• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

Might really have a melt if this next system gets shunted south and we fringe again. Unlike some of my VT counterparts I am not chill about sharing the snow and still have the PA mindset that I need to maximize every chance. I just want a large storm. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, timp said:

Might really have a melt if this next system gets shunted south and we fringe again. Unlike some of my VT counterparts I am not chill about sharing the snow and still have the PA mindset that I need to maximize every chance. I just want a large storm. 

I don't think it will get that far south. UKMET is an outlier and it along with the other models all shifted back north at 12z. It kinda doesn't matter to us if it trends colder, just as long as it doesn't get so cold it shunts the whole thing south. Not seeing signs of that. It's not a super cold airmass.

Looks like a really solid overrunning event at the moment. Glad to not have to worry about phasing and stream interaction.

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I don't think it will get that far south. UKMET is an outlier and it along with the other models all shifted back north at 12z. It kinda doesn't matter to us if it trends colder, just as long as it doesn't get so cold it shunts the whole thing south. Not seeing signs of that. It's not a super cold airmass.

Looks like a really solid overrunning event at the moment. Glad to not have to worry about phasing and stream interaction.

It’s definitely the most promising look we’ve had this winter for an easy 6-12”. At least in N VT. And if it plays out right it would be an extended period of snow which is always more fun. Glad you guys in NH have been making out alright lately! 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, timp said:

It takes a while to shake the southern mentality.  I still occasionally remind myself this is not the Hudson River Valley near Albany.  Maybe it snows like 4-6 feet in April like 2007, ha, plenty of time left.

Nice day out there today though!

Untitled.thumb.jpg.90c45905a20897c2a79b63b0b21df37a.jpg

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, timp said:

It’s definitely the most promising look we’ve had this winter for an easy 6-12”. At least in N VT. And if it plays out right it would be an extended period of snow which is always more fun. Glad you guys in NH have been making out alright lately! 

Euro came back north and looks great for the northern ski zone in VT/NH.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, timp said:

While I was glad to see SNE get theirs, especially since we were never in it here, snow is not a team sport

(credit @PhineasC)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, alex said:

Holy cow the skiing today is amazing. Except Diane if you’re reading - it’s absolutely awful. Stupid powder everywhere it’s such an inconvenience :P

Just saw your post on FB.  Kids getting big fast.  Although it is a cold January day the sun is starting to have some melting power.  Getting to that time of year that the southern exposed banks can even melt when it is well below freezing.

Todays model runs are showing about 1.50" of qpf coming up late week.  Should be another interesting situation to see how it plays out.   Those pesky SNEnglanders have overtaken me in snow totals.  Time to take that back.  I can take a few more weeks of winter but each year it seems I look forward to spring earlier and earlier.

Pack is at 22" or so and drifted around so it's at the point where it's deep enough that it gets harder to tell just looking out the window that it's not 3 feet. LOL

This is when the 2" refreshers every other day are awesome.

I've gotten some synoptic love this winter, and more coming this week it looks like, but where has the upslope been? Been quiet on that front.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Pack is at 22" or so and drifted around so it's at the point where it's deep enough that it gets harder to tell just looking out the window that it's not 3 feet. LOL

This is when the 2" refreshers every other day are awesome.

I've gotten some synoptic love this winter, and more coming this week it looks like, but where has the upslope been? Been quiet on that front.

There is a definitely a threshold where the lines get blurred on pack depth and just the optics of it. Like when you get to 24-26" I feel like it doesn't look "that" different from 3ft just from an overall perspective kind of like you were mentioning. 

Like even last year after the grinch wiped out 30", got back to 28-29" in FEB I think with little freshers all the time and felt like more OTG.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Any word from @jculligan?

I see Wildcat is reporting a foot. 

More wind from this this than I have seen in prior storms. The light nature of this snow meant it was easily blown around. I have some interesting drifts and little canyons around.  

I was away for the weekend down at Okemo VT, where we had a whopping 0.3 inches. I got back to Jackson late this afternoon and it definitely snowed here, but very hard to say how much. My front walk had anywhere from 2" to 7" depending on where I stuck the ruler, but this was a good 18 hours after the storm ended. It looks like a handful of coop observers in the area measured anywhere from 2-3" so I'm going to have to rely on their measurements for this one.

Looking forward to Thursday night/Friday now...

1 hour ago, jculligan said:

I was away for the weekend down at Okemo VT, where we had a whopping 0.3 inches. I got back to Jackson late this afternoon and it definitely snowed here, but very hard to say how much. My front walk had anywhere from 2" to 7" depending on where I stuck the ruler, but this was a good 18 hours after the storm ended. It looks like a handful of coop observers in the area measured anywhere from 2-3" so I'm going to have to rely on their measurements for this one.

Looking forward to Thursday night/Friday now...

OK, appreciate the update. Sounds like Randolph maxed out the potential of another one.

Hopefully later this week delivers.

22 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Just checked, MVL is -5.9° for the month :shiver:

BTV is -6.6 for the month!  That is incredible for the Champlain Valley, especially at a site that has been warm in many recent years this decade.

The average temperature in this January has been 14.3F in Burlington, the large valley market brings numbers..  The North Country has been cold.

On 1/29/2022 at 9:57 PM, powderfreak said:

Only a dusting this evening in Stowe. Just arctic air moving through the ski town. Great winter sunset as earlier mentioned.

I saw some flakes here at our place on Saturday night as well, but nothing that reached the 0.1” threshold, so a trace was all that was reported for our site with that system.

I actually found some measurable accumulation on the boards this morning though – I’m not sure when the precipitation occurred, but checking back in the AFD, the BTV NWS says the scattered snow shower activity in the area is from a weak boundary with interacting vorticity embedded in the mid/upper-level trough across the Northeast:

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

651 PM EST Sun Jan 30 2022

.SYNOPSIS...

A weak boundary will produce scattered snow showers across northern New York into Vermont late tonight into Monday afternoon. Snowfall accumulations will be a dusting to 2 inches in the most persistent snow shower activity, mainly over northern New York.

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT/...

As of 641 PM EST Sunday... Water vapor shows mid/upper lvl trof acrs the ne conus with several weak embedded 5h vorts. First weak s/w is approaching the Ottawa Valley this aftn, with secondary vort located btwn Hudson Bay and the northern Great Lakes. These disturbances in the jet stream winds aloft wl interact with a weak sfc boundary to produce periods of light snow shower activity acrs northern NY into the mtns of northern VT late tonight into Monday.

On 1/27/2022 at 8:33 AM, bwt3650 said:

Another -20 plus morning.  I’m new up here, but I don’t remember many at all last year and this has to be 5-10 times this season we’ve been 20 plus below.  Anyone @J.Spin have temp anomaly stats for January around here?

I saw this post the other day but forgot to respond.  During the winter, I typically report whatever my thermometer says in the notes section of my morning CoCoRaHS observations, and I’ll include the temperature when I report on snow accumulations here, but that’s about it – I don’t do any continuous temperature monitoring, so I don’t have any stats for deviations.