Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

55 minutes ago, jculligan said:

Skied the steep trees in the east basin of Big Jay yesterday. Wow. Even in a lean year like this, that zone still delivered! Absolutely the best powder I have skied all winter. I skinned up from 242 rather than approaching from the Jay Peak tram. If you're looking for a real "adventure" involving steep trail-breaking through thick vegetation, I would suggest repeating my route...but it was truly a battle to the summit lol. Next time I think I'll take the more traditional approach by traversing over from the tram. But hey, a little adventure ski feeds the soul every now and then!!

Looking forward to see what today's system can dish out. I'm feeling good for at least a couple inches in my location.

Holy shit! That's such a committing skin/boot-pack. Much kudos. Attempted that last year the day after going over from the ridge. At 2800 feet the skins came off and we started booting. 30 minutes and 200-300 vert later of pushing thru waist deep snow we gave up haha. Such a good zone but I don't think I'll ever again attempt to summit if coming from 242, unless the pack is very consolidated. I've found Little Jay to be a better bang for your buck if coming from the road. Lots of cool lines and aspects off of that peak. 

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.01” L.E.

Snowfall has been generally light and intermittent here at our site this morning, although the intensity has picked up a bit in this midday period.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3% H2O

Temperature: 23.8 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-20 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 13.5 inches

1 hour ago, MRVexpat said:

Holy shit! That's such a committing skin/boot-pack. Much kudos. Attempted that last year the day after going over from the ridge. At 2800 feet the skins came off and we started booting. 30 minutes and 200-300 vert later of pushing thru waist deep snow we gave up haha. Such a good zone but I don't think I'll ever again attempt to summit if coming from 242, unless the pack is very consolidated. I've found Little Jay to be a better bang for your buck if coming from the road. Lots of cool lines and aspects off of that peak. 

At one point we did try taking the skis off and booting up to the ridge, but I couldn't get any purchase and was just wallowing in snow. It wasn't happening. So we threw the skins back on and tried a different line, and somehow through the sheer force of will we made it. I've broken trail in deep snow many times, but never in such steep and thick terrain. That was definitely a one and done!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jculligan said:

Skied the steep trees in the east basin of Big Jay yesterday. Wow. Even in a lean year like this, that zone still delivered! Absolutely the best powder I have skied all winter. I skinned up from 242 rather than approaching from the Jay Peak tram. If you're looking for a real "adventure" involving steep trail-breaking through thick vegetation, I would suggest repeating my route...but it was truly a battle to the summit lol. Next time I think I'll take the more traditional approach by traversing over from the tram. But hey, a little adventure ski feeds the soul every now and then!!

Looking forward to see what today's system can dish out. I'm feeling good for at least a couple inches in my location.

Explorer Roald Amundsen once said, "An adventure is just another name for a poorly planned expedition." :D

• Haha 1

On 2/27/2022 at 11:15 AM, powderfreak said:

Some great powder skiing in the lower angle woods that are trustworthy.

This is where one’s knowledge of their local hill really comes into play for putting together a fun session vs. one where you’re constantly dodging rocks and logs, wrecking your skis, or even worse, potentially wrecking yourself.  Although we did spend most of our time on piste over the weekend because there was plenty of available powder there, our travels also brought us into some off piste lines that we trusted, and we found great turns in those areas.  I added a few additional shots from the weekend below, with some of the tree skiing in the mix as well.

From conversations with friends and colleagues who have skied in different spots in the Northern Greens over the past few days, it sounds like with respect to off piste turns, the farther north you go, the better the base gets.  These next couple of bread and butter systems should only help in that regard, and then we’ll have to see if that mixed system that’s farther out there in time can further substantiate the base.

26FEB22M.thumb.jpg.566f3e3087ad21d0fe9626b9b1b1d481.jpg

26FEB22I.thumb.jpg.0eca325f24a825b1e96b347264ae7c28.jpg

26FEB22J.thumb.jpg.dd1059fc52f71e4232d1866fb426dbec.jpg

26FEB22C.thumb.jpg.f1cc8109d0d516fd447ce30daf31b334.jpg

26FEB22K.thumb.jpg.ee0ae470cdc08ef32c7b26aa5ae03696.jpg

26FEB22L.jpg.0a7e18c7fd3f3e7ba16c493565433bd9.jpg

• Like 6

Most of the lift has been Downstream of the Spine… it was actually pretty snowy in Morrisville running errands.  Just started filling back in at Stowe.  About an inch so far.  Mountain High Road plot in with 2” at 4pm.

