Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

BTV says 1"-3" here

That's the basic forecast here too, GYX was pointing out that the SW upslope spots could see a little enhancement to bump totals a bit. 

I was surprised to snag 2.5" of fluff last night so not ruling out a little extra from the clipper which has much more moisture than whatever last night was.

I think NNE could get a little surprise. It would not shock me one bit to see the PF 5" camera shot.

2 hours ago, mreaves said:

BTV now -5.2° on the month and no real warm up in sight.  That's pretty impressive.  Across the lake, Plattsburgh is -6.5°

Edit: Just looked at Saranac Lake, -5.2° Average temp 8.5° :shiver:

Only -3.3 here but enough to end with just the 2nd BN month since October 2020 - 13 of 14 months AN Nov 2020-Dec 2021.  From the 11th on January has been -8.2.

48 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Yep, love those..covers up the "tired" snowpack look.

It's one of the great benefits of the numerous smaller "snows" that happen in the mountain zones.  It's crazy how even a half inch of feathery crystals can make it look like the whole snowpack just fell looking out over a yard or field.  Puts the "sparkle" back into the top layer of the snow.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Very quiet in this thread. What are we thinking about this clipper? Radar shows some returns headed into VT now. Anything going on?

Looks like a two part deal... the gentle warm air advection -SN on SW flow aloft and SE flow at the surface through like 7-8am.  Then there's some stuff with the cold front as the SFC wind veers SW to W to NW throughout the day tomorrow.  Snow growth should be fairly optimal given the H85 to H7 temperatures.  Probably a 2-4" fluffer once tomorrow evening rolls around?

• Like 1

Very quiet in this thread. What are we thinking about this clipper? Radar shows some returns headed into VT now. Anything going on?

Sounds silly, but the 2.5 of fluff here on top of the cement base really made things look nice here. Has a deep winter look even if the pack is below normal. Hope to get another 3-4" of the same.

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Looks like a two part deal... the gentle warm air advection -SN on SW flow aloft and SE flow at the surface through like 7-8am.  Then there's some stuff with the cold front as the SFC wind veers SW to W to NW throughout the day tomorrow.  Snow growth should be fairly optimal given the H85 to H7 temperatures.  Probably a 2-4" fluffer once tomorrow evening rolls around?

The BTV NWS point forecast here has fluctuated between 2-4” and 3-5” from what I’ve seen, so the thoughts above seem right on track.  I’m currently seeing 3-7” shown for the Mansfield point forecast.  I think folks will post some observations when the flakes start to fly, but I’d say we don’t need too much fanfare yet - for now it seems like good ol’ NNE

922203861_BreadButter.jpg.1b71f8ab1eb35829f84e9329a7b56012.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I see that we’ve got some snow falling here at our site now, so any dry levels in the atmosphere must have been saturated.

Yeah, the official ASOS sites have gone 2sm visibility at MPV and MVL…2.5sm BTV and 1.25sm SLK.  East includes 9sm at BML and 10sm visibility at HIE.

The larger scale lift moving eastward at the ASOS spots.

We were out for a couple of sessions this weekend in the Bolton Valley area, so I can pass along some snowpack and conditions updates.

Saturday was the chillier of the two days, so we hit the BV Backcountry Network, starting our tour all the way down at 1,200’.  From my Tuesday outing, I found a total snowpack depth of ~18” at 1,500’, and I wouldn’t say it was much less at the 1,200’ elevation.  Depth checks on the powder revealed 12-13” above the base, and overall coverage was absolutely fine for the low and moderate angle terrain we were skiing.  The powder has obviously settled a bit since the period immediately after Izzy, but the cold temperatures have probably minimized the settling somewhat and/or some sublimation/drying is keeping the powder reasonably dry.

On Sunday I was up in the 2,000’ – 3,000’ range at the main area of the resort for some lift-served skiing, and I focused on the Wilderness area since this weekend was the season debut for running the Wilderness Double Chair.  The overall snowpack is deeper up at those elevations of course, you can easily tack on another foot up around 3,000’, but a lot of the difference is subsurface snow/base – the powder depths weren’t all that different.  On piste surfaces were excellent packed powder aside from areas that were wind scoured or steep, but of course Wilderness doesn’t have snowmaking, and until this weekend the only traffic had been ski touring, so that’s left the snow quite pristine overall.

The depths I’m report were all ahead of the Sunday evening system and this one that’s currently coming through the area, so these will certainly top off/replenish those powder depths, even if they aren’t major contributors to the total L.E. of the snowpack.  On piste, I’m sure these little systems will soften up spots that aren’t icy due to snowmaking, steep pitch, or high traffic.

A few shots from the weekend:

22JAN22B.thumb.jpg.7c0424acbb6d8298ca17a7b989701846.jpg

23JAN22B.thumb.jpg.76f48a50147e48fccb7a3080f61195ed.jpg

22JAN22A.thumb.jpg.4237e7e8c35d723d7f681d1a293a580c.jpg

22JAN22C.jpg.7fcdb2cb16ba2c159ece0d2e177f253e.jpg

23JAN22A.jpg.aa05782ec5f3c58ec3d6b324a1246758.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

We’ve got some snow starting back up here in BTV.

I've got a good feeling about this given the snow in town on these light returns.  Absolutely maximized dendritic growth.  If we can get 30dbz in here I bet it'd be up to 2"/hr or even more.  It's crazy how good it's snowing on these 15dbz returns.  Can see moisture building west.

Just measured a clean 3" so far.

WUNIDS_map.gif.364c0ecfac911739fd6adb9aad2ed751.gif

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I've got a good feeling about this given the snow in town on these light returns.  Absolutely maximized dendritic growth.  If we can get 30dbz in here I bet it'd be up to 2"/hr or even more.  It's crazy how good it's snowing on these 15dbz returns.  Can see moisture building west.

Just measured a clean 3" so far.

WUNIDS_map.gif.364c0ecfac911739fd6adb9aad2ed751.gif

Assuming the snow growth parameters producing the snow you’ve seen continue to be present, that should be very interesting to see.  Things can change as the energy moves east of course, but there’s always lots of potential when areas of deeper moisture run into the spine.  I’m not home at the moment, but we’ve got our snow stake webcam running, and that typically provides a decent real-time visual of what goes on at our site in terms of snowfall rates.

21 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Assuming the snow growth parameters producing the snow you’ve seen continue to be present, that should be very interesting to see.  Things can change as the energy moves east of course, but there’s always lots of potential when areas of deeper moisture run into the spine.  I’m not home at the moment, but we’ve got our snow stake webcam running, and that typically provides a decent real-time visual of what goes on at our site in terms of snowfall rates.

It’s odd, it’s sort of warm out with some dim sun.  Snow is sliding off the sides of the cars and compressing.  Up to 28F.

3” though on the flat surfaces.  It’s that super clumpy fluff.

B1BEA019-8404-4FDE-8AFB-62FC773FF358.jpeg.4e0d02fc40053801420753480fb3ffff.jpeg

I love how we are sort of in our own world in this thread.  Everyone talking about expected snow in the other thread while we are discussing snow that we already have.  I hope we get some action from the big storm but I'm a jackpot guy.  I would be really bitter if I was staring at bare ground when those south of us got 2'+ though