Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October Banter 2021

George BM

6 minutes ago, H2O said:

See I like Paul Arriola. DC homer tho. I’m not familiar enough with the entire squad to know if there is a better player that should be played instead of him

i don't even dislike him...he plays hard and is constantly working and he seems like good teammate...he's just technically not at a level where he should be starting over some of the other players available in a WCQ for the USMNT...he'd have been a fine player on this team 10 years ago but now he's just not good enough...my ire is more directed at gregggg for always starting this guy in big games...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been busy with projects since returning from my trip. After having a new/bigger parking pad put in out in front a couple months ago, it was time to erase the old parking area and upper section of the driveway- which required 3 dump truck loads of dirt-some select fill and some topsoil. The upper part of the old parking area(where gravel from the old driveway is piled up) will eventually become a patio, and the area I filled in in front of that will get layers of trees and other plants. I have also been working on a walkway from the front of the house out to the new parking area, using bluestone pavers and re-purposing the bluestone gravel from the old parking area/driveway. Pretty much finished the grading project today, and have seeded and put straw down. Hoping to get some growth before "winter", and it looks like a good bet with the subtropical Fall we get these days.

338767116_dirt1.jpg.4d6d10afc8bd956eb52e720601210b04.jpg

dirt2.jpg.5e81c7435c66764ba85644e9c3587906.jpg

dirt3.jpg.b727f037b957fb7591a0dac83f9429b9.jpg

dirt4.jpg.765f82bb42ee790d1e729d0d4e5e0c29.jpg

walkway.jpg.532011792e3893c59b5e608633c7e9d6.jpg

• Like 11

28 minutes ago, MacChump said:

i don't even dislike him...he plays hard and is constantly working and he seems like good teammate...he's just technically not at a level where he should be starting over some of the other players available in a WCQ for the USMNT...he'd have been a fine player on this team 10 years ago but now he's just not good enough...my ire is more directed at gregggg for always starting this guy in big games...

I can only assume because Paul is a vet they due to the youth of the team he wants at least one person out there a lot that has a veteran presence.

1 hour ago, MacChump said:

2 parter:

1) should gregg berhalter be fired simply because he intended to start paul arriola last night; and related,

2) does the fact that paul arriola was injured in warmups before the game prove the existence of a higher power?

1) I think I understand why he started Arriola, but I don't agree with it - I wanted Weah from the start. I think think he wanted to have Arriola harass, pressure, and run at Costa Rica to wear them down, then sub Weah for him so he could run at a tired defense. I get the thinking behind it, but again I don't agree with it. I think how we played proved this out because Arriola isn't the best player to have out there to build from the back like we did.

2) Only if we know what the outcome would have been had Arriola started, but that higher power is the only thing to know the result in that alternate universe, so I suppose that's a serious philosophical dilemma.

6 minutes ago, H2O said:

I can only assume because Paul is a vet they due to the youth of the team he wants at least one person out there a lot that has a veteran presence.

This isn't a bad take, to be honest, but I don't feel like Arriola is quite veteran enough (even being the elder statesman on the team at 26!) to bring that "old hat" wisdom to a team.

42 minutes ago, MacChump said:

Yes. This. All this.

So…with the caveat that a LOT can fall through before this actually happens, my wife and I have decided to try and downsize and have put in an offer on a place that was accepted in…Monkton. That’s right, I am making a run at being at least close enough to call myself a part of the northern crew. It’s maybe 5-10 miles south of Mappy but definitely far enough north to not sweat marginal temps on systems like I have to where i currently reside.  

problem is, need to sell my house now fairly quickly. I am skeptical that everything will come together but if it does by mid-December will be testing out a different local climate.  

need to learn the secret handshake from mappy and Hoff et al if I am far enough north to warrant inclusion…

• Like 9

46 minutes ago, MacChump said:

I think he has a place in the team, but I agree that he shouldn't be in the starting 11. When we're healthy, our winger depth chart is something like this:

1. Pulisic
  2. Reyna*
  3. Aaronson
  4. Weah
  5. Hoppe*
  6. de la Fuente
  7. Arriola

I'd honestly like to see what Reyna could do as an 8 in the 4-3-3, which would mean one of Musah, McKennie, or Adams would have to make way (I'd start Aaronson on the wing in this case). No way Adams sits, so it's one of McKennie or Musah, which is a really tough decision. Or we could go with a 4-2-3-1, with Adams and McKennie/Musah as the 6s and Reyna as that 10.

