• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

Heard on the noon news that the Dixmont Mountain stretch of I-95 (~miles 160-65) has struck again, with multiple accidents, and drivers being advised to exit before reaching that section.  For whatever reason it becomes/remains icy while areas closer to Newport of Bangor are just wet.  I've seen multiple cars off the road several times while traveling in that area.

Wild temperature ranges across the White Mountains right now. I made the trek over to Bretton Woods this afternoon around 1pm and it was 36 when I left Jackson, dipped to 34 as I entered Crawford Notch then shot up to 46 when I arrived at Bretton Woods. An hour later it was up to 53 at Bretton Woods, but still 34 in Bartlett and 36 in the village of Jackson. Climbing the hill back to my place, the temperature shot up to 46.

I'm not sure how accurate this PWS is near Randolph Hill, but it logged a high temperature of 65 this afternoon with a peak wind gust of 65 mph:

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KNHRANDO11

15 minutes ago, jculligan said:

Wild temperature ranges across the White Mountains right now. I made the trek over to Bretton Woods this afternoon around 1pm and it was 36 when I left Jackson, dipped to 34 as I entered Crawford Notch then shot up to 46 when I arrived at Bretton Woods. An hour later it was up to 53 at Bretton Woods, but still 34 in Bartlett and 36 in the village of Jackson. Climbing the hill back to my place, the temperature shot up to 46.

I'm not sure how accurate this PWS is near Randolph Hill, but it logged a high temperature of 65 this afternoon with a peak wind gust of 65 mph:

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KNHRANDO11

It’s actually down the hill from me on rt 2 so runs a few degrees warmer. Seems accurate today. I hit 61 degrees with some gusts near 60. Weird weather day. 

Sounds like quite a wind event in favored downslope areas today. Phin already mentioned gusts to near 60 mph in his area, and a friend of mine reported "lots of downed trees" on his drive from Bethlehem to Lancaster NH this afternoon. Bretton Woods wasn't operating their gondola, which is very rare. Fortunately I went there to do some uphill.

3 minutes ago, jculligan said:

Sounds like quite a wind event in favored downslope areas today. Phin already mentioned gusts to near 60 mph in his area, and a friend of mine reported "lots of downed trees" on his drive from Bethlehem to Lancaster NH this afternoon. Bretton Woods wasn't operating their gondola, which is very rare. Fortunately I went there to do some uphill.

We had strong winds above like 3000-3500ft only at the top of the FourRunner Quad but no lift/wind issues.  Seemed you had to get to that height to get out of the inversion of cold tucked in the east slope.  Dead calm and chilly below that inversion.

It is torrential rain now.  Wipers on high type rainfall.

The 18z EURO looked like a fun little event for our NH/ME crew... Gene-Dendy to Alex-Phin to Dryslot triangle?  Tamarack to Culligan foothills?

But that inverted trough QPF right on the coastline is interesting too... those IVT are like lottery tickets, but it's been there on the models and who knows, maybe someone around the coast or immediately inland gets into something more significant?

ecmwf-deterministic-neng-precip_24hr_inch-9054800.thumb.png.24a7ccbb01a057e62adbf05035b2a34d.png

31 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The 18z EURO looked like a fun little event for our NH/ME crew... Gene-Dendy to Alex-Phin to Dryslot triangle?  Tamarack to Culligan foothills?

But that inverted trough QPF right on the coastline is interesting too... those IVT are like lottery tickets, but it's been there on the models and who knows, maybe someone around the coast or immediately inland gets into something more significant?

It would be consistent with our "inch every other day" pattern. I still had a solid snowcover at sunset this evening, but the last 5 hours have completely wiped the slate clean. Hopefully Wednesday's event pans out.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I just noticed that snow is mixing in with the rain here at our place, so colder air must be moving in now on the back side of this storm.

An "angry inch" at 3,000ft... very windy, post-frontal CAA always seems moody.  For 15 years, I've always heard that term used to describe a certain type of snowfall. Includes high wind, dropping temps.  This is an evening where the angry inch phrase is appropriate on the mountain.

485383955_Dec6945pm.thumb.jpg.ed6938befb80f40b2d96723a2fe948a7.jpg

33 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

An "angry inch" at 3,000ft... very windy, post-frontal CAA always seems moody.  For 15 years, I've always heard that term used to describe a certain type of snowfall. Includes high wind, dropping temps.  This is an evening where the angry inch phrase is appropriate on the mountain.

Yeah, perfect phrase for those types of post-frontal accumulations.  Mother Nature seems pretty angry based on the wind – our power flickered a few times and even went out for a few minutes.  On these types of nights, maybe have a beverage from these folks…

AngryInch.jpg.d0e5fff67c1b404ea1b0488e04d95f4f.jpg

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Some energy still swings through NNE and drops a few inches.

Yeah, I saw that on the GFS – looks like it shows snow for a good chunk of Wednesday and Thursday on the latest run.  That can be one of the problems with these coastal things – sometimes they just end up screwing with perfectly good northern stream systems by messing up the energy, so you’d often just as soon have them get out of the way and let the bread and butter do its thing in a more reliable manner.  Obviously those larger coastal storms can be great, but the reliability is just so low compared to the typical Clippers we see.

Drove through squalls on my way up to skin an early lap at Wildcat this morning. Not much accumulation but Route 16 was definitely dicey and visibility was not good. In typical Wildcat fashion, the new snow pretty much blew off the trails exposing the boilerplate conditions underneath. Much different from the soft edgeable conditions at Bretton Woods yesterday lol.

Only a dusting here in Jackson, and it's currently 28F with mostly sunny skies. Tomorrow's event still looks like a general 1-3" type deal on most models. The pattern of nickels and dimes continues, at least for now.

Nothing too compelling on the horizon, a few bouts of bread and butter interspersed with warm-ups and some rain. I expect a continued yo-yo back and forth over the next 10 days. Hard to really build any pack right now.

Hopefully around the 20th we can shift into a more permanently cold and snowy regime better for building a pack. 

Temps hung near 32 into yesterday evening, then popped up to 41 between 8:30 and 9:30.  Only stayed there 10-15 minutes before a quick downpour and a few 30+ gusts chopped the temp back into the mid 30s.  Total precip from the system was 0.52", 0.30" in the AM and the rest with the CF, plus a trace of graupel during the overnight.  Currently upper 20s with full sun and gusts to 25-30.

• Like 1