Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

-15F with a dew of -20F at the ASOS.

It is absolutely frigid outside... tree and deck popping cold.  These temperatures hit a different way.  0F is one thing, the -15F to -20F and colder stuff is fairly brutal.  Especially at 9:30pm letting the dog out for the last time this evening.  She went out, did the business, and came inside even as starting to lift paws due to cold.  It's the type of cold you die in if you ended up stranded outside in.

33 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I just saw a commercial on NECN for the Cog Railway. I didn’t realize they ran in winter. They don’t go to the summit though, only as far as Waumbek Station at 3900’. That would still be pretty cool though. 

I'd like to go up on that, Ive been up the mountain every other way but the cog.

2 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I'd like to go up on that, Ive been up the mountain every other way but the cog.

I did it in the fall. It was cool for sure. The least stressful way to do it. If you ever have guests and want to take them to the summit, that's the way to do it. Avoid that white knuckle drive.

2 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I’ve been up it in summer. It’s cool but pricey. I think it was $60 a piece. Probably wouldn’t do the summer trip again but winter is only $41. I might do that. 

21 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I’ve been up it in summer. It’s cool but pricey. I think it was $60 a piece. Probably wouldn’t do the summer trip again but winter is only $41. I might do that. 

It was actually marketed as a ski train for a while. There are allegedly snowmaking pipes along the track because I’m at some point they wanted to develop that area around the railroad for skiing. Not sure how many people still do it - but yes only goes to Waumbek in the winter 

4 hours ago, alex said:

at some point they wanted to develop that area around the railroad for skiing. Not sure how many people still do it - but yes only goes to Waumbek in the winter 

I never ski on that side but I'm pretty sure adjacent/parallel to the cog rails is a primary route up for skinners/ski touring seeking access to the upper snowfields on the west side of mt.washington.

12 hours ago, Angus said:

this is the week which marks my first visit to Sugarloaf 40 years ago in what I believe was and remains record cold day time highs. Maybe 6 runs with severe frostbite on my face after each run which required going into the lodge to 'warm up'...stopped skiing until 83-84 season it was so horrible! The nice thing is that next Sunday at Jackson Hole, I will be skiing with my buddy who was with me that day.

January 18, 1982 in Fort Kent: -34, gusts above 35 mph, and 2 miles visibility in very light snow, WCI (old scale) -101.  (About -72 on the new.)   My Chevy Luv pickup would barely start despite being plugged in all night.  The wind howled all day with an afternoon high of -14.

Down to -29 here, coldest morning since Dec 29, 2017. Lots of tree-pops in the woods.

58 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

-21…these 20 plus below zero temps are becoming common up here this year.  And this mornings Gfs run was “interesting”

Definitely did not have this cold last year.  The funny thing is how normal it's becoming all the sudden.  You wake up and it's like well it's well below zero again.  This morning was the coldest yet though.