Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

9 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Doggo must be pleased. Always seems sad when the last snow pile melts out.

She rolled around in the frost for sure.  She seemed to understand it wasn’t snow ha, but was like “I guess this will do.”

I almost thought it was snow from a distance because I was like wtf is that trail white for?  Like it’s late afternoon, is that still snow from the other day?  Never expected frost to be that robust.

Like even the evergreens were white , looked like they had snow on them from a distance.

60860C0F-D85E-4985-8890-CE55FF1ED769.jpeg.fdacdbd11cdad42c28d2b6e8135656ea.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Can't escape the paparazzi anywhere  I guess...someone blew up his hiding spot.

https://nypost.com/2021/10/29/alec-baldwin-seen-exchanging-clothes-at-ralph-lauren-amid-rust-investigation/

Yeah I heard he was down there in Manchester.  Celebrities and money love “quaint” Vermont, ha.  Ralph Lauren in the mountains.

Up here Melinda Gates was staying in Stowe last week.  Bill gave her a couple billion for spending money :lol:.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I heard he was down there in Manchester.  Celebrities and money love “quaint” Vermont, ha.  Ralph Lauren in the mountains.

Up here Melinda Gates was staying in Stowe last week.  Bill gave her a couple billion for spending money :lol:.

Was just reading he got takeout at a pizza place in Vermont.

hiked across franconia ridge yesterday. spectacular day with good hiker traffic. was chuckling at myself, just below the ridge on falling waters, running water had turned to ice and I didn't recognize the change and slipped. there was a fairly good frost in the ground at higher elevations too.

2 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Definitely behind here a bit on leaf drop. Top pic is 2019 and bottom is today on same date. Or maybe 2019 was a bit early, who knows.

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Cold rainy dark day.   So many leaves still on the trees.  Oaks are just about to peak but other species still have leaves too.  Maybe 15% bare?

On 10/24/2021 at 7:20 PM, powderfreak said:

That's wild, ha.

We are in that phase that I think Will has described as the nuclear fallout time of year... aka stick season.  

Wow, those foliage images almost seem unfathomable for NNE with respect to what we’re experiencing over here – I feel like we’ve been in stick season for two weeks now.  You can see PF’s comment, which was about a week ago right there, and it wasn’t as if stick season had just started at that point.  There are certainly still some trees here and there in this area with leaves on them, but those images feel like something from a different world.

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That is absolutely wild.  I didn’t think you’d be that different from here.

Wxeye and Backedge both.  Our climate here can't be too different from theirs, and while our big oak is only 1/3 shed, the aspens have only have handfulls of leaves remaining and everything else is sticks except a small beech, the other overwinter leaf-clinging species.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alex said:

Took this yesterday in Burlington. Notice how green some of those trees still are! I was a bit surprised by the difference here, but I guess the lake also creates a significant microclimate 

41E50292-9F51-491D-8E2A-F4B19A763C65.jpeg

Oh BTV is in a land of its own.  That Lake retains heat quite well too, that stuff on the shores will be last to change in the State.  Just like in the spring the stuff along the water might be some of the last to leaf out as the cold lake keeps a lid on things.  Even the difference from the airport to lakeside is huge.

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Oh BTV is in a land of its own.  That Lake retains heat quite well too, that stuff on the shores will be last to change in the State.  Just like in the spring the stuff along the water might be some of the last to leaf out as the cold lake keeps a lid on things.  Even the difference from the airport to lakeside is huge.

This was the first time I've spent anything more than a few hours in BTV - really, really liked it. But I think I've already said it lol

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, J.Spin said:

Wow, those foliage images almost seem unfathomable for NNE with respect to what we’re experiencing over here – I feel like we’ve been in stick season for two weeks now.  You can see PF’s comment, which was about a week ago right there, and it wasn’t as if stick season had just started at that point.  There are certainly still some trees here and there in this area with leaves on them, but those images feel like something from a different world.

I happen to live in a random thicket of Oak and Beech, so it's not totally representative of the area in general.  I took this shot below about a mile away at like 750'.  Hillsides are pretty bare, not full on stick season quite yet, but my woods are probably more anomalous honestly that the bigger picture feel.

20211030_164957_compress10.thumb.jpg.fabce0d62f83259c440b290081d3576b.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tamarack said:

Wxeye and Backedge both.  Our climate here can't be too different from theirs, and while our big oak is only 1/3 shed, the aspens have only have handfulls of leaves remaining and everything else is sticks except a small beech, the other overwinter leaf-clinging species.

I have a freakish Oak that is like 95% green. You can see it in the pic-- weird. It just won't change.

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Had a 39MPH gust on my Davis last night-- highest I've had since I got it in Spring. Sighting is ground level about 4-5ft now.  Have an antenna pole coming this week to roof mount that anemometer. Curious to see if that will make a difference and how much.

Some of those easterly flow wind events should be fun there with that setup!

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Some of those easterly flow wind events should be fun there with that setup!

Yea, for sure. I'm totally cleared out to the east, so pretty unobstructed wind flow. Wonder how accurate Davis anemometer is say compared to ASOS. @dendrite would probably know.  Im sure I've probably been weenieing out and overestimating some wind events since being here, but some are just nuts. We'll see i guess.

56 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Yea, for sure. I'm totally cleared out to the east, so pretty unobstructed wind flow. Wonder how accurate Davis anemometer is say compared to ASOS. @dendrite would probably know.  Im sure I've probably been weenieing out and overestimating some wind events since being here, but some are just nuts. We'll see i guess.

Yeah I've got no idea on those PWS vs. ASOS, that is firmly in Dendy's wheelhouse.  I don't even know to be honest if they are the exact same measurement... is is 1-sec wind speed?  5-sec average?  Instantaneous?  30 or 60 second averages for sustained?  I'm definitely lacking in wind measurement criteria knowledge.

I do think the western slope communities see the highest synoptic wind in the state of VT though, as you know.  From up north in eastern Chittenden/Franklin counties, down through Addison/Rutland and into Bennington counties... the narrow strip of west slope spots do see those legit 50+ gusts from time to time. DDH/RUT/6B0 up to east of BTV.   I know they've recorded even 70+mph in low elevation lee-side locations during the rouge extreme events… when you have those real strong 90+kt H85 low level jets rolling in from the SE and the summits flirt with 100mph.