Hoppe is an interesting case. He's played on the wing for the US, but he's more of a striker. It's a toss-up between him and de la Fuente in the depth chart on the wing. It'd be interesting to see him and Pepi as two up front, but I just don't see us playing that way any time soon.

49 minutes ago, mattie g said:

1) I think I understand why he started Arriola, but I don't agree with it - I wanted Weah from the start. I think think he wanted to have Arriola harass, pressure, and run at Costa Rica to wear them down, then sub Weah for him so he could run at a tired defense. I get the thinking behind it, but again I don't agree with it. I think how we played proved this out because Arriola isn't the best player to have out there to build from the back like we did.

2) Only if we know what the outcome would have been had Arriola started, but that higher power is the only thing to know the result in that alternate universe, so I suppose that's a serious philosophical dilemma.

as to 1) agree

as to 2) i suppose that this may be technically correct but on the other hand i *just know* that arriola doesn't score weah's (own) goal on any timeline even if we assume an infinite multiverse which i guess is impossible but still

44 minutes ago, mattie g said:

This isn't a bad take, to be honest, but I don't feel like Arriola is quite veteran enough (even being the elder statesman on the team at 26!) to bring that "old hat" wisdom to a team.

yeah...how awesome is it that the grizzled vet is 26

43 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Yes. This. All this.

my man

27 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I think he has a place in the team, but I agree that he shouldn't be in the starting 11. When we're healthy, our winger depth chart is something like this:

1. Pulisic
  2. Reyna*
  3. Aaronson
  4. Weah
  5. Hoppe*
  6. de la Fuente
  7. Arriola

I'd honestly like to see what Reyna could do as an 8 in the 4-3-3, which would mean one of Musah, McKennie, or Adams would have to make way (I'd start Aaronson on the wing in this case). No way Adams sits, so it's one of McKennie or Musah, which is a really tough decision. Or we could go with a 4-2-3-1, with Adams and McKennie/Musah as the 6s and Reyna as that 10.

Hoppe is an interesting case. He's played on the wing for the US, but he's more of a striker. It's a toss-up between him and de la Fuente in the depth chart on the wing. It'd be interesting to see him and Pepi as two up front, but I just don't see us playing that way any time soon.

i like your rankings

if you put Reyna in at the 8 in a 4-3-3, i think i would sit McKennie which would have been blasphemy for me until we finally got to see Musah...like you said, Adams is inked in at the 6 for the forseeable future...really not sure what the best formation is although i think the 4-3-3 is maybe my current favorite--Dest and Robinson bombing up the outsides, Richards and Brooks? (maybe Miles but idk) at CBs, Adams, Musah and Reyna, and then Puli, Aaronson/Weah and Pepi (or even try out Weah at striker?)...i'd run that out any day

edit to add: i really like Hoppe...he seems like sort of a dick which i like and they need a bit of, will keep my eye on him this fall

• Like 1

1 hour ago, H2O said:

also, there is a more nefarious explanation that i'm not sure is incorrect but i don't know for sure--i.e. USSF has directed that the MLS must be adequately represented in these matches

22 minutes ago, MacChump said:

as to 1) agree

as to 2) i suppose that this may be technically correct but on the other hand i *just know* that arriola doesn't score weah's (own) goal on any timeline even if we assume an infinite multiverse which i guess is impossible but still

yeah...how awesome is it that the grizzled vet is 26

my man

i like your rankings

if you put Reyna in at the 8 in a 4-3-3, i think i would sit McKennie which would have been blasphemy for me until we finally got to see Musah...like you said, Adams is inked in at the 6 for the forseeable future...really not sure what the best formation is although i think the 4-3-3 is maybe my current favorite--Dest and Robinson bombing up the outsides, Richards and Brooks? (maybe Miles but idk) at CBs, Adams, Musah and Reyna, and then Puli, Aaronson/Weah and Pepi (or even try out Weah at striker?)...i'd run that out any day

edit to add: i really like Hoppe...he seems like sort of a dick which i like and they need a bit of, will keep my eye on him this fall

I nearly agree on Arriola's chances in an infinite multiverse of striking that own goal like Weah did . I think it happens three time, at most.

