Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October Discobs 2021

George BM

4 hours ago, dailylurker said:

This weather is so boring. I'd be happy with a rainy day at this point. Cloudy, warm and humid for weeks straight in October is kind of a bummer. 

I try to think of it as extended summer and as we get deeper into Fall a switch will flip (hopefully) and we won't look back with any random warmth (hopefully).

• Like 1

Also if it's not going to be stormy might as well have full sun!  I should be making 70-80kWh daily this time of the year  if that were the case.  Clouds, haze and smoke have cut down production considerably the past 12 months.

I was considering a 10kW wind turbine and glad I didn't as we aren't getting much wind either.  I wish the stream was closer, that could do 3-4kW easy.

• Like 1

After another endless summer week upcoming, it still looks like we get a significant front and a cooler airmass for next Sunday and into the following week. 

GFS tends to be on the cooler end in the long range so temps might be closer to 70. Dew points at this time are in the mid to upper 30s- that's the big difference compared to this garbage air mass we have had seemingly forever.

gfs_T2m_neus_28.png

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, GramaxRefugee said:

I see there are a lot of October rain-complainers around. But, I was noticing last night, when I emptied the 0.02" total from the gauge, that I've had almost no rain this month. Not worried though. (yet)

Low of 63f this morning, and overcast.

I am actually good with the dryness. Allows me to control the watering of the areas I reseeded, which has all filled in nicely over the last 10+ days with the continued warm weather.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

Imagine being stuck in a pattern like this in early Jan...

Cloudy with snow showers on and off for over a week.  Temps in the lower 20s.

I would love that so much, would be even better if it was in December during Christmas time. I am so desprite to just have some snow with on the ground and in the air at some point on Christmas, Christmas eve and the day before Christmas eve. 

Probability of a white Christmas for our area is like Congress ending a fiscal year with a balanced budget. ;)

The last blockbuster (Jan 23, 2016) would have been awesome if Jan 22 was Christmas eve.  Waking up Christmas Day truly snowed in would have been pure bliss.  Digging out the day after not so much but if you have the equipment or a person doing that for you not so bad.

Even better was the B2B storms in 2010.  Storm 1 hits on Christmas Day and storm 2 hits on New Year Day!  That's hard to do in the lake effect snow belt region!

Bring it on!

The past few WEEKS now I've been seeing bioluminscent glowing firefly larvae in the grass when I go for a walk around midnight.  A few warm nights and (hopefully) we'll see some fireflies.  If that happens it will be the latest I've seen them.  The current record is October 07, 2018.

Although fall of 2009 was the absolute best.  Mid September when getting wrapped up with long jobs and losing daylight they were around in numbers like mid June.  Incredible.  And in October we had larvae everywhere even bright enough to be seen when riding ATVs in the trails.

As long as we don't torch on Thanksgiving.  Those are the worst.  I like the crisp days where we light a fire after everyone's crashed from pigging out on turkey.  Stoke the box real good and open the vents so she roars like a locomotive rattling the pipe and before you know it, temp is 95F on the couch upstairs.  That's if it's in the 30s outside.  Warmer days forget it.

• mappy unpinned this topic