Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

That's awesome.  Love surprise meso-scale snowy evenings.  Your clouds and snow should keep it "warmer" but if you go clear/calm with several inches of fresh fluff, you could drop fast.  I think you are on a hill top though?  May not vacate "warmth" as quickly as a calm valley with fresh snow?

I guess I need to eat my hat, sitting at -6 right now. We are on a hill and it's common for lows to stay higher than the valley especially fall and spring, but this morning the valley is 2 above.

11 minutes ago, Zeppy said:

I guess I need to eat my hat, sitting at -6 right now. We are on a hill and it's common for lows to stay higher than the valley especially fall and spring, but this morning the valley is 2 above.

All depends on the situation. On a radiational cooling night you'll almost always be warmer than the valley, but on a cold advection night like tonight the hills will cool off first.

• Like 1

Yeah when you’re advecting -30s 850s into NNE it’s going to be real deal cold in the higher terrain. We’ll see what happens tonight as the return flow from the SW begins. There will be a better chance for the valleys to decouple if we can maintain mostly clear skies. So it’ll probably mean the hills have their coldest this morning and the valleys possibly tonight. 

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.02” L.E.

The snow seems to have cleared out this morning, so I’d say that’s it for this event.  The next potential system for the area appears to be in the Thursday/Friday timeframe.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: -6.3 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 5.0 inches

19 minutes ago, klw said:

Coldest I say on my drive up 89 was -9 around Northfield while the warmest was -4.  There was also some snow which had fallen on the high ground in the Barre region.

I had -10.3 and am on the hill opposite Exit 6, above S. Barre at roughly the same elevation.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Looks like some of those river HADS sites in northern Aroostook were able to decouple. -28° at BBR and -29° at Masardis.

A bit surprising that anywhere in NNE decoupled, though those 2 river valley sites would have the best chance.   At 8 AM on a hilltop, FVE was -17 with WCI -39.  Stayed mixed here at -9 with a nasty little breeze.  If the clouds were to stay away until sunrise tomorrow, BBR and Estcourt Station might drop well into the -30s.  Forecasts say no.

-3.3 for the low.

Currently -1.1

My newer VP2 console is reporting a temp of 164 and is scrolling a warning for a dangerously high heat index. Usually it's the older console that does intermittent stuff like this, but it still shows the temp. Also lost wind speed but not direction, and 1 of my extra temp stations. Not a clue what would cause stuff like this... maybe some outside source of radio interference? 

Made it down to -8F at my location this morning, which is the coldest I have observed in the last two winters. Last year's low temp was -3F on 1/30. Up to 3F now at noon.

Cold as it was this morning, it actually was a very pleasant morning for a skin up Black Mountain NH! When I arrived in the parking lot at 7:30 it was -3F but there was virtually no wind, which was somewhat surprising. Due to Black's south-facing exposure, the sun hits the mountain early so I skinned up primarily in the sunshine. I don't think the mountain has been open these last two days, so after Sunday's freezing rain event the snow conditions were...chattery...but I always enjoy a good adventure ski every now and then lol.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jculligan said:

Made it down to -8F at my location this morning, which is the coldest I have observed in the last two winters. Last year's low temp was -3F on 1/30. Up to 3F now at noon.

Cold as it was this morning, it actually was a very pleasant morning for a skin up Black Mountain NH! When I arrived in the parking lot at 7:30 it was -3F but there was virtually no wind, which was somewhat surprising. Due to Black's south-facing exposure, the sun hits the mountain early so I skinned up primarily in the sunshine. I don't think the mountain has been open these last two days, so after Sunday's freezing rain event the snow conditions were...chattery...but I always enjoy a good adventure ski every now and then lol.

You’re a brave one!

Managed to get up to +9F today but we have since tanked back down to -5F. Tough call in terms of how cold it'll get in my location tonight; we're radiating like hell right now, but as warm advection begins aloft my elevation could eventually level off and possibly even rise. Should be a pretty decent inversion by morning.