Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Leaves down.  Just need a little snow to make the glades skiable, ha.  

Still no where near a frost or freeze on the hill... but guess sunlight matters more than temperatures for leaf drop.

9 hours ago, bwt3650 said:

First fake snowstorm on the Gfs tonight…it’s coming!

As we look toward the beginning of next week, that potential intrusion of colder air has been shown on the GFS and other models for quite a while – and flakes are starting to appear in the Mansfield forecast now.  Don’t worry though; the forecasters in the subforum have assured us that the leaves will remain on the trees (I’m sure PF’s picture is “Photoshopped”) and there will be no chances for snow at any elevation anywhere in the Northeast through the end of the month.

15OCT21A.thumb.jpg.893c058a60f54bf65661054ca30f8893.jpg

• Haha 1

https://vtdigger.org/2021/10/15/mount-mansfield-still-hasnt-hit-freezing-temperatures-setting-a-record/

It’s unusually warm on Mount Mansfield this year. Temperatures haven’t yet dropped to 32 degrees or below, surpassing the previous record — Oct. 6, 2011 — for the latest first freeze by more than a week and counting. 

3 hours ago, J.Spin said:

As we look toward the beginning of next week, that potential intrusion of colder air has been shown on the GFS and other models for quite a while – and flakes are starting to appear in the Mansfield forecast now.  Don’t worry though; the forecasters in the subforum have assured us that the leaves will remain on the trees (I’m sure PF’s picture is “Photoshopped”) and there will be no chances for snow at any elevation anywhere in the Northeast through the end of the month.

15OCT21A.thumb.jpg.893c058a60f54bf65661054ca30f8893.jpg

Yeah, it looks like seeing first flakes on the peaks is a real possibility next week.  I looked back to last year and I think the 17th was the first dusting.  It’s hard to believe with how warm it’s been that the timing year over year would actually be fairly close.

5A45CDC4-05F5-49CD-A5FE-FE1C46D26654.jpeg

• Like 1

One year ago today parts of NNE had accumulating snow.  At that time I grabbed this picture from Alex's webcam.  Speaking of that,  I lost your link Alex.  Do you still have a cam up that you can share with the forum?

As for the present, about 1" of rain from the last system.  The foliage is a bit weird.  We were at about 75% peak and then the wind stripped a lot of leaves.  So the oaks are just starting and the rest is a mix of bare, color and some green.  If not for the front we were heading for a nice peak.

121982797_10221205513380280_2855501788046450443_n (1).jpg

4 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

One year ago today parts of NNE had accumulating snow.  At that time I grabbed this picture from Alex's webcam.  Speaking of that,  I lost your link Alex.  Do you still have a cam up that you can share with the forum?

As for the present, about 1" of rain from the last system.  The foliage is a bit weird.  We were at about 75% peak and then the wind stripped a lot of leaves.  So the oaks are just starting and the rest is a mix of bare, color and some green.  If not for the front we were heading for a nice peak.

121982797_10221205513380280_2855501788046450443_n (1).jpg

I was just coming to post about this. We lost power for half the day. It was beautiful while it was snowing. I love how heavy wet snow clings to everything. This year, still waiting for the first hard frost. 

• Like 2

Hello NNE’ers

After looking for a place for almost a year, my wife and I are in the process of purchasing some land in the Adirondacks. It is near Garnet Lake in Warren Co. and has an elevation ranging from 1700’ to 2300’. I know this isn’t New England, but I thought some of you folks might give me an idea of how much snow I can expect on an average winter? Gore Mountain is about 25 minutes away to the north with a similar base elevation. They claim 150” annual, but not sure if that mid-mountain. Super excited to close on this place and start fixing the 1880 house up. 

