Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2021 General Discussion

Hoosier

2 hours ago, Jim Martin said:

Meh, yeah more fall-like weather compared to the blast furnace we've been experiencing, but I'm seeing no chance of frost in the next 10 days, which is the normal dates of the first frost in our area. In fact, I'm not even seeing any 30's in the current modeling.

41 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

A nice band of rain popped over Cedar Rapids late this evening.  My final total is 2.19".

Nice soaking to be sure.  Finished with a 2-day total of 1.87" here.

Wednesday it looks like the arc of convection will be slowly crapping the bed as it traverses Iowa, so not expecting much with that system for this area.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WestMichigan said:

0.07" from matching my combined August and September rainfall in just the first 12 days of October.  Definitely a nice change from the dry conditions of the last two months.  Guessing the yellow will disappear from this part of Michigan in the weekly drought monitor.

Scratch that, with this mornings light drizzle/rain I have now equalled my August/September combined rainfall in the first 12 days of October.  Hopefully we can keep the moisture flowing once it cools off and get a decent winter.

• Like 1

A series of heavy downpours here this morning put another 0.91" in my gauge.  It has been a great last week, with three systems all dumping near the top of the model qpf range.  My total over the last week is a whopping 4.13".  That'll put a nice dent in the drought.  This time, the weak sun and much cooler weather will allow the soil to remain moist.

• Like 3

On 10/11/2021 at 8:42 PM, IWXwx said:

Meh, yeah more fall-like weather compared to the blast furnace we've been experiencing, but I'm seeing no chance of frost in the next 10 days, which is the normal dates of the first frost in our area. In fact, I'm not even seeing any 30's in the current modeling.

ORD still hasn’t hit the 40s yet this season. :lmao: Will probably happen Saturday morning, but still…

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

A series of heavy downpours here this morning put another 0.91" in my gauge.  It has been a great last week, with three systems all dumping near the top of the model qpf range.  My total over the last week is a whopping 4.13".  That'll put a nice dent in the drought.  This time, the weak sun and much cooler weather will allow the soil to remain moist.

Yeah this has been great.  Picked up another 1.02" of rain today, bringing October to 4.64".

Planted a new Jane magnolia tree, and a green giant arborvitae back on Oct 3rd, so I'm giving them credit for changing our luck lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Late last week it looked like a solid 1-2” soaker today. By Monday it appeared more like 0.50”. The NWS graphic for today had us at 0.1-0.25”.

Storm total of 0.02” when the trend has been dry all year ride it I guess.

Meanwhile over here..

-Another round of rain Friday afternoon/night

Potent shortwave moving through the base of the approaching wrn
longwave trough ejects our way later Friday into Friday night.
Scattered showers and storms will persist along the frontal
boundary Friday before the main wave comes out, mainly south and
east of GRR. Then as the shortwave approaches later in the day,
look for rain to become more widespread over the bulk of the area.
Deformation shield may set up overhead, with widespread rain
persisting most of Friday night as well. The axis of heaviest
total rainfall looks to mainly impact se Lwr MI, possibly
including the JXN/LAN areas, where amounts over an inch are
possible.