Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

29 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Hum,  1:115pm.   Concord NH 39F   Me  18.8F   Concord is 33 miles SSE.  CAD always rules.  It is a frozen tundra out there.   11" at the snow stake

I posted this in the other thread but the BTV current conditions page is a wild gradient in NH.  Here it’s 10F colder than the west side of Mansfield but starting to erode.

5DD076EA-673B-4E63-AED4-13B31DE05DB0.thumb.jpeg.d35482fb41afd897cf2b3b7410f76e8a.jpeg 

• Like 3

It's 3:15pm and I'm still 21F while Concord is 40F. Nashua is 45F and Berlin is 12F.  WMUR is NH only station so at least in these parts everyone watches them.  It gets me so frustrated when they forecast specific temperatures for each day, to the degree?   The state is orientated N/S from oceans to mountains so no matter what they will be wrong.  Here is today's forecast for example. 

temp.jpg

8 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

It's 3:15pm and I'm still 21F while Concord is 40F. Nashua is 45F and Berlin is 12F.  WMUR is NH only station so at least in these parts everyone watches them.  It gets me so frustrated when they forecast specific temperatures for each day, to the degree?   The state is orientated N/S from oceans to mountains so no matter what they will be wrong.  Here is today's forecast for example. 

temp.jpg

When my MIL comes up to the house she insists on watching the news out of Portland or Manchester and then being shocked when it’s like 25 degrees colder and snowing at the house. I tried to show her the weather app on the phone but older folks love the TV weatherman stuff. It matters way less in Baltimore; the DC forecast would be close enough 90% of the time. She at least now knows that the Berlin forecast is at least going to be closer. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alex said:

It’s actually 35 at the Spruce Peak base with a few flurries

it’s always well mixed there… air never goes calm, it’s always moving.  Mansfield radio towers at 25F, usually +10F in an adiabatic atmosphere to the base.  35F fits.

Southwest flow with warm air advection/WAA still ongoing ahead of the FROPA.  Nothing falling down here, we’ll mix back up in the valley as the wind increases.  Once the wind shifts to NW up there, it’ll drop like a rock.  Tomorrow will be cold.

C03A850E-1336-4956-9E19-A92398A863D8.gif.117a51543b8bf9294601c075a7420d2d.gif

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

LOL winds went south and I spiked to 30 in like a minute. 

If your going to downslope, prob the best direction to do it..cant think of many blockbuster snow events on a south wind. :)

Only issue is a strong cutter making a dent in the pack.

Interestingly, south wind here is one of the few directions that is a non event..even tonight is weird, every station in the valley here is 35-37F while its 31.1F  here almost calm.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

If your going to downslope, prob the best direction to do it..cant think of many blockbuster snow events on a south wind. :)

Only issue is a strong cutter making a dent in the pack.

Interestingly, south wind here is one of the few directions that is a non event..even tonight is weird, every station in the valley here is 35-37F while its 31.1F  here almost calm.

Yeah, it’s the best if you must have a bad wind direction, IMO. It’s crazy how fast the winds can kick up here and the temp spikes with south winds though. That spike on the far right was earlier today. 61D1E7DB-3B2B-459A-A28E-40216F7765E1.thumb.jpeg.9ba5cf84aab6bdcd37efc438df67cc7e.jpeg

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

it’s always well mixed there… air never goes calm, it’s always moving.  Mansfield radio towers at 25F, usually +10F in an adiabatic atmosphere to the base.  35F fits.

Southwest flow with warm air advection/WAA still ongoing ahead of the FROPA.  Nothing falling down here, we’ll mix back up in the valley as the wind increases.  Once the wind shifts to NW up there, it’ll drop like a rock.  Tomorrow will be cold.

C03A850E-1336-4956-9E19-A92398A863D8.gif.117a51543b8bf9294601c075a7420d2d.gif

Any ideas of when the temp will drop? Skied for an hour when I got here this afternoon and it was the perfect temperature! Would love more of that at least part of the day. That’s my biggest complaint about East Coast skiing. Forget about snow quality - Bretton Woods is as good as most places out west I’ve been too when it comes to the quality - at least it on groomers. But the cold is just relentless in mid winter! Love those days in Tahoe or Mammoth when it’s 45 and not a drop of melting snow

17 minutes ago, alex said:

Any ideas of when the temp will drop? Skied for an hour when I got here this afternoon and it was the perfect temperature! Would love more of that at least part of the day. That’s my biggest complaint about East Coast skiing. Forget about snow quality - Bretton Woods is as good as most places out west I’ve been too when it comes to the quality - at least it on groomers. But the cold is just relentless in mid winter! Love those days in Tahoe or Mammoth when it’s 45 and not a drop of melting snow

Your best bet is to hot foot it over to Bolton to get some skiing in under the lights tonight while it’s still mild. :P

It was a slow climb for most of the day, but after starting at -3F we eventually crept up to 32F about an hour ago. It has since settled back to 31F and we'll probably hover in this vicinity until close to sunrise. It's in the mid teens down in the valley, but I'll take the inversion as long as it stays near/below freezing. About 14-15" of snow OTG here.

After Monday's dense snowfall, I'm giving the Sherbie an attempt in the morning. I'm sure there will be some rocks and water bars to be aware of, but in general it's probably skiing fairly well now. Hopefully I can snag a lap just before temps take a nosedive as the arctic air moves in tomorrow.

9 hours ago, alex said:

Ha yeah it’s dropping fast this morning.

Was around 18F when I got here at 5am  and chatted with the groomers, and now it’s 10F.  Looks like a cold week coming up.

52 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Holy moly the pack here is a tank. The brief warmth yesterday seems to have compressed things a little. It’s a glacier on top of icy blocks on top of 1-2 inches of sheet ice. Nothing fluffy about this pack. 

Yeah it’s all there.  Glad you are back up north, must feel relieving. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2022 at 2:08 PM, powderfreak said:

Yeah that’s been my progression. I’m tentative in the woods right now.  Slow, pick your spots.  The spring snowpack is so much better for low depth woods as you are often on top of the snow not in it.  Also at this stage of life the financial implications of shutting on a couch for weeks all maimed aren’t as appealing as when I was in college or in my 20s.

A great local skier saw her season end in the woods during this storm, with 3 fractures and 2 surgeries needed from a hidden snow snake.  It’s sobering.

Winter Storm Izzy was obviously a game changer with respect to the local snowpack, but the Mt. Mansfield Stake data objectively tells that tale that we still haven’t even hit the traditional 40-inch mark at the stake.

20JAN22A.jpg.0de4e5cdab65cfc69e3c209992f586c9.jpg

The appropriately-manicured low and even moderate-angle off-piste pitches are pretty much there, but not really the steep stuff.  We’re getting close on that terrain, and that’s probably making it tough on folks who are chomping at the bit to hit that stuff.  It can also be a bit tougher to manage at Stowe because so much of the off-piste terrain is on the steeper side.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Winter Storm Izzy was obviously a game changer with respect to the local snowpack, but the Mt. Mansfield Stake data objectively tells that tale that we still haven’t even hit the traditional 40-inch mark at the stake.

20JAN22A.jpg.0de4e5cdab65cfc69e3c209992f586c9.jpg

The appropriately-manicured low and even moderate-angle off-piste pitches are pretty much there, but not really the steep stuff.  We’re getting close on that terrain, and that’s probably making it tough on folks who are chomping at the bit to hit that stuff.  It can also be a bit tougher to manage at Stowe because so much of the off-piste terrain is on the steeper side.

The groomed trails could use some too. I was preeeeetty icy