• Weenie 1

On 10/17/2021 at 2:18 PM, wxeyeNH said:

@wxeyeNH my webcam URL is in my profile, https://video.nest.com/live/vO4cJkQlWY

Sorry, Gene, just saw that message now! :)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Redmorninglight said:

Hello NNE’ers

After looking for a place for almost a year, my wife and I are in the process of purchasing some land in the Adirondacks. It is near Garnet Lake in Warren Co. and has an elevation ranging from 1700’ to 2300’. I know this isn’t New England, but I thought some of you folks might give me an idea of how much snow I can expect on an average winter? Gore Mountain is about 25 minutes away to the north with a similar base elevation. They claim 150” annual, but not sure if that mid-mountain. Super excited to close on this place and start fixing the 1880 house up. 

2K should be good for 130-140”. Depending on wether they score 10-15” annually from any lake effect could put them up to 150”

17 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Sounded like dynamic cooling in they heavy squall got big fat aggregates flying down to that level.  You’d need a strong shower/squall most likely.  All the temps around it plummeted during heavy precip and they rose a bit afterwards again.

Very classic lowering of snow level in heavy precip, then back up as it wanes.  I’m such a nerd/weenie for this stuff… A classic temp graph of strong dynamic cooling… then temps rising again post heavy precip.

E619385D-7C30-4B6E-BE57-4F4C2327DA60.jpeg.3d6cbedebad99ed03c67cd1854e08d52.jpeg

There’s accumulation down to about 2,000ft on the cams. About 500ft above the parking lot aggregates.

3A05AA53-AB22-4554-9A4C-C38F5EE9E4CD.jpeg.f0174b7c35852e4a821a32149d1f1fbc.jpeg

With the cloud level this morning, options to get an idea of the accumulating snow line were limited unless you were actually going to head up to elevation.  The clouds have been rising at times as of midday though, and the snow line seems to be in the 3,000’ – 3,500’ elevation range.  Bolton Mountain at ~3,700’ seems to have a few hundred vertical of snow visible, so that’s been serving as a good reference point.

The views of the new snow have been great, although Mt. Mansfield recently disappeared again as moisture moved in from the northwest and snow began to drop.  It sure looked like snowfall vs. rain, but I checked to see the temperature has been 31-32 F up there along the ridgeline, so it’s certainly snow.

When the leaves are mostly down in the mountains and you see radar like this, it’s definitely starting to feel like the season around here:

19OCT21A.gif.1c2f100490e1844467cc4b91a7ac691f.gif

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

The views of the new snow have been great, although Mt. Mansfield recently disappeared again as moisture moved in from the northwest and snow began to drop.  It sure looked like snowfall vs. rain, but I checked to see the temperature has been 31-32 F up there along the ridgeline, so it’s certainly snow.

Ah… that latest round of snow passed through and Mansfield is visible again:

19OCT21A.jpg.4f53facfbde33f8f75575776b7ff0ef6.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

2K should be good for 130-140”. Depending on wether they score 10-15” annually from any lake effect could put them up to 150”

Thanks for the reply. It’s 140 acres so it might be fun to do some backcountry skiing and boarding on the land. It has some nice dips along logging trails. Just need to clean up the trails from deadfall. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, powderfreak said:

First freeze back home.

Local Stowe CC PWS at 31/31 next door and MVL ASOS at 32/30.

That took a long time to get first 32F.

1B0CADE1-F18F-4311-8FA2-904A653A4359.jpeg.a0469c7b8d5af11ced8e1d28ab259e64.jpeg

This freeze really seemed to happen without much warning – no thanks to the main October discussion thread of course, with the heat obsession dominating the conversation.  It’s also past the end of growing season, so the BTV NWS didn’t have any frost/freeze alerts up.  The calls for no snow or freezes through the entirety month really were horrible though, since we’ve now had both, with another week to go. 

You know it’s a decent freeze in the area though if we get down to 30F at our location, since the warmth of the river and the fog usually protect us for a while.

It looks like the next chance for flakes is actually tomorrow night into Monday per the Mansfield point forecast:

23OCT21A.jpg.c64b7a2c3a3345fd3e13bb3ac851fec6.jpg

• Like 1