Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

44 minutes ago, alex said:

I'm down in Nashua to pick up a new car (electric, yeyyy!) and it's pretty cool to see the difference. Franconia Notch seems to be where a tight foliage gradient starts. Great color north of the notch. Not much in the Notch - but then again, it's a lot of beech there so I never find it that great, and pretty much nothing just south of it, although it has that "ready to go" color. Also it feels like summer down here! And of course, we left dreary drizzly weather to find sunshine as soon as we were past the notch. 

It’s amazing you even found a vehicle. 

26 minutes ago, tamarack said:

September 2021 wx

Avg temp:  58.57    +1.79
Avg max:    67.57    -0.43   High: 76 on the 18th, ties with several other years for least warm Sept high
Avg.min:     49.57   +4.01   Low:  34 on the 29th, mildest Sept low and 2nd Sept (of 24) w/o a frost.
The 18.00 avg diurnal range is the smallest for Sept. and the 3rd month this year setting a new smallest range, along with July and January.

Precip:  5.13"    +1.52"   Greatest calendar day:  0.85" on the 15th.  9-10 total rom Ida was 1.50".
YTD:  28.52"    -5.88"    83% of average.

I had no 30s this month and there's none in sight. I wonder if this would be the latest 30s on record here assuming we get to at least 10/10 without any.

Sep numbers for Randolph:

57.6 avg temp

High mark of 78.3

Low mark of 36.6

I’ll use the coop number for precip because I wasn’t here much of the month:

4.41”

Pretty blah month all around.

I have been observing fairly tight gradients here between high and low temps for a while. It happened for months straight last winter. The temp was stuck between 15-25 for weeks on end, irrespective of any fronts coming through.

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

I have been observing fairly tight gradients here between high and low temps for a while. It happened for months straight last winter. The temp was stuck between 15-25 for weeks on end, irrespective of any fronts coming through.

Have had a lot of that lately here too.  Normally this time of year we get some of those days with monster 40 to even 45 degree diurnal swings.  Where it's like 30F in the morning and 70F in the afternoon... the temperature is always either going upward or downward during the day, never steady.  This month has been mild minimums but the daytimes aren't really high either.  Just like normal high temps but well above normal minimum temps.  Low diurnal spreads.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

I had no 30s this month and there's none in sight. I wonder if this would be the latest 30s on record here assuming we get to at least 10/10 without any.

Only previous September without a frost was 2011, and it broke the schneid with 25° on 10/6.  I don't think we'll have a frost until several days beyond that date.

36 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Have had a lot of that lately here too.  Normally this time of year we get some of those days with monster 40 to even 45 degree diurnal swings.  Where it's like 30F in the morning and 70F in the afternoon... the temperature is always either going upward or downward during the day, never steady.  This month has been mild minimums but the daytimes aren't really high either.  Just like normal high temps but well above normal minimum temps.  Low diurnal spreads.

Yeah, it’s not like I am torching during the day here. Just a tight range. I actually didn’t mind it in the winter. It made the snowpack very consistent. I feel like my spot is just a little less susceptible to big swings in either direction due to being a mid-slope setup. I mostly never get those radiator mornings like Alex does where it starts out at 35 and shoots up to 63 very quickly. I would go from 45 to 57 in that scenario. 

19 hours ago, tamarack said:

Only previous September without a frost was 2011, and it broke the schneid with 25° on 10/6.  I don't think we'll have a frost until several days beyond that date.

Was upper 30s by 10 last evening with bright stars above, so a frost seemed on the way.  Mid 40s with sprinkles this morning.  I think our first frost here comes a week or more down the road while we're visiting grandkids in SNJ.

On 10/1/2021 at 10:18 AM, alex said:

I'm down in Nashua to pick up a new car (electric, yeyyy!) and it's pretty cool to see the difference. Franconia Notch seems to be where a tight foliage gradient starts. Great color north of the notch. Not much in the Notch - but then again, it's a lot of beech there so I never find it that great, and pretty much nothing just south of it, although it has that "ready to go" color. Also it feels like summer down here! And of course, we left dreary drizzly weather to find sunshine as soon as we were past the notch. 

Alex,  that is so cool with the electric.  last fall I traded in my Prius for the RAV4prime electric plug in.  i have been getting 50 miles total electric before it switches to hybrid.  It is all wheel drive and that is what I need.  I want the F150 lightning electric coming out in the spring.

Weatherwise has anyone had a frost yet?  Looking forward there doesn't look like any frost chances next week.  It's getting unusually late.  Does anyone know what the latest frost date has been for most of NNE?

Brian,  thanks for the DOT feedback.  I wish they would add a cam to that site.

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

Alex,  that is so cool with the electric.  last fall I traded in my Prius for the RAV4prime electric plug in.  i have been getting 50 miles total electric before it switches to hybrid.  It is all wheel drive and that is what I need.  I want the F150 lightning electric coming out in the spring.

