Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

Event totals: 1.8” Snow/0.87” L.E.

I’ve got my observations below from when I got home yesterday evening, and I’d say that’s the end of that system, so the above totals should be the final numbers at our site.

At elevation, where this system was mostly snow, this was a great shot to the snowpack.  Unfortunately I’m not seeing any recent snowpack data at the Mt. Mansfield Stake to get a sense for where it stands at the moment to think about whether or not this could represent the start of the season snowpack.  If there’s a foot or so of dense snow up there, this certainly could be the start of the snowpack.

With this system having wound down now, it looks like the next systems with snow potential are the one coming through tomorrow into Friday, and then maybe something early next week.

Details from the 8:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.11 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 3.6

Snow Density: 27.5% H2O

Temperature: 29.5 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 1.0 inches

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, klw said:

No snow at the stake on Mansfield seems odd given how things have been.

https://matthewparrilla.com/mansfield-stake/

15 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Especially since you can see the mountains covered in snow from 89

I'd have to imagine that is just bad data on there? They'll prob correct it. The Mansfield stake is in a sheltered area there amongst the evergreens, right? You'd have to think there is at least half a foot OTG there.

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'd have to imagine that is just bad data on there? They'll prob correct it. The Mansfield stake is in a sheltered area there amongst the evergreens, right? You'd have to think there is at least half a foot OTG there.

PF is up there as we speak making sure it gets corrected

image.jpeg.99ffb8165feacb9fe86dc4904de5aea2.jpeg

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, klw said:

No snow at the stake on Mansfield seems odd given how things have been.

https://matthewparrilla.com/mansfield-stake/

They aren’t getting any data from their web cam up there.  There’s likely a good foot there… my guess would be depth falls in the 10-14” range.  Been trying to crowd-source some human observations.  One winter we did it entirely human observation but it’s tough now without the lift running.

2 hours ago, mreaves said:

Especially since you can see the mountains covered in snow from 89

22 minutes ago, klw said:

The views were spectacular on my drive up i-89 this morning!

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Any elevation above like 1,000-1,500ft is just absolutely glowing white.

Yeah, I was going to message in about the stunning views around here today – enjoying the west side sights of the spine from my office right now.  The sights aren’t nearly as brilliant now that the clouds have moved in, but it’s great to see that snow line way down there.  I grabbed a quick shot of Mansfield with the cell phone:

17NOV21A.jpg.6143ef705ef712c284079d01b285329d.jpg

On 11/15/2021 at 7:06 PM, dryslot said:

That sounds like a bent connecting rod that seized the motor, had that happen to one of my snowmobiles, Could not pull start it or crank it over with the starter, Check Craigs list or Uncle Henry's for used or a dealer that may have taken something in on trade.

Latest in the snowblower saga - went out this morning, hit the primer once, critter started first pull.  I have absolutely no explanation for why it seemed locked up last Monday.  Not just the starter cord, but the electric starter couldn't crank it either, just a click and hum.  I wonder if the super-fast crank of the earlier use of e-start, before I'd gotten the new primer in place, did something bad.  Seemed to run all right after that start and shut off normally, but it was my next try that I couldn't pull the rope.  Tried again, pulled one turn then it locked up again.   Later Monday I could pull the starter cord but no joy from the engine, and today's experience confirmed (to me) that I'd flooded it with over-use of the primer.

May or may not be relevant:  Many years back (1974 or 75) I was delivering pizzas in BGR with my '69 Nova coupe, 230 cu straight 6.  The gas pedal occasionally would stick, and that evening I started the car and it answered with a roar that became a scream - car had no tach but it would've been scary if there was one.  Shut it off, tapped the pedal, and on the re-start no stuck gas but a deep-engine bang-bang-bang.  Took the pizzas back in for someone else to deliver, thinking car was wrecked, but when I tried again at closing time all was fine.  I ran the car 2 more years/10k miles (to 105k) before it rusted out and I sold it to a chopper for commuting to his logging chance.  Dad said it sounded like I'd 'spun a bearing" (not sure exactly what that means) and somehow it fixed itself.  Same general idea, if different phenomenon, as the snoblo?

