Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October Discussion: Bring the Frost-Hold the Snow

40/70 Benchmark

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yep there's a bunch of places you can move up there where it's a total wasteland for amenities. Most VT ski towns are pretty well supplied with them though whether it's Kmart, Stowe, or even Ludlow. NH can be a bit more sparse even near the ski resorts, but the White Mts aren't bad near Phin because of proximity to Berlin and Conway.

Yeah, there is actually less stuff nearby where Alex is than where I am. The immediate Bretton Woods zone has not developed at all. It's even more dead than I remember, which is not what you'd expect. Down 302 is some stuff in Bethlehem, of course. One thing NH lacks is the classic ski village. Can't deny that.

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Seems like it. Instead bags full of 8-10” of water and candy water damaged  Kids coming home with basically bags of diarrhea 

I remember the perfect storm ruining Halloween for my 3 kids. Soaked costumes saved by a huge interior party for the kids at a senior center hall, all the neighbors brought their candy.  It was actually pretty cool how we all came together. 

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah there are a lot like it though.  Even where you go near Winni I bet has tons of places to eat/go out, etc.  Sugarbush area, Killington, Conway, Bethel Me, etc.

Well definitely right near those areas...but even at Winni, you go 5+ miles outside the lake and it's "you got a perrty mouth" type stuff. 

13 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, there is actually less stuff nearby where Alex is than where I am. The immediate Bretton Woods zone has not developed at all. It's even more dead than I remember, which is not what you'd expect. Down 302 is some stuff in Bethlehem, of course. One thing NH lacks is the classic ski village. Can't deny that.

Yeah the closest thing to a ski village there in NH is probably North Conway at the base of Cranmore. Lincoln at the base of Loon can maybe be included too....but they aren't quite up to the levels of VT ski villages.

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

I can't comment on Mass, but my spot actually has more stores and restaurants within close distance than my MD house, which is in a complete cultural wasteland. Nothing but fast food and chains with zero soul. My wife was very pleasantly surprised to learn that.

If I was up in Colebrook or someplace like that I could definitely see getting some cabin fever. It's a really depressed area up there.

Omg, that sentence just eloquently and succinctly describes the entire span on the other side of the Chesapeake Bay, too.  I don't know why Delaware actually needs to exist, frankly.  I think it's it pull yanks over to harass them for fun.  

Yes...known as the Delaware spirit abyss ( ..the Eastern Shore to locals), if one ever has to drive that dreaded 230 miles between I-95 down to the Chesapeake Bridge-Tunnel, you'll know this agony.  The only redeeming interlude along that eternal distance is ... maaaybe Dover. With a truly visionary and enlightening Barnes&Nobles and Au Bon Pains, mashed up with locally favorite prideful retail, it's a 'real up and comer cutting edge cultural destination'.  Heh.  Otherwise, Dover is long lights servicing some 10 contiguous miles of parking lots that astride the 8 lane-widened Rt 1 boulevard as it cuts through town.  You know..I think it may be possible to start at one end ... and use the internal connectors between parking lots and make the entire distance having never actually been on the boulevard there... (there's always that to think about to pass the time)

Why?   omg - 

Then almost immediately upon escaping Dover, heading south on Rt 1, narrows down to 2 lanes and becomes just an unforgiving eternity. I swear, the Earth is 25,000 miles in circumference ...  that 180 miles between Dover the rest of the way to Bridge-Tunnel goes around that distance 2wice!  I'm convinced of it. It's  a flat expanses that repeats cycling through abandoned farmsteads that are slowly being annexed by single story strip malls that just look tired and sleepy and futile from the road as you try not to look, zipping past 20 mph over the speed limit ...anything, to not admit you are there because it's creepily vapid - almost ineffably so.  You can just feel the insular energy there, as though the fish-denizens have no idea there's a universe out side the glass at either ends.

Although Lil' Miss Eliot hails from that region - I am told - and really like her dirty-ass rap song ... so she's okay I guess.