Weatherwise has anyone had a frost yet?  Looking forward there doesn't look like any frost chances next week.  It's getting unusually late.  Does anyone know what the latest frost date has been for most of NNE?

Brian,  thanks for the DOT feedback.  I wish they would add a cam to that site.

Yes really happy with it so far! Got the Tesla Y. 

We did get our first frost a couple of days ago, on a low of 31.5. But I really don't mind prolonging the warm weather for a bit! Cold before Halloween is useless. :)

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Cold season must be coming.  The J.Spin and Winooski Valley convergence zone has fired up.

9DEDDC29-B43D-42DE-BDE6-82F4146E3F7F.jpeg.0348561ac4db1a1b23810d668ed1c6de.jpeg

It seems like it’s been pouring for hours, so I happened to check the radar and immediately LOLed at what I saw.  That flow is shooting right through the Winooski gap in the spine as we often see.  It’s actually felt quite raw today, almost like one of those days where it’s pouring in the valleys, but you can pop up to the hill for some fresh turns because it’s pounding at elevation.  The temperatures aren’t actually down at those levels yet, but it sort of feels that way because we’re somewhat acclimated to warm season temps.  It’s October though, so it could happen literally any day now.

02OCT21A.gif.0389f35f2bb0cba0de94ae6550c0d953.gif

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

It seems like it’s been pouring for hours, so I happened to check the radar and immediately LOLed at what I saw.  That flow is shooting right through the Winooski gap in the spine as we often see.  It’s actually felt quite raw today, almost like one of those days where it’s pouring in the valleys, but you can pop up to the hill for some fresh turns because it’s pounding at elevation.  The temperatures aren’t actually down at those levels yet, but it sort of feels that way because we’re somewhat acclimated to warm season temps.  It’s October though, so it could happen literally any day now.

02OCT21A.gif.0389f35f2bb0cba0de94ae6550c0d953.gif

I just laugh because the radar looks like one of those evening mesoscale things where you are seeing 30-35dbz 2-3”/hr snowfall down the gap/valley there.

The times CoCoRAHS has 1-3” snows around and you’ve got that spot 8”.

I used to think it was luck, but there is without a doubt something about streamers lining up through the Winooski/I-89 slot there… squeezing converging moisture through a gap like a toothpaste tube.

A little while ago I had 0.70” in the Stratus but your area should be over 1.00” tonight if not already.

Foliage is around 10-15% here but the pace is just starting to pickup.

I may of asked this question but does anyone know the latest date into the fall that NNE has gone frost free?  Usually frosts come in drips and drabs depending on location so it is not something kept in the record books.  It looks like no frosts in the next week or more.  When it comes it could be one large region wide event from the Canadian border to the seacoast.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out since there is no other weather going on.  Just COC weather on and on....

On 10/5/2021 at 10:47 AM, wxeyeNH said:

Here is precip for the past 60 days.  The haves and have nots...  I'm in that light green that goes through central areas.

precip.jpg

After I saw the map, I checked the CoCoRaHS liquid data for our site to see if what was plotted was a good representation for our area.  We’re right in that strip of yellow along the spine of the Central/Northern Greens (specifically on the county line right where it bumps out above the “M” in Montpelier).  That yellow shading represents the 8-10” range for liquid, and our data indicate 9.00” on the nose for that period at our site, so for that spot check, the map looks right on.

That’s probably about average rainfall for our site during that period.  A total of ~9” for that roughly two-month stretch would equate to ~54” for a year, which is just about what we seem to have for our annual liquid average.  We do have some rainfall peaks in our data in June and October, but what we saw over those 60 days would certainly be an average representation on an annual scale.

On 10/6/2021 at 1:32 PM, wxeyeNH said:

Foliage is around 10-15% here but the pace is just starting to pickup.

I may of asked this question but does anyone know the latest date into the fall that NNE has gone frost free?  Usually frosts come in drips and drabs depending on location so it is not something kept in the record books.  It looks like no frosts in the next week or more.  When it comes it could be one large region wide event from the Canadian border to the seacoast.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out since there is no other weather going on.  Just COC weather on and on....

That gradient seems intense. It's not like the weather near the notch has been 20 degrees colder compared to where you are. It must be the species of trees too.

15 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Nice to see some blue skies today!

2L8A2048-1.thumb.jpg.6377f23323893d064ef4056566d12d83.jpg

That view is probably going to be incredible when the leaves start to change to some autumn colors.  I heard everything across the region (or is that country?) is unquestionably 2 to 3 weeks behind average pace, case closed, mic drop, peace out, greatest ever, sliced bread, etc., etc., etc.  Fall foliage in that elevation range should be stellar by the end of the month when the colors finally start to pick up.

yellowfallingleaves.jpg.827f4456360d838a9c3913cef96cec0d.jpg

• Haha 2