Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

35 minutes ago, Chinook said:

It's too bad this larger upper level low will not bring a lot of precipitation to the West these days. There has been some rain in California, but otherwise only scattered rain and snow in the Mountain West region. My area will get rain showers tomorrow. For me, Saturday was upper 70s, and yesterday was only 59 or 60 degrees due to clouds. Today, there were upper 40's as of late morning, and then got to the upper 70's in the afternoon with the mixing of the afternoon. Now, there are kind of washed-out clouds at sunset, with no real sunset colors. I didn't get any pictures of lenticular clouds today, but maybe somebody posted some pics of UFO-shaped clouds on twitter somewhere.

The US drought monitor has been updated to category D0 and D1 in some parts of Colorado. 

ene6dX3.jpg

WhmaRmX.jpg

and now we have a second fire, and I saw that smoke this afternoon

mw3LTXU.jpg

I am in N California this week at Redwoods NP. Some rain but not as much as I expected to see. That fire was pretty close to my home. Sad to see so many wildfires over the past few days. 

The models agree on a low pressure developing Sunday with rain/snow near the Colorado Wyoming border, with possible rain/snow for me at 06z Sunday (midnight). That low will be gone quickly. Then the big question mark is Tuesday, where models have a deep low pressure development with snow over the western half of Colorado. The 12z ECMWF does not have the high values of QPF/snow over eastern Colorado, like previous runs. Overall, ensembles/WPC forecasts show some QPF of 0.4-0.8" for the northeast quarter of Colorado over the next 7 days (or more.) This could be something that changes quickly, even though ensembles shouldn't be as changeable as operational runs.