Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

23 minutes ago, jculligan said:

Snow started here in Jackson around 5pm and we've picked up an inch of fluff so far. Still coming down at a decent clip. Expectations were very low, so I'm quite pleased!

I was wondering about your area.  Radar seemed to show the core of the squalls skirting west then south of the Presidentials.  Some 30dbz cores in there seemed to track from Crawford Notch towards you.  Looked like another pretty strong area lifted through northern Coos and into adjacent Maine.  Not sure where Sunday River is exactly but figured it had to be in that neighborhood for the northern squall.

I was wondering how that played out just south of the Presis.

WUNIDS_map.gif.495428d7c4ea4fad57fa6f2df74413cc.gif

Just want to add was coming back from Btown to h20center at about 5 when it hit French Hill.  It snowed hard, froze instantly, and Man what a shitdown (i'm leaving that typo because I like it, but I meant shutdown).  Shitshow traffic and accidents on both sides with backed up traffic and cops lights everywhere.  It was as if this was  not forecasted and they could do nothing about it.  Maybe put down some brine next time AOT?  I mean I recall reading someone here or maybe an AFd yesterday saying a slug of snow around 4 pm.  Totally avoidable. But in the Vermont way, 97.96% of the people were totally patient and slow once they realized the whole area was a sheet of ice. 

9 minutes ago, dmcginvt said:

Just want to add was coming back from Btown to h20center at about 5 when it hit French Hill.  It snowed hard, froze instantly, and Man what a shitdown (i'm leaving that typo because I like it, but I meant shutdown).  Shitshow traffic and accidents on both sides with backed up traffic and cops lights everywhere.  It was as if this was  not forecasted and they could do nothing about it.  Maybe put down some brine next time AOT?  I mean I recall reading someone here or maybe an AFd yesterday saying a slug of snow around 4 pm.  Totally avoidable. But in the Vermont way, 97.96% of the people were totally patient and slow once they realized the whole area was a sheet of ice. 

Confirmed accident.  But 89 Northbound traffic was "way worse" so that's interesting!!  

Sent: Saturday, December 4, 2021 4:47 PM
To: DPS - Roadway Alert <[email protected]>
Subject: I89 Southbound - Exit 12

Press Release – Highway / Traffic Notification 

I 89 Southboud is Down to One Lane in the area of Exit 12 due to a Motor Vehicle Crash

Motorists should expect delays in the area, or seek alternate routes.   

28 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I was wondering about your area.  Radar seemed to show the core of the squalls skirting west then south of the Presidentials.  Some 30dbz cores in there seemed to track from Crawford Notch towards you.  Looked like another pretty strong area lifted through northern Coos and into adjacent Maine.  Not sure where Sunday River is exactly but figured it had to be in that neighborhood for the northern squall.

I was wondering how that played out just south of the Presis.

WUNIDS_map.gif.495428d7c4ea4fad57fa6f2df74413cc.gif

Ended up with 1.5” here. I was expecting a dusting, so this is a nice surprise! I’m headed to Sunday River tomorrow so I’m hoping they caught this as well.

November Totals

Days with new snow:  16 (+5)

Accumulating Storms:  8 (+2)

Snowfall:  15.0” (+1.2”)

Liquid Equivalent: 5.59” (+1.65”)

SDD:  25.5 (-6.7)

I’ve put together the snow numbers for November at our site.  It was a decent November for both snowfall and liquid as the positive departures show, but snowfall was right around average and not up there with the upper echelon of Novembers – this November ranked 9th out of 16 seasons.  It actually felt like a typical November overall, and that’s good because the numbers suggest that.  Snow-depth days were a bit low, but not outrageously so.

With roughly an average snowfall performance, this November continues the solid run of average to above average Novembers we’ve had for the past six seasons as the plot shows below.  As I noted earlier in the month, this November did not have the feel of those very low snow Novembers with benign (albeit comfortable) weather, and it indeed the data indicate that it wasn’t one of those.

05DEC21A.thumb.jpg.aaf8469d310e8bc2e777d38f11effd44.jpg

In light of bandwidth limitations on my end and on here, it's much easier for me to link photos from my Twitter than to upload onto AmWx. 

That said, I expect things will be large green and brown by dusk tomorrow. Maybe I'll get some snow behind the front if I'm lucky as it is something the mesos have been suggesting for a few runs now.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

In light of bandwidth limitations on my end and on here, it's much easier for me to link photos from my Twitter than to upload onto AmWx. 

That said, I expect things will be large green and brown by dusk tomorrow. Maybe I'll get some snow behind the front if I'm lucky as it is something the mesos have been suggesting for a few runs now.

I will take the over on snow cover

• Like 2

Even though today is a bit of a bummer, I can't really complain about the frequency of snow events in this pattern. I have received 1"+ of snow every other day since last Thursday (1.0" Thursday, 1.5" Saturday, 1.0" today) and it looks like both the GFS and the Euro have arrived at a consensus on events both Wednesday and Friday of this week as well. No, we aren't exactly getting any synoptic bombs...but for those of us that depend almost entirely on synoptic scale events, it's not often we get a refresher every other day! We might be waiting a while for the first 6"+ but I'll take this for now.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Up to 44 with bits of sun breaking through. LOL

Basically zero liquid precip here so far.

Still holding at 33 with steady light rain here. Glazing is done and dripping has commenced. I love how the notches become mesoscale weather boundaries on these types of days. The southerly flow is a bit stronger today compared to last Thursday, when we never really mixed out...so it'll be interesting to see if/when we bust into the warmer air today.