The age of this group is insane. I think those of us who have followed the US for a long time understood that this was coming, even after the disaster in T&T four years ago, but to see it play out is pretty incredible. I think 2022 is still a cycle too early for this group to really lay down a marker, but 2026? Holy crap...most of these guys will be in their prime at that point, with still more young players who will no doubt be ready to contribute by then.

Thanks. Our attacking options when we're healthy are pretty impressive, even if our #9 situation isn't so great. Musah and McKennie both bring something different to the table, but I can't disagree with your take completely on sitting McKennie in favor of Musah, but it could be decision based on the situation presented by the opposition.

I like your lineup options, and pretty much agree with them. Richards, Brooks, Miles, Zimmerman...all good options. I'm absolutely not against having Weah slot in at the 9 if the situation calls for it. I think it would be an interesting twist.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MacChump said:

also, there is a more nefarious explanation that i'm not sure is incorrect but i don't know for sure--i.e. USSF has directed that the MLS must be adequately represented in these matches

I really don't think this is happening. Plenty of players who have made the jump to Europe from MLS are in the squad, so that represents MLS quite well, in my opinion.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

So…with the caveat that a LOT can fall through before this actually happens, my wife and I have decided to try and downsize and have put in an offer on a place that was accepted in…Monkton. That’s right, I am making a run at being at least close enough to call myself a part of the northern crew. It’s maybe 5-10 miles south of Mappy but definitely far enough north to not sweat marginal temps on systems like I have to where i currently reside.  

problem is, need to sell my house now fairly quickly. I am skeptical that everything will come together but if it does by mid-December will be testing out a different local climate.  

need to learn the secret handshake from mappy and Hoff et al if I am far enough north to warrant inclusion…

Soooo excited for you friend! Lots of crossed fingers for you! 

• Thanks 1

Does anyone have a a good recommendation for a personal weather station from actual use? I had an old one that a tree branch just fell and broke. It used a radio transmitter to send to a pad that I could download to the computer. Way old school for the ones I just looked at now. I’m not too sure if the WiFi ones would work here since I’m on DSL and signal/speeds are terrible. Thanks for any insight. I don’t need super fancy. 

Guest fourstops
4 hours ago, 5-4-3DP said:

Does anyone have a a good recommendation for a personal weather station from actual use? I had an old one that a tree branch just fell and broke. It used a radio transmitter to send to a pad that I could download to the computer. Way old school for the ones I just looked at now. I’m not too sure if the WiFi ones would work here since I’m on DSL and signal/speeds are terrible. Thanks for any insight. I don’t need super fancy. 

I have had the Ambient Weather WS-2000 since March and I’m very happy with it. It’s up on a mast on my roof. The data feeds via radio to a display that sits on my kitchen table. The display is connected to my wifi network and sends data to Wunderground, the Ambient Weather site, and iOS app. 

Setup was easy and zero reliability issues so far. 

Cheers.

On 10/15/2021 at 2:58 PM, CAPE said:

Definitely.

The dude that put in my parking pad was supposed to do it, but he seemed to lose interest, and I needed it done. Saved at least 2500 doing it myself, and ofc when you DIY, you get it exactly as you want it.

I'm not good with hardscaping, so I'd probably open up a bottomless sinkhole.

33 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

In late August and early September, given all of their injuries, I never thought the Ravens would be on the verge of 5-1.

They didn't even 'look' that impressive today, although it was a blowout by the score. Offense looked crisp but not explosive and left some plays out there. The defense played their best overall game by far, and I think SD was just flat for some reason. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

They didn't even 'look' that impressive today, although it was a blowout by the score. Offense looked crisp but not explosive and left some plays out there. The defense played their best overall game by far, and I think SD was just flat for some reason. 

They were flat because the D played so well. We must have watched different games. 

59 minutes ago, ravensrule said:

They were flat because the D played so well. We must have watched different games. 

Combo of both. I'm being objective. The Ravens D played their best game of the year, as I said, and they needed it. Other than shutting down the Broncos, who have no quarterback, they have not looked very Ravens like so far. Nice to see they can win when Lamar plays an average game. Featuring the ground game was a no brainer given SD is helpless against the run.

• mappy unpinned this topic