• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

Went on an helicopter tour today. So cool! Whitefield down to Cannon/Lafayette, through Franconia Notch and over Loon, then over to Bretton Woods, Mt Washington /Jefferson and back over to Whitefield. Highest elevations are starting to show brown/bare, but great foliage otherwise. Not that you could tell from my cell phone pictures lol

94CBC468-CD42-43EC-B29D-D7B1A9F84E13.jpeg

0C629A49-06ED-4DD9-B8C6-87DAA4787A59.jpeg

C75C6A46-AE3D-48AD-9605-8EE27FDF5FD4.jpeg

5312FBF2-EAB5-4AFF-81A1-49EC167BD5A2.jpeg

6F55BC01-BFB4-4EA3-9D5E-855B9E863870.jpeg

• Like 9

I had a hospital stay Monday morning thru mid-afternoon yesterday and when I checked the garden today I noted that the cukes had been frostbit.  They're the most sensitive plants out there but the temp never got below 37 while I was elsewhere.  Odd that they suffered no damage on 9/29 when the low was 34.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

I had a hospital stay Monday morning thru mid-afternoon yesterday and when I checked the garden today I noted that the cukes had been frostbit.  They're the most sensitive plants out there but the temp never got below 37 while I was elsewhere.  Odd that they suffered no damage on 9/29 when the low was 34.

Tamarack,

Hope you are feeling better.

I wonder if there has been studies of temperature differences just in the first 3 feet above the ground?  Maybe it drops off so much that a 37 at 2 m can be a 31 a couple of inches off the ground.  That is what had to have happened.

4 hours ago, alex said:

Went on an helicopter tour today. So cool! Whitefield down to Cannon/Lafayette, through Franconia Notch and over Loon, then over to Bretton Woods, Mt Washington /Jefferson and back over to Whitefield. Highest elevations are starting to show brown/bare, but great foliage otherwise. Not that you could tell from my cell phone pictures lol

94CBC468-CD42-43EC-B29D-D7B1A9F84E13.jpeg

0C629A49-06ED-4DD9-B8C6-87DAA4787A59.jpeg

C75C6A46-AE3D-48AD-9605-8EE27FDF5FD4.jpeg

5312FBF2-EAB5-4AFF-81A1-49EC167BD5A2.jpeg

6F55BC01-BFB4-4EA3-9D5E-855B9E863870.jpeg

That's incredibly cool.  I've only flown in a helicopter once over Mansfield while taking photos for marketing.  It's such an awesome way to see the sights.  I hope I get another chance some day to go up in one.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tamarack said:

15 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Tamarack,

I wonder if there has been studies of temperature differences just in the first 3 feet above the ground?  Maybe it drops off so much that a 37 at 2 m can be a 31 a couple of inches off the ground.  That is what had to have happened.

Agreed, I hope all is well

16 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Tamarack,

Thanks.  I have an A-fib issue that put me in the hospital in Jan 2018 and it's returning.  The real fun Monday morning is when my pulse dropped to 25 and things began to happen fast.  Ended up losing the 2 BP meds that slowed the heartbeat, and a 14-day monitoring patch that records each heartbeat then gets sent away for interpretation.  Because flipping the canoe, something I've never done accidentally, would wreck the monitor, I can't take advantage of all these bright warm low-wind days when I just know the fish will be biting.  Also indefinitely postposed our grandkid-visit trip to SNJ.

When we had the heat pump installed last November I had to relocate my max-min as it was close to the exhaust from the new machine.  The ~10 foot move was from the NW side of the chimney to the SW side, putting the instrument about 2 feet higher in elevation and more exposed to sunlight, for which I've added some extra screening.  Winter temps seemed a degree or 2 less cold in the new location (thermometer is only 3 feet from the woodstove side of chimney though below the thimble), especially the minima, and for all seasons but winter there's sometimes a false max about 11 AM on sunny days that will be 2-3° above the true max later in the day.  We're coping and my data is unofficial anyway.  This overly long paragraph is my way to illustrate how minor differences in location can be surprisingly different in temps.

• Sad 2

13 hours ago, powderfreak said:

That's incredibly cool.  I've only flown in a helicopter once over Mansfield while taking photos for marketing.  It's such an awesome way to see the sights.  I hope I get another chance some day to go up in one.

