Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

46 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It'll never seem like a good time to make the move. There will always be something in your personal or professional life that isn't aligning right or blocking the move. You just have to break through the worry and do it. Easier said than done, of course, but it'll be worth it.

I wouldn’t move up full time . I just want the cold season . I don’t want to live anywhere desolate . Owning a rental property would be ideal . I like the mix that spruce peak (Stowe) gives with Scenic luxury , fun amenities , nice crowds ,high Rental demand, and huge snow @1500 next to spine .

It’s just too bad it wasn’t priced more like Snowshoe, Wv.

I wouldn’t do well holed up in some random Isolated  spot , with little company  , wether it’s snows 250” or not 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/31/2021 at 4:55 PM, powderfreak said:

Still raining out.  All day long.  No bueno.  River is quite high.

The other day before the rain, one last tree with leaves on the mountain.  Stick season except for that one yellow tree.

251624526_10104666619119740_668460912899

Meant to comment earlier on this pic from a forester's perspective.  One big lone aspen, a species that won't grow in the shade, amidst the shade-tolerant beech, yellow birch and sugar maple.  Maybe established back in the earliest days of Stowe?

30 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I wouldn’t move up full time . I just want the cold season . I don’t want to live anywhere desolate . Owning a rental property would be ideal . I like the mix that spruce peak (Stowe) gives with Scenic luxury , fun amenities , nice crowds ,high Rental demand, and huge snow @1500 next to spine .

It’s just too bad it wasn’t priced more like Snowshoe, Wv.

I wouldn’t do well holed up in some random Isolated  spot , with little company  , wether it’s snows 250” or not 

I'll hire you and put you in employee housing dorm room up here for the winter.

It won't look like this though :lol::

9a1e238de87bfdbe5d41ce910adf270f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Started as rain and now over to all snow at 1,500ft in the base area.  Trails are turning white not far up.  Looks like big flakes just a few hundred feet higher.

Nice lake effect/upslope connection.

WUNIDS_map.gif.8b79722b672894c8bff9311e7eff335f.gif

PF, another batch is on the way - we just got hit with a bunch or rain and wind here in BTV, and the radar shows a strong pulse coming through.  Not sure how high the snow levels are right now though.

17 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I'll hire you and put you in employee housing dorm room up here for the winter.

It won't look like this though :lol::

9a1e238de87bfdbe5d41ce910adf270f.jpg

I would take a personal trainer position at the lodge , just send in those bored house wives . 

That view from the Main lobby is the best view I’ve seen in any of the New England hotels I’ve stayed . The place is underpriced on a nitely basis compared to other nearby spots as well as the summer Beach hotels this Last year.

I am always talking that lodge up the ladies I train In Lexington Mass studio . Most of them are so used to going up 93 and staying in NH and love the place when they go 

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 9:16 PM, alex said:

Went to check out a lot for sale at Ledgewood today… the top of the lot is at about 2100ft with a 300 degree view. Not a bad home site. Unfortunately not the best orientation (I don’t think you can see Mt Wash from it) but it was hard to tell exactly what you can and cannot see in this weather. Only $499K  :)

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Ledgewood-Dr-Lot-2_Bethlehem_NH_03574_M92106-79197

Are you thinking of building another house?  I would be happy to come over to the lot  with the drone and fly it right at treetop level so you can get an idea of views.

18 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

PF, another batch is on the way - we just got hit with a bunch or rain and wind here in BTV, and the radar shows a strong pulse coming through.  Not sure how high the snow levels are right now though.

Yeah just saw that on radar… looks like a decent squall.  Convective almost, must be some graupel in there?

I’ll see what it is when it gets here.  Summits been holding 29-30F and the earlier snow has melted back up high except can still see some on the “uppers” of the Front Four.

Edit: It just started precipitating and based on the visibility change it looks like the snow level is pretty high to start… 2500-2800ft?

2 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Last time I went up there in October half the mountain was white, I think it was the 3rd week.

Yeah this is pretty late to be honest, it is November now.

Getting ready to see what this wall of precip does when it moves over.  Just started dippin’ dots again.

E3F76D5A-2130-4BC5-B139-4426A6D745E7.jpeg.8ad89708151e05798bea8af0ff72945d.jpeg

3 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

A part of me has really wanted to experience the NNE Snow Climo for as long as I can recall . I know the SNE posters are sick of me saying how lowly our climo is down there . It really is thou for a snow lover . I’m not sure what path I will take to make it happen but I see myself experiencing it , if only for one winter in the next several years 

If I was younger and free I'd go up north for a year or two, find a job, rent a place and see how it goes. Too many roots down here and at my age too late, wish I did it when I was younger.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

The magic has begun 

Yeah, the models have been showing this period for a while with some chances off the lakes, and even just down in the valley in BTV today it was fun to watch it play out.  At times, it was bright and sunny, but you could look around and see streams of moisture off to the north or south and you, and you knew something was falling.  At one point, I was walking between buildings on campus and we were in the midst of a very strong sunshower that had me hustling to get inside.  When that heavier pulse came through BTV later in the afternoon, it seemed like it had a good trajectory for Mansfield.  And, when it’s pouring as it comes through town, you know there’s a chance it will blow up when it hits the spine.  We’re definitely lucky to have PF around on the mountain a lot of the time to document these events – webcams give you an idea of what’s going on, but it’s nothing like having an actual photographer with an interest in the mountain weather out there to report on that mountain magic.

MountainMagic.jpg.1e4a1852739ba924f8233f00d2c10065.jpg

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, powderfreak said:

@eyewallthis reminded me of your early season chases into the Notch.

Photo from AJ’s Sports in Stowe from an employee going through Smugglers Notch:

BC8ADA38-03E4-4CC6-A82F-2DC6BAE52D21.jpeg.bcb4f5d41ec0397bf1f0e9c2a790af20.jpeg

Those were always the best, especially when it happened in October with the post-peak orange trees.

Event totals: 0.1” Snow/0.02” L.E.

At observations time this morning I found accumulation for the first time this season in the form of graupel.  There was nothing present when I last checked in the evening, and nothing falling at the time, so it fell at some point between there and stuck around.  This is also the first frozen precipitation I’ve observed at our site this season – we may have had some pellets as others reported around here during the October rounds of frozen, but nothing that I witnessed here.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 28.7 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: Trace

8 hours ago, powderfreak said:

00z HRRR like’s JSpin’s neighborhood tomorrow.

B5A9E1A4-F2AA-4774-8129-E28850A362C1.thumb.png.0b5c8a1f34485a297562315f0fca16d9.png

There’s actually a push of moisture coming into the area right now from the WNW – the bulk looks a bit north of us and up toward you at the moment, but as it hits the spine we’ll have to see what happens.

03NOV21A.gif.6baa63d95d5cb409f373a1b46b6a10b3.gif