Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

17 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, just like that deep winter returns.

B9B63766-5991-4F77-B4D4-ACB253991C77.thumb.jpeg.7f584768232b9e8d9cc72fbc61da9e98.jpeg

The timing of this one was great… snow starting in the morning, cranking all day, leading to a snowy evening vibe.  There’s something about evening snow after a whole day event.  Caps off a great day.

Moisture is decreasing and upslope is rotting out while drifting downwind.  Should end soon.

B6FB4A42-A51F-432B-A0DA-DDF18D0F0384.jpeg.e349525042a4bd58a46ff2d8ff33d823.jpeg

• Like 1

Seems like a classic "north of the Notches" storm in the White Mountains. I'm down in Salem NH this weekend, but Black Mountain is only reporting 3" of new snow this morning and their measurements are almost always spot on with mine at the cabin. I was helping my girlfriend move into a new house yesterday so I wasn't really watching what was happening up there; not sure if it was a temperature bust or a dry-slotting issue, but that's quite a difference from what Alex and Phin are reporting.

Not really "northern New England" but we had less than an inch here in Salem. Enjoy the powder up north today!! I'll be returning to Jackson tomorrow.

Event totals: 11.3” Snow/0.89” L.E.

Based on the radar, it looks like this is the end of this system, so the above totals should be the final numbers for snow and liquid at our site.  I’ve got the data from the past two rounds of analysis below, and indeed the snow density went way down for the final part of the storm.

Details from the 12:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.10 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 14.0

Snow Density: 7.1% H2O

Temperature: 17.8 F

Sky: Light Snow (3-12 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 15.0 inches

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.05 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 26.0

Snow Density: 3.8% H2O

Temperature: 15.6 F

Sky: Mostly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 15.0 inches

2 hours ago, jculligan said:

Seems like a classic "north of the Notches" storm in the White Mountains. I'm down in Salem NH this weekend, but Black Mountain is only reporting 3" of new snow this morning and their measurements are almost always spot on with mine at the cabin. I was helping my girlfriend move into a new house yesterday so I wasn't really watching what was happening up there; not sure if it was a temperature bust or a dry-slotting issue, but that's quite a difference from what Alex and Phin are reporting.

Not really "northern New England" but we had less than an inch here in Salem. Enjoy the powder up north today!! I'll be returning to Jackson tomorrow.

The synoptic piece was kind of meh over here. I had about 6” as that wound down. Then I added a foot of upslope powder on top which of course many areas don’t get. I could see 3-5” at Black Mountain and Cranmore for sure. Wildcat is reporting 9. 

That strong NW flow is a brutal wind direction for North Conway and south of the notch. Usually they’ll do well in the synoptic stuff but that’s because synoptic precip also has a east or north wind but not in this storm. 

So it would make sense that Alex and Phin get crushed while south of the notch struggles. 

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That strong NW flow is a brutal wind direction for North Conway and south of the notch. Usually they’ll do well in the synoptic stuff but that’s because synoptic precip also has a east or north wind but not in this storm. 

So it would make sense that Alex and Phin get crushed while south of the notch struggles. 

Yeah I'm at Canmore, only a couple of inches. It's a world apart from home right now. Coooold though