• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

Hopefully Phin starting this thread brings the goods!  No pressure bud, ha.

Should at the very least get some rime icing above 4,500-5,000ft in the Adirondacks and Presidentials.  18z NAM came in warmer at 850mb so I doubt it’ll get low enough for the Greens.

First snow shower obs of the season on MWN at 11:51am today.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, alex said:

Feels very upslopey out there. Was in Jackson for dinner, dry there and through most of the notch, then some moderate rain from the top of the notch to just before the Mt Washington Hotel, and more of a heavy drizzle from there to home. Similar pattern to the winter upslope. 

Yep, had the feel the last few days. This would have been a really nice stretch if it was February. Big dump and then upslope all week.

14 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

Let's see what all this wasp/yellow jacket action translates to...

Big big winter??? ;)

Don't know how September yellowjackets relate to winter severity, but in 2 consecutive Fort Kent winters the old "height from ground of hornet nests = height of snowpack" theory was refuted.  Nests in 1982 were all 6-12 feet high and that was followed by the January when snow cover dropped to a single icy inch and winter's 24" max depth was lowest of my 10 winters there.  In summer 1983 all the nests I saw were 6-24" off the ground, low enough to be destroyed by skunk attack. The following winter not only had the biggest snowfall of my experience (26.5") but was the only one in which pack exceeded my 61" snow stake. 
(In late summer 1984 I saw a huge hornet nest that probably started at 7-8 feet in a yellow birch sapling but had bent the tree over to the point where the nest was about waist high.  Not sure what that might mean. :lol: )

• Like 1

Can tell the cold season is coming.... there's some upslope precipitation into the Greens (this low level scan doesn't show that as well) but there's a Lake Champlain band that's been going south of the lake right down RT 7 in the valley.

That cold north wind is enough to produce squally weather there in the flats SSE of the water.

WUNIDS_map.gif.188572fe61e2d2cf70384251f569fbf8.gif

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Plym/NHDOT have a few more RWIS sites up. One is in Phin's area in Jefferson around 1400'. Ossipee will be another good one.

Brian,   I just went on the PSU site to check.  I see the new Littleton one but not in Jefferson.  Am I missing it somehow?   Do you have the link you use?

7 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Brian,   I just went on the PSU site to check.  I see the new Littleton one but not in Jefferson.  Am I missing it somehow?   Do you have the link you use?

It's alphabetized under "R"...rt 115 Jefferson. The temp isn't uploading yet. Looks like the data started coming online yesterday.

https://vortex.plymouth.edu/mapwall/cgi-bin/display_rwis.php?id=all

Frozen precip reported a half hour ago at the top of the mountain and we just had a burst of small hail or graupel at 1,500ft.

I mean we are really reaching but it was frozen.  The marginal cold pool aloft bringing down icy cores.

I think it's more hail than graupel given max daytime heating and the radar signature.

1759328773_Sept30a.jpg.c2dfab5694f96a00b8e28860082648b0.jpg

804501031_Sept30b.jpg.a903105d850edfce1667f46a69fd1af8.jpg

WUNIDS_map (2).gif

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dendrite said:

It's alphabetized under "R"...rt 115 Jefferson. The temp isn't uploading yet. Looks like the data started coming online yesterday.

https://vortex.plymouth.edu/mapwall/cgi-bin/display_rwis.php?id=all

Temp is updating now.

https://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base_dyn.cgi?stn=022NH&time=GMT

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Thanks for posting this. That area has always been a bit of a debate topic on these boards. On paper, it looks like a good spot for upslope, but Alex and I have both noticed the snow just seems to taper off there for whatever reason before picking back up in Randolph. I see it all the time as I drive that route several times a week.

9 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Can already see it on satellite down most of the northern Connecticut River Valley. That's pretty early in the night for that.

Dew points were low to mid 40s today it looked like.  Very shallow cool air on the PWS map… several 41s locally in like the 750ft elevation area but then it’s 45-46F even by like 1,000-1,200ft.  Summits around here upper 30s to low 40s.

We’ll probably rot 39-42F the rest of the way tonight.  Can usually radiate a bit below MMNV1’s summit temp this time of year… yielding upper 30s low locally if that forecast trick works out.  I saw MVL already had 1/4sm visibility in fog… nothing like that yet here but can see suspended droplets in the lights when letting the dog out before bed.

I'm down in Nashua to pick up a new car (electric, yeyyy!) and it's pretty cool to see the difference. Franconia Notch seems to be where a tight foliage gradient starts. Great color north of the notch. Not much in the Notch - but then again, it's a lot of beech there so I never find it that great, and pretty much nothing just south of it, although it has that "ready to go" color. Also it feels like summer down here! And of course, we left dreary drizzly weather to find sunshine as soon as we were past the notch. 

11 minutes ago, alex said:

I'm down in Nashua to pick up a new car (electric, yeyyy!) and it's pretty cool to see the difference. Franconia Notch seems to be where a tight foliage gradient starts. Great color north of the notch. Not much in the Notch - but then again, it's a lot of beech there so I never find it that great, and pretty much nothing just south of it, although it has that "ready to go" color. Also it feels like summer down here! And of course, we left dreary drizzly weather to find sunshine as soon as we were past the notch. 

ASH was cooler than you this morning with the rad cooling right through sunrise. ;)

Congrats on the electric car. Now we just need to find a way to recycle the batteries.

September 2021 wx

Avg temp:  58.57    +1.79
Avg max:    67.57    -0.43   High: 76 on the 18th, ties with several other years for least warm Sept high
Avg.min:     49.57   +4.01   Low:  34 on the 29th, mildest Sept low and 2nd Sept (of 24) w/o a frost.
The 18.00 avg diurnal range is the smallest for Sept. and the 3rd month this year setting a new smallest range, along with July and January.

Precip:  5.13"    +1.52"   Greatest calendar day:  0.85" on the 15th.  9-10 total rom Ida was 1.50".
YTD:  28.52"    -5.88"    83% of average.