I’ve also seen it continue to trend NW right up until it starts. The trend is not good for any of us right now. 

1 minute ago, MUWX said:

I’ve also seen it continue to trend NW right up until it starts. The trend is not good for any of us right now. 

That's usually with strengthening systems though, not dying ones. 

00z GFS looks to be pretty stable. 

• Like 2

You would think as long as I’ve been watching models, I should’ve known NOT to fall for some of those “Big numbers” that were being thrown out. I’m going with 22 with sleet and freezing rain for Tulsa with maybe 2 inches of snow on top. #IHateThisHobby :facepalm: 

Tell me when the NW trend stops!

7 minutes ago, ouamber said:

You would think as long as I’ve been watching models, I should’ve known NOT to fall for some of those “Big numbers” that were being thrown out. I’m going with 22 with sleet and freezing rain for Tulsa with maybe 2 inches of snow on top. #IHateThisHobby :facepalm: 

Tell me when the NW trend stops!

I feel your pain. Its why I was so cynical on this last system that came thru earlier in the month. lol

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, MoWeatherguy said:

All hope is not lost.   We still have the Ukie painting out a widespread 6-8 across this entire area.  This is probably a useless model tho.

Pretty sure UKMET combines all frozen precip as "snow" on those maps. 

06z NAM continued going north, 06z GFS went farther SE.

Winter Storm Watches are now in effect for some areas. 

Springfield:

" It is worth mentioning that the ECMWF Extreme Forecast Index indicates a potential for an anomalous snowfall, and the Shift of Tails indicates that at least 50 of the ECMWF ensemble members are forecasting a higher-end snow. Again, the warm nose will be a big determining factor."

Looks like Wichita is forecasting 6-12" or so of snow.

Tulsa will issue a Winter Storm Watch in 12-24 hours. 

The trends on the 06z NAM are definitely concerning. 

06z EURO also ramps up the ice, but keeps the heavy snow, too. I don't want the freezing rain. Ugh. 

The GFS continues to hold serve. I hope that it is right, but that warm nose is way too pesky for my liking. I am glad I cut some limbs and stocked up on supplies yesterday. 

• Like 1

The NAM is the outlier for now and is out on the later end of its range still. GFS/Canadian have so far been the most consistent models and have also been the coldest. Euro somewhere in the middle. That said, can’t ignore the number of times warm noses have been underestimated at this range. We’ll see what 12z brings. 

• Like 2