Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

4 hours ago, mayjawintastawm said:

Is it just me and social media, or has the East Coast had more than its share of winter epics the last 6-7 years? When I lived in MA, we had a big storm every 2-3 years, but I don't remember having anywhere near this many. Plus there has been a lot more cold Ohio Valley and east the past few years, that's certain.

I moved from the mid Atlantic in summer 2019.  2009-2010 remains the best (50" of snow in one week) but since then we'd be lucky to get one good storm (8"+) per season

My thinking is that the East Coast has had more high-NESIS storms from 2002-03 up to the "Great Snow" of 2015, but possibly including the January 23, 2016 storm. Then, I think things have been somewhat more quiet, particularly for Boston starting 2018-2019.  "Great Snow" is somewhat in reference to the colonists' "Great Snow of 1717."

My area has stayed cooler than Denver since the weekend, with diminishing snow depth, but not zero.

I'm pretty sure this will get lost if I post it in Mid-Atlantic, New York or other subforums, so here it is. Analogs #6, #7 and #12 kind of look like the GFS/Canadian this evening, but, hey, winter of 2002-2003 shows up three times, and ... Snowmageddon, and 12/5/03, the last storm that is in the Kocin-Uccellini (2004)

v4gh3kd.jpg

16 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I moved from the mid Atlantic in summer 2019.  2009-2010 remains the best (50" of snow in one week) but since then we'd be lucky to get one good storm (8"+) per season

So it's probably the social media effect then. I remember driving from MA to FL in the late winter/early spring of 2010... a few days after the big storms and a few months before moving to CO. Never seen such snowbanks in MD/VA!!

14 hours ago, Chinook said:

I'm pretty sure this will get lost if I post it in Mid-Atlantic, New York or other subforums, so here it is. Analogs #6, #7 and #12 kind of look like the GFS/Canadian this evening, but, hey, winter of 2002-2003 shows up three times, and ... Snowmageddon, and 12/5/03, the last storm that is in the Kocin-Uccellini (2004)

Amazing how a tiny difference in trajectory creates such different outcomes for the major EC cities. But the majority seem to track the heavy snow inland. I remember 12/5/03 well, had a 6 yo and a 4 yo kid and we built a VERY large snow fort once I was able to get home from work.

47 minutes ago, mayjawintastawm said:

Amazing how a tiny difference in trajectory creates such different outcomes for the major EC cities. But the majority seem to track the heavy snow inland. I remember 12/5/03 well, had a 6 yo and a 4 yo kid and we built a VERY large snow fort once I was able to get home from work.

I don't know about you, but my best memories as a kid (and later with my kids) mostly involve big snow events.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ValpoVike said:

I don't know about you, but my best memories as a kid (and later with my kids) mostly involve big snow events.

I was 12 in the Blizzard of '78 in E MA, when my parents took their only vacation without us EVER - to Bermuda. They were stuck there for an extra week, and we had off school for almost 2 weeks. Plow took 3 days to get to our street. We had fun with the babysitter, jumping off our roof into the drifts, and had to XC ski to the corner store to get whatever they had left. Now that was fun!

Interesting fact: a volcano erupted in Tonga (southwest Pacific Ocean) at 04z (Jan 15.) and sent an atmospheric pressure wave and a tsunami halfway across the world. There was a small (?) tsunami detected in Alaska. Barometers picked up a pressure fluctuation across the USA.

• Like 1

I was looking at the monthly SOI readings back to the 1930s earlier today. If we hold on around -7 in January, that's really unusual after very positive readings in Nov-Dec. One of the top years that shows up as a match for February is 2019. Really hope people in Montana don't have to go through that level of bullshit cold again.

13 hours ago, ValpoVike said:

I kind of doubt the northern amounts, but the models are all pretty close on a decent hit for foothills and palmer.

Yeah, this could overperform here if the moisture holds on long enough... forecast winds are just about perfect for upslope for my neighborhood (~020 for a solid 8 hour period)

Nothing in reality looks exactly like the GFS 180 hour forecast. Nevertheless, we've certainly had times when you've been sort of right. It seems like we have broken out of the very long dry period. It seems like this sort of upper level trough is supported by ensembles.

23 hours ago, Chinook said:

Snow reports from Denver are 4" to 5", similar to my area.

The snow award goes to some rural area outside of Goodland, with apparently some awesome dynamics

5Lo25bn.png

I was looking at that as it was happening. Our friends just north of Burlington got a foot, while reports 10 miles away were like 5-7 inches. There was this narrow band that sat, then pivoted, right where those big amounts were, with what looked like upper level rotation moving W-->E. 

We got 4.5", consistent with half the world.