Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

19 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Whiff and then cutter? Gonna need some serious bread and butter to fix things. Ugly looking model runs into mid-Feb. 

The GYX least/expected/most snow list this AM has the widest spreads I've seen.  Farmington's 0"/6"/13" is eye opening, but pales compared to ASH's 0"/9"/21" and PSM's 1"/1"/23".  Pretty wild for 2 days before first flakes.

Tickled -30 here this morning, only the 6th such minima in 24 years.  Others were in January 2005, 2009 (twice), 2014 and December 2017.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, sankaty said:

Any likelihood of upslope snow in the Greens on the backside of this system, or not the right setup?

The low is too far east when it hits the right latitude and not enough moisture in the low levels with the arctic air mass advecting in behind it.  Some windy light snows maybe but right now not going to be anything worth noting.  She just escaped too far east.  Should be a great storm to watch unfold though for the eastern areas near the coast.

• Like 1

Can't help but feel giddy watching the trends today...especially the most recent NAM. I certainly wouldn't hang my hat on that model more than 24 hours from the event, but it's fun to look at and imagine how things COULD unfold ha. I won't be observing this event from my normal location in Jackson; my girlfriend's son is turning 10 this weekend and we're spending tomorrow through Sunday at an Airbnb near Okemo VT. Jackson looks to be in better position synoptically, but maybe the Green Mountain spine can work its magic and provide just enough enhancement to tack on a few more inches in that location. One can dream.

1 minute ago, jculligan said:

Can't help but feel giddy watching the trends today...especially the most recent NAM. I certainly wouldn't hang my hat on that model more than 24 hours from the event, but it's fun to look at and imagine how things COULD unfold ha. I won't be observing this event from my normal location in Jackson; my girlfriend's son is turning 10 this weekend and we're spending tomorrow through Sunday at an Airbnb near Okemo VT. Jackson looks to be in better position synoptically, but maybe the Green Mountain spine can work its magic and provide just enough enhancement to tack on a few more inches in that location. One can dream.

Yeah, trends since 18z are for this to be a decent east flow event for the whites. Models all have enhanced precip over us. I am thinking 6-10 but NAM and the 18z Euro hint at a boom potential of 12"+.

26 minutes ago, alex said:

Let’s focus on the cutter. :P

JK nice to see the trends! Even 4 inches will be great. At this point everything is skiable, it’s all delicious gravy!

06Z Euro Aligning western cutoff more north to south, now brings over 1” qpf over good portion of NH.  With high SLR, I think you will do pretty nicely.  Over here, jury still out.  It is going to be close on a plowable snow.

Since VT isn't really in it for the big snows, lets talk about the truly exciting stuff.  Month to date BTV is -6.1° MPV is -2.1° and MVL is -5.5°.  Been a pretty chilly month.  BTV is what really stands out to me.  It seems hard for them to get even an average month temperature wise let alone such a large negative departure.  I would think some of that is due to a new 30 year timeframe but I don't know.  It has been cold.

Since it's now or never, I made the brutal trek down to the lakefront to replace my anemometer. My anxiety going up on that boathouse roof grows with every year. The ice was rumbling constantly, and there were a couple of big booms that spooked me. I wasn't expecting to be able to feel them so clearly.

Anyways, 2mph with gusts to 4.

• Like 1

Just now, eekuasepinniW said:

Since it's now or never, I made the brutal trek down to the lakefront to replace my anemometer. My anxiety going up on that boathouse roof grows with every year. The ice was rumbling constantly, and there were a couple of big booms that spooked me. I wasn't expecting to be able to feel them so clearly.

Meanwhile Black Cat Island is gusting to 40 

1 minute ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Nice to see you post again.  I missed you.  You kept me on the straight and narrow!

14 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Meanwhile Black Cat Island is gusting to 40 

are you trying to get me to smash my new laptop or what

13 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Nice to see you post again.  I missed you.  You kept me on the straight and narrow!

I'm trying to make the world a better place, one accurate pond depth report at a time. :wub:

• Like 2