• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

looks like it is snowing hard at Saddleback. They have a nice network of cams and weather stations on the mountain. Headed to SLoaf to ski tomorrow. Looks like Saturday will be ok weather-wise. Don't believe they had a lift running yesterday due to wind and icing. 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Man, another slug of rain last night and stuff falling… temps of 33F at 3600ft and 34F at 1500ft.  Just brutal, ha.  Grooming reporting some wet snow mixing at times up top but primarily rain.

What a winter.

Wish we could skip right to 75 and sunny now, but I know we have another 2 months of this stuff. It honestly feels like we have been in April mode since mid-Feb. 

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Wish we could skip right to 75 and sunny now, but I know we have another 2 months of this stuff. It honestly feels like we have been in April mode since mid-Feb. 

Its a slow death.  It seems timing has been everything this winter.  You have to catch the right days because you dont get too many in a row.  The upslope potential next week looks to be moderating, but I'm hoping to catch a few of the last decent days mid week before the rain again.  Seems like we are on the wrong side of the line every time the last month.

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Man, another slug of rain last night and stuff falling… temps of 33F at 3600ft and 34F at 1500ft.  Just brutal, ha.  Grooming reporting some wet snow mixing at times up top but primarily rain.

What a winter.

Great storm, 0.67" total with 0.2" SN to start, most precip at 32-34°.   Again  :(

• Haha 1

ebab58f95f4ee7cba029d33f19d24bac.jpg
Stolen from FB. This is in the gaspe as of yesterday. Far northern Maine into Quebec are just absolutely buried right now. Reminds me of 15-16 when I went up to Ft Kent last week of March. No snow at all through Ashland then once we got over the hill on 11 north of wallagrass it was just feet and feet of snow and got another 6” that first day there. Skied at lonesome pines which was fun for the novelty of it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NW_of_GYX said:

Stolen from FB. This is in the gaspe as of yesterday. Far northern Maine into Quebec are just absolutely buried right now. Reminds me of 15-16 when I went up to Ft Kent last week of March. No snow at all through Ashland then once we got over the hill on 11 north of wallagrass it was just feet and feet of snow and got another 6” that first day there. Skied at lonesome pines which was fun for the novelty of it.

Caribou this morning 

FB_IMG_1648236013610.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NW_of_GYX said:

I bet its deep at the Chic Chocs

• Like 1

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It’s white again at 1500ft… but different vibe this time of year with birds chirping, ha.

Accumulating snow line looked to be 1200ft.  Had a little slush on the windshield at 750ft but that was it.

Down here at 500’ we had a couple rounds of accumulating sleet with the 3/24 system (where the Winter Weather Advisory was in effect), but that’s all I’ve seen here for frozen accumulation since the weekend.  We actually had a lot of sleet fall with that system, but not much accumulation down at this elevation since the temperatures were marginal.  It has been snowing at elevation, as I’ve seen on the Bolton Valley main base webcam, but down at 2,000’ it’s sort of been on and off with accumulation/melting back.

I popped into the thread though because I saw potential snow in our forecast even down here in the valley, and there were some substantial numbers when I checked on the local elevations.  I’ve been targeting Sunday as a possible day for turns if the snow starts to build up, so we’ll see.  The BTV NWS is mentioning snow in their discussion though, and the numbers they mention seem consistent with the point forecasts I’m seeing:

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

1002 AM EDT Sat Mar 26 2022

NEAR TERM /THROUGH SUNDAY/...As the front moves into the region early Sunday winds shift around to the northwest and precipitation becomes more terrain focused with the low level flow initially blocked backing snow into the Champlain Valley, but by the afternoon the flow becomes unblocked and we`ll see snow mainly along the mountain crests and on the lee side. A slushy 1-3" is possible at lower elevations by the days end, with significantly higher amounts up to 6-8" across the higher peaks.

31 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It's done very little of anything here the last two days. Just cloudy and occasionally spitting precip of various sorts for a little bit.

Same here. I’m fine with that. Why prolong the crappiness with useless crap that does nothing useful for me. 

Dumping this morning.

1500ft is winter again.  Snow accums start around 900ft.

Plows out above Harlow Hill.

52C8FD32-DF1C-49D0-96CD-C82990A6D8B6.thumb.jpeg.7082527d061c6a8d679823fc15d36285.jpeg

Some good pulses of moderate to heavy snow when 30-35dbz ripples across.

468029769_March27.gif.a8ad15b360370a0375811ed8ae7ddc51.gif

The precipitation just switched over to snow down here at 500’, or at least this is the first time I’ve seen snow down this low with this current event.  The temperature hasn’t changed much here, so I’m assume some threshold was hit higher up in the atmosphere.

I saw that Bolton reported 1-3” in their early morning report, with obvious elevation dependence.  It is snowing nicely on their webcams though, so we’ll see how things proceed today.  It’s nice to see that flow into the mountains, it looks somewhere between W and WNW.

1 hour ago, J.Spin said:

The precipitation just switched over to snow down here at 500’, or at least this is the first time I’ve seen snow down this low with this current event.  The temperature hasn’t changed much here, so I’m assume some threshold was hit higher up in the atmosphere.

I saw that Bolton reported 1-3” in their early morning report, with obvious elevation dependence.  It is snowing nicely on their webcams though, so we’ll see how things proceed today.  It’s nice to see that flow into the mountains, it looks somewhere between W and WNW.

It's a full on powder day above mid-mountain.  We found 6" at 3,000ft High Road Plot and piling up.  It skis like it too... dense with some body.

277465055_10104759501058590_241446718798

• Like 1