Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

15 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

6 inches of fluff the last three days. Everything is covered and looks wintry. I could take this stuff for the next couple months and be good. Now all eyes turn to the weekend coastal. Not sure what to make of it for NNE yet.  

It would be disappointing to not to get in on some of the goods with such a powerful system.  It looks like a fun one to watch regardless.

Nice system to be watching.   I have finally learned that when the media broad brushes Central NH they never include the down sloping from the Whites.  Plymouth south into my area around Newfound Lake seems to do better in SWFEs.  I'm behind in snow totals for the season and not expecting more than 8" even if the system comes closer. 

38 minutes ago, EMontpelierWhiteout said:

It would be disappointing to not to get in on some of the goods with such a powerful system.  It looks like a fun one to watch regardless.

Our fate as usual will not simply be tied to a QPF map. As we get closer we will see what the mesos do with rates, banding, and upslope.

I am thinking 6-10 here for the synoptic easterly flow part of the storm. Even if the storm is well off the coast I can wring out some moisture usually.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Our fate as usual will not simply be tied to a QPF map. As we get closer we will see what the mesos do with rates, banding, and upslope.

I am thinking 6-10 here for the synoptic easterly flow part of the storm. Even if the storm is well off the coast I can wring out some moisture usually.

The banding with these powerful storms, and how terrain and wind direction impact local areas, is always tricky.  Here in N. Central VT we got under a meso-band during the MLK storm that was not predicted, with 2”/hr rates for a couple of hours.  Fun to watch.  

7 hours ago, J.Spin said:

Assuming the snow growth parameters producing the snow you’ve seen continue to be present, that should be very interesting to see.  Things can change as the energy moves east of course, but there’s always lots of potential when areas of deeper moisture run into the spine.  I’m not home at the moment, but we’ve got our snow stake webcam running, and that typically provides a decent real-time visual of what goes on at our site in terms of snowfall rates.

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

That fizzled… maybe a quarter inch more?  Good fluffer though just over 3”.

Suns coming out now.

When you got hit by that first batch, you could see that the incoming moisture wasn’t one big wall that we sometimes get with upslope, it was more disorganized.  That’s why I made that comment about the potential changes as it moved east.  We had just a trace here because the moisture (atypically) sort of dried up before it hit the spine.  There were some streamers in there, so certain spots saw more snow if they got under those.  I can’t say exactly how much we picked up in BTV, but it certainly could have been a fluffy inch overall from the various snowfall rates I saw.

In any event, these past two systems have delivered nicely in the bread and butter format.  The next potential one of these looks to be in the Friday timeframe:

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

625 PM EST Tue Jan 25 2022

.SHORT TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT/...

As of 415 PM EST Tuesday...Quiet but cold early Thursday as ~1030mb high begins to shift eastward ahead of our next clipper system on Friday. Chances for snow increase towards Friday morning as surface boundary enters our far western New York zones. The best upper level dynamics remain north of the border, but enough moisture in the snow growth zone along with some modest surface convergence should allow for widespread snow showers during the day on Friday. Soundings are fairly unimpressive, so do not anticipate heavy snow showers, but an inch or two of light snow is possible area wide by Friday night as activity largely comes to an end.

• Like 1

Great midweek afternoon on the hill.

If there's one big difference from last winter, it's that midweek feels like midweek again. When people need to physically report to work and school Monday through Friday, it definitely is a different dynamic.  Last winter was steady crowd levels 7 days a week, no real ebb or flow.  This season it's big weekends and light volume Monday through Friday.

272706629_10104723620767980_847392372708

272818499_10104723620777960_626387743658

272805585_10104723620817880_619925802735

272667949_10104723620837840_688584775061

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, EMontpelierWhiteout said:

All is not lost.   Northern stream energy amplifying the trough and closing off upper low sooner not off the table yet.

Sounds like wishcasting to me...nothing on the horizon but cold, Im going with a 2007 analog and mid feb is gonna crush it all the way to april.  That's me wishcasting :)

28 minutes ago, timp said:

-18° already lol. See a bunch of -20s up in the NEK. Deck is popping like crazy and scaring my cats. This is definitely getting old.  

Hyde Park is a funny place and not many people know it,  surely you arent in the village.  You go up to garfield and it's another world especially with snowfall.  And temps.  Up by green river reservoir they easily get double the snow of hp village for instance.  Microclimate heaven up there.  ONly -13 in Waterbury Ctr so far

14 minutes ago, dmcginvt said:

Hyde Park is a funny place and not many people know it,  surely you arent in the village.  You go up to garfield and it's another world especially with snowfall.  And temps.  Up by green river reservoir they easily get double the snow of hp village for instance.  Microclimate heaven up there.  ONly -13 in Waterbury Ctr so far

Yeah that area has some sneaky elevation and I can imagine some massive snow totals in those hills. Looked at a few houses in the area but the roads during mud season and complete lack of internet providers was a no go. Ended up with a place nearby the 100/100C junction. 

On 1/25/2022 at 8:23 PM, powderfreak said:

Great midweek afternoon on the hill.

If there's one big difference from last winter, it's that midweek feels like midweek again. When people need to physically report to work and school Monday through Friday, it definitely is a different dynamic.  Last winter was steady crowd levels 7 days a week, no real ebb or flow.  This season it's big weekends and light volume Monday through Friday.

272706629_10104723620767980_847392372708

272818499_10104723620777960_626387743658

272805585_10104723620817880_619925802735

272667949_10104723620837840_688584775061

I loved when I used to have Mondays off when I lived up there. I would have smuggs almost to myself. There would still be visible areas of corduroy at last chair.

8 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Another -20 plus morning.  I’m new up here, but I don’t remember many at all last year and this has to be 5-10 times this season we’ve been 20 plus below.  Anyone @J.Spin have temp anomaly stats for January around here?

It’s definitely colder and less snowy than last winter so far here. We’ve dodged the big cutters so far… next week looks ugly. 

17 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

-26F for a low and a bunch of idiot lights on my SUV dashboard lol.  Machines don’t like this very much apparently.

Haha yes I’ve noticed-25 is when the Tesla starts struggling with heat. It’s warming msg inside but definitely not as warm as I’d like it to be (I pretty much like driving in a mobile sauna in the morning). But given that it’s a heat pump system it’s amazing that it even works at these temperatures lol

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It’s definitely colder and less snowy than last winter so far here. We’ve dodged the big cutters so far… next week looks ugly. 

We are due for some cutters/warmer weather. But I don’t necessarily know that it will be “ugly”. We usually get a few days of melting here and there and then go right back up to where things were… not worth sweating over it. We’ve got plenty of winter left (some would argue too much lol)

• Like 1