Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October Discobs 2021

George BM

46 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

0642 PM COASTAL FLOOD SOLOMONS ISLAND 38.32N 76.45W 10/29/2021 ANZ542 MD MESONET THE NOAA TIDE GAUGE AT SOLOMONS ISLAND INDICATED THE GREATEST TIDAL CREST IN ITS RECORDED HISTORY, REACHING 4.46 FEET THIS EVENING AT 6:42 PM EDT. THE PERIOD OF RECORD INCLUDES THE PREVIOUS HIGHEST CREST, WHICH WAS RECORDED DURING HURRICANE ISABEL ON SEPTEMBER 19, 2003.

I wonder, NOAA Tides and Currents indicates the height was based on high water mark and NWS report on isabel (think it was the SLOSH analysis) indicated Solomons Island guage failed, might be the previous record used by AHPS and LWX is pre-failure height and not the high water mark based height?

1 hour ago, gymengineer said:

Also, here's LWX's Local Storm Report about the record:

NWUS51 KLWX 292317
LSRLWX

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
716 PM EDT FRI OCT 29 2021

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0642 PM     COASTAL FLOOD    SOLOMONS ISLAND         38.32N  76.45W
10/29/2021                   ANZ542             MD   MESONET

THE NOAA TIDE GAUGE AT SOLOMONS ISLAND INDICATED THE
            GREATEST TIDAL CREST IN ITS RECORDED HISTORY, REACHING
            4.46 FEET THIS EVENING AT 6:42 PM EDT. THE PERIOD OF
            RECORD INCLUDES THE PREVIOUS HIGHEST CREST, WHICH WAS
            RECORDED DURING HURRICANE ISABEL ON SEPTEMBER 19, 2003.

&&

EVENT NUMBER LWX2106269

$$

LEE

Good to see you posting. Hope all is well.

I have a house located in Crocheron across the bay from Solomons. The Bishops Head tide gauge is less than 2 miles from the house. My co-owner travelled there yesterday from Towson, taking over 2.5 hours on flooded roads from Cambridge to drive 30 miles to Crocheron, and was present to experience the brutal full brunt of the tidal flooding last evening’s high tide when the BH gauge hit 5.13 feet, and unfortunately  tide came right on in. Our garage and den had 5 or 6 inches of water in it. Many homes were flooded multiple times in the past 48 hours. A real mess when seawater gets indoors. The road in front of the house was 2 feet underwater….

Helluva storm there yesterday, full on gale force. 
Western shore got hammered badly also  with the wind forcing water to the west. 
That’s life in a flood zone, sadly.

• Sad 6

28 minutes ago, baldereagle said:

I have a house located in Crocheron across the bay from Solomons. The Bishops Head tide gauge is less than 2 miles from the house. My co-owner travelled there yesterday from Towson, taking over 2.5 hours on flooded roads from Cambridge to drive 30 miles to Crocheron, and was present to experience the brutal full brunt of the tidal flooding last evening’s high tide when the BH gauge hit 5.13 feet, and unfortunately  tide came right on in. Our garage and den had 5 or 6 inches of water in it. Many homes were flooded multiple times in the past 48 hours. A real mess when seawater gets indoors. The road in front of the house was 2 feet underwater….

Helluva storm there yesterday, full on gale force. 
Western shore got hammered badly also  with the wind forcing water to the west. 
That’s life in a flood zone, sadly.

Man, that sucks. Sorry to hear. Areas of Dorchester county have become uninhabitable in the past 25 years because of the rising tides. NPR had a show a few years ago that was memorable.

https://www.pbs.org/video/high-tide-in-dorchester-7ywhuy/

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Scraff said:

Waste of QPF today! If only this was late January or February…probably would still be wet vs white. Lol. Thank god my beer job / life keeps me sane when our storms go sideways. :drunk:

If it were late January or February it would've been 35 and rain the entire time. We had SE winds the entire event.

• Like 2

The below is true here, it looks like the upcoming high tide won't be close and I'm even more dubious about currently forecasted levels tomorrow a.m. We had impressive yard and street flooding in my area. Houses seem to have been spared, that I can tell so far.

TIDES/COASTAL FLOODING... Latest model guidance is hesitant to drain water out of the tidal Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay as quickly as is being observed. Widespread minor to localized moderate flooding in vulnerable shoreline locations is still expected at least into tonight, though uncertainty increases in just how long, significant, or widespread flooding lasts beyond that.

So, just saw where NWS Blacksburg declared the 'growing season' done for my area....by date. This is a first that I can remember, usually we have a killing frost or freeze by now, I think my lowest temp so far this fall has been 36.5 back on the 19th? And I don't remember a frost advisory or freeze watch/warning ever issued, again another first....

CME is reaching the planet now.  Hopefully we clear up tonight and can see something with our eyes!

Last night we had an anomaly (unrelated to the CME) and peaked around 55GW atmospheric power.  Photographic auroras were captured here in northern MD!  Kind of boring compared to what they saw in Iceland but I'll take it! ;)

VwAcZuU.jpg

• Like 6

• mappy unpinned this topic

My numbers for October 2021

Total rainfall was 2.85 inches vs a normal of 2.70 inches, a +0.15 above average. The wettest day was the 29th with 0.81 inches falling. There were 14 days with measurable, one day with a "T" and 16 dry days. The averaged high for the month was 69.8 degrees vs a normal of 66.9 degrees, a +2.9 degrees above average. The warmest day was on the 16th with a 80.7 degree reading. The averaged low was 49.6 degrees vs a normal of 41.5 degrees, a +8.1 degrees above normal and the 2nd warmest on record, with only 1984's 50.5 degrees being warmer. The 'coolest' temp was 36.5 degrees on both the 18th and 19th. The overall averaged temp was 59.7 degrees vs a normal of 54.2 degrees, a +5.5 degrees above average. There was no snowfall for the month. The highest wind recorded was 33 mph on the 27th. There were no new records recorded for the month.

• Like 2