I bet Jay Peak got hit hard today.  Definitely the jackpot on SW standing wave flow.  This up and down wave over Dacks and down CPV then up again in Greens likes to put snow in the NEK.

3F15A0E6-9956-432C-AEE4-407E0638BC50.gif.f1ef3f3de1733178e537e941fa7dc934.gif

48 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Awesome shots J.

Thanks!  Being bluebird, Saturday obviously had some good light for action as you know.  Now that we’re in late February, even at F/4 and 100 ISO I was able to push to 1/2500 sec.  We’re certainly starting to get those spring-like levels of ambient light now, and it’s very noticeable on clear days with fresh snow.  With so much light on Saturday, combined with some of that 2-4% H2O powder, it made for some fantastic extremes between the skiers, the snow surface, the cold smoke, and the shadows, so I processed a number of the images in B&W to focus on the strong visual contrasts that the conditions gave us.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, timp said:

Just made the trip home and it’s snowing nicely here with 3” of fluff so far. If that’s what I have Jay has got to be getting smoked. Really didn’t start snowing until between Jeffersonville and Johnson. 

It's definitely been Spine eastward today... it's almost like a bit blocked on the east side with subtle S/SSE flow at the surface and strong westerly winds aloft blowing it downstream.

Turn that surface wind barb around 180 degrees to NNW and the snow band would shift to the other side of the mountains most likely.  All the minute details that put snow in different places around here.

1073558390_March1Snowc.gif.03d52af86ea92f1cd7d39206e4cde47f.gif

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It is snowing hard up and down RT 108/Mountain Road.  2-3" of fluff now.  Road conditions went bad real fast with the 30-35dbz ripples.

775224833_March1Snowb.gif.791048dd755b031acd8b18acd06cf465.gif

I can attest. I was up in the Notch a good part of the afternoon. Left around 4:00 and things were getting a little sketchy. Seemed like 1.5”-2” by that time. 

3604A9EF-7D1A-4395-A074-C630372EA5CC.jpeg

About 1" down here in Jackson. Snow growth was better just before sunset, but now we're getting small flakes. It always looked to me like 7-10pm would be the window for the best snow here, so we'll see if it picks up again.

We have officially surpassed last year's paltry seasonal total.

51 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I can attest. I was up in the Notch a good part of the afternoon. Left around 4:00 and things were getting a little sketchy. Seemed like 1.5”-2” by that time. 

3604A9EF-7D1A-4395-A074-C630372EA5CC.jpeg

That fits with our 2” reading at 4:10pm at the High Road plot.

BF7DCD24-53C9-4467-B3E7-6844B7BCA37B.jpeg.7616233ada3a26194dd9081db2aec5e8.jpeg

I saw there’s a big snowmobile convention or gathering happening in the Notch this week… you involved in that?

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That fits with our 2” reading at 4:10pm at the High Road plot.

BF7DCD24-53C9-4467-B3E7-6844B7BCA37B.jpeg.7616233ada3a26194dd9081db2aec5e8.jpeg

I saw there’s a big snowmobile convention or gathering happening in the Notch this week… you involved in that?

A Canadian company called Taiga is doing a press event for their EV snowmobile. They’re bringing in press from around the country for test rides. Originally they were going to do tomorrow through Saturday on the Notch but now it’s only going to be tomorrow up there because they were a little concerned about backcountry skiers, snowshoers etc. the rest of the days are now going to be down in the Cotton Brook area. It’s all going to be capped off with the governor giving a press conference in support of recreational EVs. This is the first time time Taiga has brought the sleds to the US. They were originally going to do this out in Tahoe but VAST talked them into staying much closer to their home base of Montreal. It also helped that their head marketing guy used to spend time in Stowe with his grandfather. I was there today to help them scout the locations. It was hella cool riding through the Notch. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

LOL yeah that's some real fluffer stuff right there.

The tire tracks are packed down and surrounded by cotton.

The sky is just fluffing.  They don't even fall that fast.  It's classic meso-scale snow.

Stat padder for sure, but just makes for a nice, snowy evening in a ski town.  Went out to the Backyard for a beer and the vibe is happy for the snow.  Trying not to think of the weekend cutter, ha.

• Like 1