6 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Latest in the snowblower saga - went out this morning, hit the primer once, critter started first pull.  I have absolutely no explanation for why it seemed locked up last Monday.  Not just the starter cord, but the electric starter couldn't crank it either, just a click and hum.  I wonder if the super-fast crank of the earlier use of e-start, before I'd gotten the new primer in place, did something bad.  Seemed to run all right after that start and shut off normally, but it was my next try that I couldn't pull the rope.  Tried again, pulled one turn then it locked up again.   Later Monday I could pull the starter cord but no joy from the engine, and today's experience confirmed (to me) that I'd flooded it with over-use of the primer.

May or may not be relevant:  Many years back (1974 or 75) I was delivering pizzas in BGR with my '69 Nova coupe, 230 cu straight 6.  The gas pedal occasionally would stick, and that evening I started the car and it answered with a roar that became a scream - car had no tach but it would've been scary if there was one.  Shut it off, tapped the pedal, and on the re-start no stuck gas but a deep-engine bang-bang-bang.  Took the pizzas back in for someone else to deliver, thinking car was wrecked, but when I tried again at closing time all was fine.  I ran the car 2 more years/10k miles (to 105k) before it rusted out and I sold it to a chopper for commuting to his logging chance.  Dad said it sounded like I'd 'spun a bearing" (not sure exactly what that means) and somehow it fixed itself.  Same general idea, if different phenomenon, as the snoblo?

Sounds like it may be getting hydro locked, Spinning a bearing would be on the crankshaft, That could be it too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Several years ago I had the throttle stick on my snowmobile.  I started it up and it shot off like a rocket straight through the fence.  I still have no idea how my dog managed to get out of the way, she was something like 13 or 14 at the time.  That was that fastest the old girl had moved in quite a while!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

Several years ago I had the throttle stick on my snowmobile.  I started it up and it shot off like a rocket straight through the fence.  I still have no idea how my dog managed to get out of the way, she was something like 13 or 14 at the time.  That was that fastest the old girl had moved in quite a while!

never happened with a sled, but I had the same thing happen with my homemade go-kart when I was a kid. still have a scar on my ankle where the axle rod hit it. thing started up, took off, did a full u-turn, and smashed into a retaining wall. All in the span of about 3 seconds.

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Parts of NNE are still in play for something early to mid next week. It's a convoluted looking thing.

I’d argue from experience that parts of NNE/NNY are almost always in play from any system through the heart of winter – between the elevations of the mountains, the areas covered by LES, the latitude all the way up to Northern Maine, and prominent CAD sites, you really have to have extreme warmth to take that entire region out of the game.  I guess it depends on what you definition of “in play” is, but mine is the possibility of at least some snow/frozen from the system, and it’s the rare system in midwinter where there isn’t the chance of at least something for this neck of the woods.

Many of our events are not going to garner a lot of interest in the main thread though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I’d argue from experience that parts of NNE/NNY are almost always in play from any system through the heart of winter – between the elevations of the mountains, the areas covered by LES, the latitude all the way up to Northern Maine, and prominent CAD sites, you really have to have extreme warmth to take that entire region out of the game.  I guess it depends on what you definition of “in play” is, but mine is the possibility of at least some snow/frozen from the system, and it’s the rare system in midwinter where there isn’t the chance of at least something for this neck of the woods.

Many of our events are not going to garner a lot of interest in the main thread though.

It looks like a rainy frontal passage and then perhaps a weak low that lingers/retrogrades around the area. A scenario I could see would be some snow up front, a period of light rain, and then backside upslope.

Mainly I just want to avoid heavy rain and a wet Thanksgiving.