Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Anything in VT yet? Looks like some precip streaming into the area.

55 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We had a period of light snow earlier and now flurries.

The Lake Ontario streamer was just north of this area… someone north of BTV may have grabbed a fluffy 2-3” in that persistent fluffer.

Now looks like into BTV but starting to extend east.  Weirdly it’s looked to be the valley the past 3 hours.  Maybe some northerly surface convergence just north of the boundary and Champlain Valley does good convergence funneling between the mtns.

26 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Just started snowing steadier here.  Probably around 1 mile visibility type stuff.

Thus far today I haven’t seen anything at the house, and I was up at Bolton for a midday session and didn’t see any flakes there either.  I have seen some flakes this afternoon on the Bolton Webcam, and I’m starting to see some snow crash out around the local peaks.  PF is seeing flakes, so maybe this next wave of moisture will have a little more oomph to get flakes down to the surface.

Happened to be driving through Essex/Colchester right as those yellow pixels popped overhead. Picked up an inch or so to freshen things up.

... and edit to add that walking outside to above zero temps this am was delightful. Felt like a spring morning hah

1 hour ago, Froude said:

Happened to be driving through Essex/Colchester right as those yellow pixels popped overhead. Picked up an inch or so to freshen things up.

... and edit to add that walking outside to above zero temps this am was delightful. Felt like a spring morning hah

That fluffer just hit the mountain pretty hard!  It's total fluffy but looks great.

A solid 3" at the Lookout Snow Plot and 4" at the High Road plot off the Gondola.

Nice 3-4 inch afternoon on the hill!

634183122_Jan23.thumb.jpg.4f01b63528b798d204180358a1524073.jpg

1989973348_Jan23Snow.jpg.36985bfa4dd50eec06273eb4e25fa8b7.jpg

• Like 1

Hum,  I am not sure what I am seeing in this picture.  I took it yesterday mid morning from my house looking SW towards Ragged Mtn.  It was still very cold down below and it looks like there was a weak inversion.  The "cloud" at the base of Ragged was there for awhile and changed shapes.  It almost looks like their snowmaking guns were producing snow that was drifting down the mountain and settling near where the lodge would be. 

Any guesses?

Edit:  I really zoomed in.  Perhaps they were just taking advantage of the -10F and making snow along the trails at the base of the mountain

Ragged.jpg

28 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Hum,  I am not sure what I am seeing in this picture.  I took it yesterday mid morning from my house looking SW towards Ragged Mtn.  It was still very cold down below and it looks like there was a weak inversion.  The "cloud" at the base of Ragged was there for awhile and changed shapes.  It almost looks like their snowmaking guns were producing snow that was drifting down the mountain and settling near where the lodge would be. 

Any guesses?

Edit:  I really zoomed in.  Perhaps they were just taking advantage of the -10F and making snow along the trails at the base of the mountain

Ragged.jpg

That happens here pretty frequently in very cold weather - sometimes it drifts all the way to my house. In really low temperature the guns create a "snowmaking cloud" that settles in the valley. Not sure what the physics of it are, but it's interesting to see anyways. 

Speaking of fake snow, tonight's fluff stacks up really well - already over an inch. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Any guesses?

Ragged.jpg

Yeah that's quite common.  Snowmaking trapped under the inversion.

Here's a buddy's (Mike Hitelman photography) drone shot the other day of snowmaking moisture trapped under the inversion.

All of this is 100% snowmaking pumping moisture into the air and it not being able to break the mixing layer.  You can see the snowmaking going on above the inversion too.  But every gun pumping moisture below that is just filling the lower elevations with high RH condensing air.

Untitled.jpg.f2fcc68bde7372b7fc9e5e331405b0cb.jpg

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Over 2" now and still snowing decently. Impressed. I figured this was a bust.

Total weenie fluff for sure. The snow compresses into nothing when you walk on it.

Still counts, tho.

Absolutely!  It's flakes that fall from the sky and accumulate to a given height.  That's the definition of "snowfall."

12 minutes ago, mreaves said:

BTV now -5.2° on the month and no real warm up in sight.  That's pretty impressive.  Across the lake, Plattsburgh is -6.5°

Edit: Just looked at Saranac Lake, -5.2° Average temp 8.5° :shiver:

It’s been pretty damn cold IMO just anecdotally.  -12F this morning leaving the driveway.