Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/Trace L.E.

I didn’t think snow was going to start up around here until a bit later in the day, but there was already some accumulations on the boards this morning with light snow in the air.  The BTV NWS discussion indicates this event is coming together around here through a collection of factors, such as low pressure moving through Quebec, the presence of LES moisture, snow squalls from the passage of the cold front, and a trailing shortwave.  The snowfall has not been consistent the whole time this morning – there are points where it’s snowing lightly, but blue sky is also visible.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 25.7 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-12 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 15.0 inches

Looks like another great setup for squalls later today. I managed 2.5" from the last WINDEX event, so hoping I'll get lucky again this time around. The timeframe in the White Mountains looks to be from 3pm-7pm (northwest to southeast). If the meso models are correct, the squalls should sweep through central and southern parts of the state as well.

Last year at this time I was at 67.6" compared to this year's 67.4" total. Incredible that we are pretty much lock step with last season. Hopefully more snow this March compared to the 1.1" total I mustered last year.

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/Trace L.E.

It’s been snowing here at the house all morning, with a very Northern Greens “snow globe” feel that we haven’t had a ton of in the past few weeks.  The snow is incredibly fluffy as PF noted, and accumulation here has only been 0.2” with less than 0.01” of liquid.  There appears to be plenty of moisture upstream, so we’ll see what the next collection period brings.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

Temperature: 35.7 F

Snow at the stake: 14.0 inches

VTsnowglobe.jpg.2cba534ac4a6b2cddc1a6c6a0efcbe6e.jpg

41 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/Trace L.E.

It’s been snowing here at the house all morning, with a very Northern Greens “snow globe” feel that we haven’t had a ton of in the past few weeks.  The snow is incredibly fluffy as PF noted, and accumulation here has only been 0.2” with less than 0.01” of liquid.  There appears to be plenty of moisture upstream, so we’ll see what the next collection period brings.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

Temperature: 35.7 F

Snow at the stake: 14.0 inches

That's surprising, I figured you'd have a couple inches or maybe it's been just north by a few miles.  I thought I saw a Lake Effect connection from Ontario earlier today going from SLK to Mansfield, so that might have helped.

It got down to -SN or even flurries for a moment but it's roared back snowing with a purpose again.

WUNIDS_map.gif.72f3304898a24d939ccd5d0ed58f8ad0.gif

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That's surprising, I figured you'd have a couple inches or maybe it's been just north by a few miles.  I thought I saw a Lake Effect connection from Ontario earlier today going from SLK to Mansfield, so that might have helped.

It got down to -SN or even flurries for a moment but it's roared back snowing with a purpose again.

WUNIDS_map.gif.72f3304898a24d939ccd5d0ed58f8ad0.gif

If his temp is near 36 I can’t imagine fluff piling up too well. 

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That line looks fun.  Snowing good now and will be fun to watch this approach.

I'm psyched to hear that the Greens are cashing in today. I'm off from work tomorrow and planning a tour up Big Jay with my buddy. It's a bit of a drive from here to say the least, but our trees just aren't skiing right now in the Whites. I've never been disappointed with the snowpack up near Jay Peak, and I would imagine they are experiencing something similar to you right now.

31 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Weird temp.  34F at BTV and 30F at Morrisville-Stowe.  Never thought temperature would be an issue? 

The temperature I reported might be a bit high, since it’s just a standard digital thermometer and there’s no aspiration or anything.  I have it on the north side of a pole, but if there’s any solar influence at all, we know it heats up a bit.  Either way, although we had flakes all morning, there was never anything at the intensity that would add up to an inch or two, it just wasn’t steady/heavy enough.  I think we were just out of that more intense stuff you’ve been seeing – even at elevation around here, I don’t think Bolton was getting hit with that based on what I’ve seen from their webcams.

1 hour ago, wx2fish said:

Nice to see it pounding on the Pittsburg webcams with a few inches down so far. Seems like this year has been lacking these arctic fropa 3-6"+ events for the upslope areas. 

This live feed is one of the best I've found up there. 

can confirm. just had an absolute white out roll through Lopstick. Vis was maybe 75-100 ft