Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
October Discobs 2021

George BM

5 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Breezy this morning already.  Makes me wonder if the HRRR/NAM are onto something with mixing down some good gusts when the heavier precip gets here.  

gusts have picked up considerably up here. 

2 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

The other thing about it is that our trees are more conditioned to stronger W/NW winds.  Makes me wonder if we could get some damage with the E/SE winds if the gusts do kick up into the 40s.

we just lost power briefly. yay

Drive to work observation: One lane of Rutland Rd blocked by downed tree. Tidal South River level up, but not as high as it's been in the recent past. Power out at the traffic light. Power out at work. (Came back on, else I wouldn't be typing this)

Wind has subsided noticeably past hour. Rain minimal, for now.

The big question is whether the line of forced convection that races northeast through the area this afternoon can mix down the stronger winds just above the surface.   It may be too stable to do that (especially on the north side of town), and the best low-level winds will be exiting to the northeast as the line arrives, but if we can overlap just a little bit of instability with the stronger wind fields, it could get really ugly.

hrrr_ref_frzn_neus_fh7-7.thumb.gif.78522552fc99cd1ad1580684719dccae.gif

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

The other thing about it is that our trees are more conditioned to stronger W/NW winds.  Makes me wonder if we could get some damage with the E/SE winds if the gusts do kick up into the 40s.

Its something not often thought about.  You'd think trees would be fine in any wind but some grow knowing winds come mostly from one direction.

PEPCO already up to 5K outages. Been a fairly steady rise this morning. East wind is the enemy of trees around here. 

Was just wondering that. In my new home about a year now. It’s interesting to hear the “swoosh” of the wind coming from the east. Very noticeable. Surrounded by 100 year old oaks and they’re dancing differently this morning. Some good gusts in the past 30 mins.

• mappy unpinned this topic