• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
MO/KS/AR/OK 2021-2022 Winter Discussion

JoMo

The storm system sliding down the Front Range of the Rockies had dumped 12-20" in a narrow band from west central Kansas into northeast Colorado. 

Euro & GFS show the possibility of snow showers in OK tomorrow into Thursday, not much accumulation though. 

Looking farther abroad, the models seem to be honing in on a busy period (anything would be considered "busy" after the winter we've had so far) beginning around next Monday. At least one storm shown on the main 12z model suite. 

Perhaps JoMo or some of the others can elaborate on the broader strokes behind the pattern change, but it looked to me that the MJO gets into phase 8 as the AO trends negative.

9 hours ago, rockchalk83 said:

The storm system sliding down the Front Range of the Rockies had dumped 12-20" in a narrow band from west central Kansas into northeast Colorado. 

Euro & GFS show the possibility of snow showers in OK tomorrow into Thursday, not much accumulation though. 

Looking farther abroad, the models seem to be honing in on a busy period (anything would be considered "busy" after the winter we've had so far) beginning around next Monday. At least one storm shown on the main 12z model suite. 

Perhaps JoMo or some of the others can elaborate on the broader strokes behind the pattern change, but it looked to me that the MJO gets into phase 8 as the AO trends negative.

That western Kansas band is nightmare fuel. A 5-10 mile wide band got hammered. I think one location for 27 inches, which is almost a state record. Outside of that bad, got substantially less. 

9 hours ago, rockchalk83 said:

Yeah, looks like some chances for flurries/snow showers wed night/thurs and then maybe a couple of bigger storms the first week of Feb, location uncertain at this time though. After that, things get kind of questionable as the ensembles vary on what happens next.

• Like 1

Feels like it's been forever since I've been on here. Beyond boring pattern here in ICT lately. At least western ks was able to get some excitement in spots as mentioned above. However, it looks like there is finally something meaningful to watch over the next week. Most models showing at least some type of storm system crossing the southern plains as talked about above. I like that this is backed up by what looks to be the AO dipping to negative or at least neutral around this time. Along with a pattern change from northwest to southwest flow. Details will come, but I think someone on this board gets some meaningful winter precip a week or so from now. Here's to hoping! Regardless of moisture type, the drought in the southern plains continues to expand north and east so I'll take any meaningful moisture we can get!

• Like 1

SGF: 

Beyond Monday, much uncertainty exists with sensible weather and
potential impacts. Ensembles show considerable spreads in both
temperatures and precipitation amounts, thus confidence is very
low beyond Monday. Overall signals though do indicate a more
active period with the potential for some impactful weather,
However details are very much up in the air. As an example of the
spread can be seen in NBM temperature ranges that by Wednesday
have a 20 degree range for highs (37 to 57). GEFS plumes of QPF
also showing a large spread in solutions.

9 minutes ago, StormChazer said:

Intense ice storm on the 12Z Canadian.

Last night's Euro backed off on the snow but increased ice outputs(frz rain and sleet) for our area.

This morning and the noon run of the GFS pushes the storm to the north and leaves all of us relatively high and dry.

Would think that unless the baroclinic zone stops, that most of the region would get in on some form of wintry precip. The Canadian has mirrored the Euro to some extent with two waves of precip along a stationary front. 

I'm already living and dying by the models in the NE forum (yes, I'm a degenerate), Euro runs in an hour...let's see what happens. 

• Haha 1

TSA on next week.

"Deep cyclonic flow is expected to develop over the western 2/3rds
of the CONUS toward the middle of next week. Another arctic air
invasion is expected as this occurs as surface high pressure,
with origins near the Yukon and Northwest Territory, comes clear
down into the northern CONUS. The concomitant arctic front will
likely precede the passage of the upper wave axis, leading to a
plethora of potential issues. Along/ahead of the front, some data
is painting an axis of locally heavy rainfall which could be over
far eastern OK into western AR or just slightly to the east. Then,
as the cold air spills south with the front, a wintry mix is