• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2021 General Discussion

Hoosier

First half of the month looks like a torch overall around here... Should build a fairly formidable positive departure through the 15th.

Even with the ULL meandering around the SE next week, should still see average to above average temps around here. Beyond that, ENS have been coming more onboard the past several days regarding another push of warmer temperatures somewhere in the 8-14th timeframe.

-PNA is slowly starting to develop, becoming more - with time. ENS support is high for a continuation through mid month, which supports the overall mild idea expected to continue.

12 hours ago, purduewx80 said:

Ash trees have been slowly turning here for a couple weeks. Probably muted colors this year with the drought hangover and late warmth. 
60D8BFFF-B61F-4F1B-A664-68C53BEDDA29.thumb.jpeg.3801b6857df391bb314374be7b229d72.jpeg

Looking forward to a few downpours later, if everything goes right.

I'm surprised you have any healthy ash trees left down there. The emerald ash borer wiped out almost all of them  in Michigan in the past 10 years. 

A little toy train must have set up bisecting the county southwest to northeast last night with me in the center getting 0.90" in the tippy bucket so far.  Agrees well with the radar estimates out of KIND. Now to see if we add anything meaningful on the backside of the system.

9 hours ago, outflow said:

I'm surprised you have any healthy ash trees left down there. The emerald ash borer wiped out almost all of them  in Michigan in the past 10 years. 

Chicago has a program in place to treat what they estimate to be 85,000 ash trees on public property. You can even report suspected infections on the city's 311 site. That pic was on a boulevard w/ ~20 of them, all treated, tagged and healthy. In some ways I guess it's easier to take care of them in a city than in large, rural groves.

My dad has saved a few on his property in southern IN, as they're one of his favorites.

• Like 2

Chicago has a program in place to treat what they estimate to be 85,000 ash trees on public property. You can even report suspected infections on the city's 311 site. That pic was on a boulevard w/ ~20 of them, all treated, tagged and healthy. In some ways I guess it's easier to take care of them in a city than in large, rural groves.
My dad has saved a few on his property in southern IN, as they're one of his favorites.

Out here in the suburbs there are still some scattered about, but a majority are gone.

Yeah have seen a lot of dead/dying ash trees around here as well the past few years.  The neighbors next door lost theirs this year.  

The sugar maples are turning pretty nicely already out this way.  The one I planted last fall is starting to show color as well.

Ended up getting hit by a tiny isolated thunderstorm last evening, dropped a quick 0.36" which was great to see.

• Like 2

A majority of public ash trees are dead/dying around here but many on private property have been inoculated, and are thriving. 

October looks like an extension of summer this year. Although I'm sure we will see an abrupt swing towards the end of the month. I’ve lived in Minneapolis for 6 years and all but one has produced accumulating snow in October.