Very true, though after about 2 hours in a 'copter my brain get overload from all the visual info. 
My wife and then 3-year-old son flew before I did, on a NJ trip while we lived in BGR, though my catch-up flight was more fun.  On Jan 13, 1976, my 7th day on my first forester job, I accompanied 2 other Seven Islands Land Company foresters (and the pilot!) on a Bell Jet Ranger flight to examine some deeryards from above.  It was -37 that day and the ship, which had been kept warm while sleeping at its home base in Greenville, had to stay running as we refueled.  That day I learned 2 things beyond seeing the woods we managed in such a wonderful way.  First, rotor wash is some cold when it's in the -30s.  Second, the outside temp popped up 15+ degrees within 10 seconds of lift-off, in the first 500 feet of climb.  Later I would see that inversion clearly when commuting from our back settlement home to the office, about 450' lower elevation.  If the smoke from the cedar mill cone burner across the river in New Brunswick included a distinct layer about 100 yards or so above ground, the temp at the office would be 10-15° colder than at home.

And the Jet Ranger was great but my one flight on the little Bell X-47, also about deeryards, was even better.  Watching the forest zoom by between my feet was a memorable experience.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Thanks.  I have an A-fib issue that put me in the hospital in Jan 2018 and it's returning.  The real fun Monday morning is when my pulse dropped to 25 and things began to happen fast.  Ended up losing the 2 BP meds that slowed the heartbeat, and a 14-day monitoring patch that records each heartbeat then gets sent away for interpretation.  Because flipping the canoe, something I've never done accidentally, would wreck the monitor, I can't take advantage of all these bright warm low-wind days when I just know the fish will be biting.  Also indefinitely postposed our grandkid-visit trip to SNJ.

When we had the heat pump installed last November I had to relocate my max-min as it was close to the exhaust from the new machine.  The ~10 foot move was from the NW side of the chimney to the SW side, putting the instrument about 2 feet higher in elevation and more exposed to sunlight, for which I've added some extra screening.  Winter temps seemed a degree or 2 less cold in the new location (thermometer is only 3 feet from the woodstove side of chimney though below the thimble), especially the minima, and for all seasons but winter there's sometimes a false max about 11 AM on sunny days that will be 2-3° above the true max later in the day.  We're coping and my data is unofficial anyway.  This overly long paragraph is my way to illustrate how minor differences in location can be surprisingly different in temps.

Hope you remain well for a long time to come, Tamarack. Your insights on NNE climo and forestry topics are always on point and helpful. :)  

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Hope you feel better bud. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Feel better.  Love hearing your historical insight into that Maine climate.

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Eek. Get better soon!

16 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I’ve done a few times - Grand Canyon, Hawaii and now here. Always very very cool (also, I always think I will most likely die lol - they look like death traps to me. But I still love it )

27 minutes ago, alex said:

I’ve done a few times - Grand Canyon, Hawaii and now here. Always very very cool (also, I always think I will most likely die lol - they look like death traps to me. But I still love it )

It's actually a really odd sensation taking off. I'm used to flying on a plane, but a vertical take off felt really strange (Maui to Molokai).

Tried to do a second flight when I bought my wife a surprise tour on our honeymoon (below) but they cancelled on us because one of their helicopters was down for maintenance.

39ec99e98bc858d5f1d515b9769e7197.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

Good afternoon t. It will take more than that to take  a solid Mainer out. Thank the fates just the same. I’m a relatively healthy 74 year oldster and enjoy power walking. No medication and no heart issues. On May first I came home from a several mile inner city walk and didn’t feel quite right. I did the natural our gender thing and figured I’d lay down and sleep it off. The only reason I’m posting this now is because I decided to call my children and ask if one of them could come with me to the local urgent care. My daughter said “sure” and immediately called 991. Next thing I know, my two sons in law our at the foot of my bed and my daughter is on the bed with me. The doorbell is ringing and two magnificent NYCFD EMT’s are hooking me up. They looked at the reading and started working faster. At that point I could barely talk and was gasping. The EMT’s kept talking to me and explained they were going to inject a drug into me and I should feel better. After I did feel better they told me what it was. It was a new drug that stops and restarts your heart, like rebooting a computer. It worked, I felt great, yet I still had to go to the hospital. There I was told by an electro cardiologist that I could be on medication for the rest of my life or undergo a curative treatment called catheter ablation. Easy choice for me. Five day later I was out and no medication needed. My primary and the drug companies are still annoyed at that. I was back to power walking by May 10th and haven’t looked back. Sorry for the long winded tale but it is a skill of mine. Happy again at your recovery. As always …

