Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Next to that my heart procedure and aftermath was a walk in the park on a warm spring day.  Are you getting the right pain therapy?  Seems there would be ways to mediate even that level of post-surgery pain without diving deeply into opioids.  Of course, I got my medical degree from UMaine forestry school.  ;)

Just had surgery yesterday. So I'm in for some days of pain. I am allergic to acetaminophen. And most narcotics are cut with acetaminophen. I have a straight oxy prescription.  But the after effects of anesthesia left me with a raging headache  and nausea. And Oxy also creates nausea, so I have been doing 800mg advil. I now have an anti-nausea prescription. Going to try an oxy, see how it goes...

Looking forward to tonight's event. I would imagine we should be good for at least 3-4" at my elevation. I'll be heading up to Pinkham first thing in the morning for a Sherbie lap before work; hopefully this snow will have enough density to cover up some of the water ice that is apparently there right now.

I won't be around for the weekend event, so I'm sure it'll end up being the largest of the season here.

26 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Just had surgery yesterday. So I'm in for some days of pain. I am allergic to acetaminophen. And most narcotics are cut with acetaminophen. I have a straight oxy prescription.  But the after effects of anesthesia left me with a raging headache  and nausea. And Oxy also creates nausea, so I have been doing 800mg advil. I now have an anti-nausea prescription. Going to try an oxy, see how it goes...

Eat lots of fiber with Oxy. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jculligan said:

Looking forward to tonight's event. I would imagine we should be good for at least 3-4" at my elevation. I'll be heading up to Pinkham first thing in the morning for a Sherbie lap before work; hopefully this snow will have enough density to cover up some of the water ice that is apparently there right now.

I won't be around for the weekend event, so I'm sure it'll end up being the largest of the season here.

That's a helluva Euro run for Western Maine ski resorts

sn10_acc.us_ne (1).png

Between all the skiing and everything else over the weekend, I was just too busy to look into the totals for Winter Storm Quinlan at the resorts, but I’ve tried to piece those together for a summary below.  The numbers quickly disappear from availability on the web, so some of these are best guesses, but it should give an idea of the trends from north to south for storm totals for the Vermont ski areas:

Jay Peak: 24”

Burke: 12”

Smuggler’s Notch: 19”

Stowe: 17”

Bolton Valley: 18”

Mad River Glen: 12”

Sugarbush: 12”

Pico: 18”

Killington: 18”

Okemo: 12”

Bromley: 8”

Magic Mountain: 8”

Stratton: 8”

Mount Snow: 10”

I’ll put together some weekend snow updates and photos from Bolton as soon as I get a chance.

• Thanks 1

32/30 with about 0.4" down so far. Should begin to accumulate more efficiently at this point, but I think we're going to fall short of what was predicted by a fair margin since it took a while to cool the boundary layer. Either way, nice snowy vibe out there tonight.

16 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

Trying each option and adjusting as necessary makes sense.  When I had spinal fusion at C-4 (kind of behind the larynx) 11 years ago, I was sent home with an Oxycodone Rx.  Took one at bedtime that first evening, woke up about 2 AM having to swallow 7-8 times a minute with each swallow rubbing the incision site back and forth across the cervical collar I had to wear.  About an hour of repeated exquisite pain.  Went back to my old Ibuprofin standby.  Was very fortunate to have only that one incident and the surgery was totally sucessful.  (Fixed spinal stenosis that had reduced my coordination down to where I could barely tie my shoes or walk a straight line.)

In other news, 1.2" overnight from 0.10" LE.  trees are dried off now but were gorgeous earlier.  Now 5 snow events this month (good) for less than 10" total (back to the midget events of Dec-Jan).

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Full on glue season on the slopes. My least favorite conditions. 

It is.  I put a fresh wax on but man you need some steep pitches to get going.  Intermediate and lower cruisers are brutal.  The steep manmade trails are a lot of fun though.  It honestly needs to rain on it a bit as powder warning up just turns to glue.

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It is.  I put a fresh wax on but man you need some steep pitches to get going.  Intermediate and lower cruisers are brutal.  The steep manmade trails are a lot of fun though.  It honestly needs to rain on it a bit as powder warning up just turns to glue.

Hoping Saturday rain changing to Sunday snow might help, but the trend seems to be warmer and warmer with less backside.

36 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Hoping Saturday rain changing to Sunday snow might help, but the trend seems to be warmer and warmer with less backside.

Now this may be sacrilegious but if it's going to be warm I'd prefer for skiing reasons that it doesn't snow on the backside?  Getting 2-4" snows that then warm up and turn sticky doesn't do a whole lot.  I'd rather it rain, freeze, then warm up with sun... providing corn snow and smoother wet granular rather than wet powder/crystals.  The skiing can be so good when granular (snow that's been through melt/freeze metamorphosis) pack warms up and becomes wet/glistening on the surface.  This time of year you need a good 6"+ to make it worth the trade off IMO.  Constant backend light snows of 1-4" in the spring can sometimes be worse for surface conditions.