Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

Just now, powderfreak said:

Got the rare M1/4 even at the MVL ASOS down in the valley.  Best one I've seen in a long time.  No hyperbole there.

KMVL 272049Z AUTO 32011G28KT M1/4SM +SN FZFG BKN013 BKN033 OVC047 M04/M05 A2968 RMK AO2 PK WND 28028/2041

You had one I think one time that had bolts all around the resort several years ago. Or maybe I’m thinking of something else? But this one looked intense. That’s real shit. 

Just now, powderfreak said:

Yup, the random 3-7" events from very little model output.  The small systems you ignore... and this year I ignored it because they've rarely done anything.  This one worked and snowed all day.

Seems like these events with WAA, but then the Arctic fronts always do well there. But yeah, tenor of this year was like meh, ignore LOL. 

Squall just blew through here and put down a very quick 0.5" but it was very short-lived. Still snowing a bit and blowing around a lot, but I think we'll fall short of an inch here. Still a fun few minutes at its height.

I think we have a long way to go in terms of educating the public on snow squalls. I was in the grocery store when everyone's phone blew up with the snow squall warning, and people seemed confused more than anything else. I heard someone say, "What does that mean?" Where I grew up in Buffalo, snow squalls were a part of everyone's daily vocabulary in the winter season...but certainly not here.

28 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

You had one I think one time that had bolts all around the resort several years ago. Or maybe I’m thinking of something else? But this one looked intense. That’s real shit. 

Yeah I remember that, I thought that was a rain squall?  Who knows, we have had thunder with these in the past.  The duration of this was nuts to me, it wasn’t 5-7 minutes.  It was like a half hour of whiteout.  It was almost like a downburst with it… just precip and wind coming out of the bowels of the atmosphere lol.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I remember that, I thought that was a rain squall?  Who knows, we have had thunder with these in the past.  The duration of this was nuts to me, it wasn’t 5-7 minutes.  It was like a half hour of whiteout.  It was almost like a downburst with it… just precip and wind coming out of the bowels of the atmosphere lol.

That’s awesome. Glad you guys got it good.

• Like 1

Vicious Squalls.   The deer were grazing as the squall hit.  As you know my cam faces south.  I made a quick video clip.  Just watch the first part. The deer at first just looked around and then bolted for the woods.

https://video.nest.com/clip/a15fa36d102c4e7083045981300da51b.mp4

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

I think it totally missed here. Nothing but light stuff and a bit of wind.

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Nevermind, it just arrived. 

Yeah, we were in Littleton and it was snowing moderately when we left.  By the time we got to Woodsville, it had pretty much stopped. I figured it had fizzled or had been overhyped. We stopped at Walmart for a few things and when we came out, it was pretty much white out conditions and stayed that like that all the way home on 302. Took us almost and hour from Woodsville, usually a 30-35 minute drive. Maybe 2” of snow at home. 

7 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Vicious Squalls.   The deer were grazing as the squall hit.  As you know my cam faces south.  I made a quick video clip.  Just watch the first part. The deer at first just looked around and then bolted for the woods.

https://video.nest.com/clip/a15fa36d102c4e7083045981300da51b.mp4

Wow, didn't realize how good the night time video was with a nest cam. Nice.

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Chickens whacked left and right

1571FB51-ADB2-4274-879F-0DDE8CC034F5.gif

Might be a little jelly that the density of yellow pixels down your way was higher.

3 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Really? Seems like it lasted my entire drive home from Woodsville. 

Sorry for the confusing post, I meant it lasted more than 5 minutes and wasn't something brief. It was atleast a half hour here for the white out conditions, probably snowed about an hour total. I measured 2 inches new snow.