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, rclab said:

Good afternoon t. It will take more than that to take  a solid Mainer out. Thank the fates just the same. I’m a relatively healthy 74 year oldster and enjoy power walking. No medication and no heart issues. On May first I came home from a several mile inner city walk and didn’t feel quite right. I did the natural our gender thing and figured I’d lay down and sleep it off. The only reason I’m posting this now is because I decided to call my children and ask if one of them could come with me to the local urgent care. My daughter said “sure” and immediately called 991. Next thing I know, my two sons in law our at the foot of my bed and my daughter is on the bed with me. The doorbell is ringing and two magnificent NYCFD EMT’s are hooking me up. They looked at the reading and started working faster. At that point I could barely talk and was gasping. The EMT’s kept talking to me and explained they were going to inject a drug into me and I should feel better. After I did feel better they told me what it was. It was a new drug that stops and restarts your heart, like rebooting a computer. It worked, I felt great, yet I still had to go to the hospital. There I was told by an electro cardiologist that I could be on medication for the rest of my life or undergo a curative treatment called catheter ablation. Easy choice for me. Five day later I was out and no medication needed. My primary and the drug companies are still annoyed at that. I was back to power walking by May 10th and haven’t looked back. Sorry for the long winded tale but it is a skill of mine. Happy again at your recovery. As always …

Damn, that is a story for sure. My suggestion would be next time make sure the kids dial 911 instead, but you are lucky the number they dialed still got through to a couple of strong local bubbas with medical training. :) 

In all seriousness, glad you got it sorted out and knew when to call for help.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, tamarack said:

As others have said, Get well Tom, We need your insight here...........:)

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

It's actually a really odd sensation taking off. I'm used to flying on a plane, but a vertical take off felt really strange (Maui to Molokai).

Tried to do a second flight when I bought my wife a surprise tour on our honeymoon (below) but they cancelled on us because one of their helicopters was down for maintenance.

39ec99e98bc858d5f1d515b9769e7197.jpg

The oddest thing I found with helicopters is how they react to turbulence.  Much less up and down or bumpiness, but more tail-wagging.  I've hit my head on the ceiling of a light airplane in turbulence (yes I was tightly belted in) and have been on the edge of nausea, but not even close to that in rotorcraft.

15 hours ago, tamarack said:

The oddest thing I found with helicopters is how they react to turbulence.  Much less up and down or bumpiness, but more tail-wagging.  I've hit my head on the ceiling of a light airplane in turbulence (yes I was tightly belted in) and have been on the edge of nausea, but not even close to that in rotorcraft.

Yeah, once we were moving horizontal it was a very smooth ride, but the takeoff threw my stomach for a loop. For a split second I was worried I was going to be one of those people grabbing the barf bag. 

We don't toss.

15403642_10103515827096115_3976376418150

• Like 1

13 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Yeah, once we were moving horizontal it was a very smooth ride, but the takeoff threw my stomach for a loop. For a split second I was worried I was going to be one of those people grabbing the barf bag. 

We don't toss.

15403642_10103515827096115_3976376418150

That looks weeks away from peak. 

Moving past peak.  It's now the much more uniform orange color that signifies the back end of foliage.  A couple reds holding on but by and large the reds are now in the lower elevations/valley.

Above 2,500ft there's a lot of bare trees (for reference this photo was taken at 2,500ft looking straight out).  Best variety of color is down near 1,500ft and down into town.

2L8A2243-1-2.thumb.jpg.84bc9b46d63911b135180e3a39635e71.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/8/2021 at 2:56 PM, rclab said:

Glad you are better. Quite the story.

• Thanks 1

On 10/8/2021 at 5:05 PM, tamarack said:

Glad you are feeling better Tom. Slow  it down for awhile. 

• Like 1