Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October Discobs 2021

George BM

4 hours ago, Jeff B said:

MG-
My ending guess was definitely high. 3.54” total per my Tempest weather station (no rain bucket).

I’m about 2 miles WSW of Oregon Ridge Park. Once the rain started, it poured here the entire time with a severe t-storm cell directly overhead for about 15-20 minutes. Buckets.

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

I have a Tempest wx station as well. The haptic rain sensor can have a slight overbias during prolonged heavy rain, and a slight underbias during prolonged drizzle or light rain.

Interesting.

Jeff B...by the way, I don't want you to think I was calling you out or anything. I just found it interesting that your totals were significantly higher than those reported on here and in CoCoRaHs. I wonder if the issue that EJ mentioned affected your measurements.

Interesting.
Jeff B...by the way, I don't want you to think I was calling you out or anything. I just found it interesting that your totals were significantly higher than those reported on here and in CoCoRaHs. I wonder if the issue that EJ mentioned affected your measurements.

Didn’t take it that way at all, MG. All good.

EJ, thanks for the heads-up on the Tempest. I didn’t know that about our station. Any suggestions on how to adjust rain totals given its bias during those type of events?

2 hours ago, Jeff B said:

EJ, thanks for the heads-up on the Tempest. I didn’t know that about our station. Any suggestions on how to adjust rain totals given its bias during those type of events?

Contact them, open a ticket with the subject rain gauge accuracy.  They will ask for some information so you can provide readings from a colocated gauge.  I did this over the summer during numerous events and the accuracy has improved from laughable to believable. ;)

20 hours ago, Jeff B said:

Honestly, I don't know. In a situation like that, I incorporate CoCoRahs and doppler estimates. If my rain totals are too high or low, I toss them and use the consensus around me. Keep in mind, this only happens maybe 1 event in 10.

6 hours ago, H2O said:

surprised we don't have more power outages around the area

Friday may be more of a problem.  Similar wind conditions but out of the E or NE and heavy rain with a lot of trees in decent canopy.

It all boils down to how effective your utility plan has been in maintaining trees.  There's a 10' min limit around primary distribution lines for a reason!  A lot of places here maintenance has been quite lackluster and such during heavy rains with just a moderate breeze we have flickering lights and on occasion bright flashes and grunt/boom/humming from said wires.

23 hours ago, toolsheds said:

Last night in Eldersburg My daughter thought the same.  It was just very light drizzle/mist.  The qind gusts made it look  which looked like flurries by the way it was falling. 

yup.. it was very misty like. We were walking around Centennial Lake at night time and had the flashlights on our heads.  The flash lights illuminated it.  

I have seen flurries at 48 degrees before so I thought maybe it was possible.  Given no one else reported it, it was probably just the that ^^

• mappy unpinned this topic