Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

27 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It is pounding snow, this is nice.  Looks like a mid-level pivot point.

546725629_WUNIDS_map(1)b.gif.cb0aa7b26d02b95f5cc604df111d5d85.gif

It seems like it’s been running at about 1”/hr here at our site, nothing too outrageous, but nice and steady.  I’m planning to run an analysis at 12:00 P.M. and we’ll get some info on the morning’s snow density down here in the valley.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Seems to be precipitating fairly efficiently but no more than 8-10:1 ratios I'd imagine?  Pretty dense at the mountain, which is what is needed.

There’s no doubt that the snow was denser this morning, but it’s definitely lightening up now as the temperatures are dropping down here in the valley.  The morning time block for snowfall produced an average ratio that was almost 12:1, so it must be above that now.  We’ll see if the ratios keep going up this afternoon, which would obviously enhance the accumulation numbers relative to denser snow, but of course it’s the liquid that matters.  There’s almost a half inch of liquid down so far, which is a great start.  The flakes weren’t especially large at observations time (1-5 mm), but with the rate at which the boards were getting re-covered as I cleared them, you could tell there is a lot of liquid coming out of the sky.

A half inch of liquid equivalent down is great though; that pretty much already calls for an afternoon trip to the hill to check it out.  Bolton actually has Blauvelt’s Banks taking place today, so that should be fun to watch.  I’ve actually been watching the riders on the Bolton Base Area Webcam, which has been fun.  I can see that the Vista Quad is already down on wind hold, but apparently all the other lifts are still running.

12MAR22A.thumb.jpg.543ae0635fe059e17aa134200d3f1f9c.jpg

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Looks like a good event up there finally.

It’s not the widespread 12-20” that it looked in the mid-range but it’s snowy and winter again.  I feel like 6-12” amounts will be most common when all is said and done.  That’s been a popular landing spot for storms this season.

22 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It’s not the widespread 12-20” that it looked in the mid-range but it’s snowy and winter again.  I feel like 6-12” amounts will be most common when all is said and done.  That’s been a popular landing spot for storms this season.

Nothing wrong with that!