Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October Discussion: Bring the Frost-Hold the Snow

40/70 Benchmark

7 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Wild applause for using a median and not just a mean.  That provides so much more context to what's being depicted.

Now if we can start using SD, people will stop thinking that "normal" and "average" are the same thing.......

I only use the median when it shows a more exciting number. ;)

But yes, in this case it tells a lot about last evening's model runs when compared to the mean. 

41 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

We may stay green until NYD. 

4E2E9D96-B5C2-4436-904B-B5555EE0B548.jpeg

That's wild, ha.

We are in that phase that I think Will has described as the nuclear fallout time of year... aka stick season.  But man when it starts to rain tomorrow and the week looks wet on the whole, it starts to take on that dreary, leafless, brown, dead, wet look of how they portray western Russia in movies.  Gray, dark, dead.  I forget the exact terminology of it, but we are there ha.

1 hour ago, NorEastermass128 said:

We may stay green until NYD. 

4E2E9D96-B5C2-4436-904B-B5555EE0B548.jpeg

I volunteer for the local land trust doing trail maintenance and was working on this shoreline property yesterday. I was talking to a local 83 year old retired Yale professor of plant biology. He said he has never seen anything like this. We were in a swamp and he said it looked like spring. Skunk cabbage and all other species of plants that normally sprout early spring were sprouting again. Everything is still pretty much green here. 

20211023-142651.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

That's wild, ha.

We are in that phase that I think Will has described as the nuclear fallout time of year... aka stick season.  But man when it starts to rain tomorrow and the week looks wet on the whole, it starts to take on that dreary, leafless, brown, dead, wet look of how they portray western Russia in movies.  Gray, dark, dead.  I forget the exact terminology of it, but we are there ha.

No sun no leaves no snow November 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Don't get me wrong.....there's value in knowing the mean, but to view that as the sole arbiter of 'normal' would be problematic.  If you did, very few days would be "normal".  The vast majority would be either above or below.

"Normal" weather is merely the average of abnormal weather.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, weathafella said:

Once you hit a hard freeze the leaves shrivel and drop quickly even when green.

There's a moment when that occurs, just past dawn ... very fleeting. It only happens once if ever in a given autumn.  This year.. not yet so far.

The antecedent days features less wind.  Then, a hyper efficient radiator night takes place... 

Decoupled and dead calm, it's 24 by dawn ... You step out side and the only thing you hear ...other than the distant white noise of arising society, is the flicking sound of the cold-air dead-fall just raining down.  It's best if yellows and saffrons of orange and red hues, but this will do this with any stage, too. 

In some sense of a more discrete cause for this: maybe moisture in the leaf stems freezes, and as such ... it expands 12% with phase change.  That expansion at last severs the last of any fibers that were fixing the leaf stem to twig, and so the leaf cuts lose.   You can tell later that afternoon if this occurred, because you can see the old layer of dullard-colored leaf fall underneath a dappling of leafs still having their eye-pop. 

It's like a built in guarantee to deleaf the foliage, should the winds of autumn seldom return that year.  

• Like 3