Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

13 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Event totals: 3.3” Snow/0.38” L.E.

The overnight accumulations from Winter Storm Izzy already put down quite a shot of L.E. around here – almost 0.40” of L.E. in just this first round.

Details from the 8:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 3.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.38 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 8.7

Snow Density: 11.5% H2O

Temperature: 24.1 F

Sky: Snow (1-10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 8.5 inches

Good base builder ahead of drier upslope tonight. 

Just now, EMontpelierWhiteout said:

Good base builder ahead of drier upslope tonight. 

I totally agree.  I didn’t know this accumulation was going to be even denser than 10 to 1, but that will be fantastic for the base.

We actually were out on the Bolton Valley Backcountry Network yesterday for a snowshoe tour, and I was quite impressed with the off piste/backcountry ski conditions that were already present.  The conditions over the past week seem to have been improving under the radar.  There was decent base and 6-7” of powder atop that, even down in the 2,000’ – 2,500’ elevation band.  On our ascent of the Bryant Trail, I took the image below of a track that a skier had left in the A1A glade area, probably around 2,300’, and I was definitely wishing I’d brought my skis instead.  Things have really been primed for a synoptic storm like this, and the coverage is in a position that even the ~0.40” of liquid we’ve picked up so far is actually going to kick things up substantially.

16JAN22C.thumb.jpg.c04c56bdcdd2fe44f1660fd91ec7ef5d.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I totally agree.  I didn’t know this accumulation was going to be even denser than 10 to 1, but that will be fantastic for the base.

We actually were out on the Bolton Valley Backcountry Network yesterday for a snowshoe tour, and I was quite impressed with the off piste/backcountry ski conditions that were already present.  The conditions over the past week seem to have been improving under the radar.  There was decent base and 6-7” of powder atop that, even down in the 2,000’ – 2,500’ elevation band.  On our ascent of the Bryant Trail, I took the image below of a track that a skier had left in the A1A glade area, probably around 2,300’, and I was definitely wishing I’d brought my skis instead.  Things have really been primed for a synoptic storm like this, and the coverage is in a position that even the ~0.40” of liquid we’ve picked up so far is actually going to kick things up substantially.

16JAN22C.thumb.jpg.c04c56bdcdd2fe44f1660fd91ec7ef5d.jpg

Yeah, that looks nice.  Now if we can get snowfall rates going again.  Snow has been really light here for a couple hours now.

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Crazy, like zero wind in Randolph. Just some light breezes.

It's what makes mountain weather so interesting. I wasn't expecting more than 4-5" from the synoptic of this storm, yet it's done really well. Wind is actually pretty calm now, but it changes constantly. The resort website says gusts up to 82 mph at the top, so I can see why they'd have to close. But even if we get a bit of rain on top of it, this stuff should open up all the glades - it is HEAVY HEAVY snow with very high water content. Should be really nice once we add some fluff on top later tonight/tomorrow

Event totals: 10.6” Snow/0.97” L.E.

It was a 7-hour block of snow collection time while we were up at the mountain today, so with 7.3” new on the boards, snowfall down here in the valley averaged a bit above 1”/hr. during that period.  Up at Bolton the snowfall rate was somewhere in the 1-2”/hr. range, so they picked a good shot today.  If it’s been like this up here in NVT, it’s going to be interesting to see the numbers out of the places that really got into the heavy snows.

Details from the 3:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 7.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.59 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 12.4

Snow Density: 8.1% H2O

Temperature: 32.9 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 16.5 inches

48 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Event totals: 10.6” Snow/0.97” L.E.

It was a 7-hour block of snow collection time while we were up at the mountain today, so with 7.3” new on the boards, snowfall down here in the valley averaged a bit above 1”/hr. during that period.  Up at Bolton the snowfall rate was somewhere in the 1-2”/hr. range, so they picked a good shot today.  If it’s been like this up here in NVT, it’s going to be interesting to see the numbers out of the places that really got into the heavy snows.

Details from the 3:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 7.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.59 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 12.4

Snow Density: 8.1% H2O

Temperature: 32.9 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 16.5 inches

Just when I had caught you in the snow power rankings too. ;)  gonna need a 2 footer here to seal this up.  

Hard to say how much we ended up with here. The wind was insane, so drifting was quite an issue. Depending on where I stick the ruler, I'm getting anywhere from 7-16 inches. Taking the mean measurement, it looks like something in the vicinity of 10-11" is probably most accurate. It sure was pounding for a time, just didn't last as long as I had hoped!

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

From my standpoint, this seems like a bit of an over performer. The snow was in the expected range but I was expecting some taint and mid-upper 30’s. Not getting that and staying all snow is a solid victory. 

Totally agree.  The stretch from 11:00-3:00 was quite impressive.  As storm accelerated north, meso band swung in.  That was not expected.

• Like 1