My sister lives in Va Beach. ..  Funny thing is, I once missed the Rt 1 exit off I-95 just over the Del Mem Bridge that one time, as I hadn't driven the trek in 12 years - it's kind of a tricky nexus... You have to really look for it after slipping through the bridge's exit tolls or you may miss.  That time, I'm looking for it and instead start seeing exit numbers of Washington D.C.  ... oh no!   Turns out, it wasn't that bad, though.  Even Maryland Staties were doin' 90 mph with a single arm draped languid over their wheels while texting ... As long as demography was tacking in a 88, perhaps that didn't offer these guys any challenges that triggered primal contest with authority, so they left us alone.   I actually got all the way down to the junction of 74 E, in Va, in just 8 total hours, and it was only another 1.5 ~ to pass by the Norfolk Naval Base.   It made me wonder why I was ever talked into doing the Del Marva route by family back in the day - never thought to challenge.  

The Bridge-Tunnel is fascinating, and that's why.  They were talking about it as a fun ride. And it is.  It's 29 miles of road that as you approach it from the Del Marv side, it looks serpentine like Asian dragon art, as it lurches out of the water, and then descends out of sight beneath the gray plain of the Bay (presumably - one hopes -  as it goes into tunnels).  There are two over water expanses and two tunnels; the latter allows the mariner traffic ...both military and commercial industrial. Talking 3 football field-long cargo 'islands' so massive that at 20 kts they look like they are standing still on the Bay horizon, and if you time lucky, an actual WMD known as Air Craft Carrier en route to the Naval base.  I mean, your driving 30 feet over the water out in the middle of the ocean, then you go ... under the ocean.  It's pretty cool.  But, 15 min later your breaching the opposite shore having not drowned in a catastrophic failure of engineering or tsunamis..  

So, it's now bit of decision upon exiting the Del Mem Bridge: Do I set myself up for two anxiety-loaded sessions with my analyst, enduring so for to experience Bridge-Tunnel.   My biggest fear is that fractal reality strikes when I'm passing through, and then I wake up one morning 20 years later in a state of rationalization that, "I guess it wasn't so bad how that happened and I ended up here."

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Well definitely right near those areas...but even at Winni, you go 5+ miles outside the lake and it's "you got a perrty mouth" type stuff. 

And since I am a fair person, you can find the same in rural plymouth county. Ray's favorite bog areas are very very rural. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Once you are west of Winni into the monads, it might as well be the fooking Allagash. Same thing once you are north of Berlin. There isn't much between Ossipee and Dover/Rochester NH either, though it's not as bad as those western areas of the state.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I can't comment on Mass, but my spot actually has more stores and restaurants within close distance than my MD house, which is in a complete cultural wasteland. Nothing but fast food and chains with zero soul. My wife was very pleasantly surprised to learn that.

If I was up in Colebrook or someplace like that I could definitely see getting some cabin fever. It's a really depressed area up there.

You have to remember Scooter is city spoiled.  If he can't walk to the store or drive 5 minutes it's the boonies. 

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Omg, that sentence just eloquently and succinctly describes the entire span on the other side of the Chesapeake Bay, too.  I don't know why Delaware actually needs to exist, frankly.  I think it's it pull yanks over to harass them for fun.  

Yes...known as the Delaware spirit abyss ( ..the Eastern Shore to locals), if one ever has to drive that dreaded 230 miles between I-95 down to the Chesapeake Bridge-Tunnel, you'll know this agony.  The only redeeming interlude along that eternal distance is ... maaaybe Dover. With a truly visionary and enlightening Barnes&Nobles and Au Bon Pains, mashed up with locally favorite prideful retail, it's a 'real up and comer cutting edge cultural destination'.  Heh.  Otherwise, Dover is long lights servicing some 10 contiguous miles of parking lots that astride the 8 lane-widened Rt 1 boulevard as it cuts through town.  You know..I think it may be possible to start at one end ... and use the internal connectors between parking lots and make the entire distance having never actually been on the boulevard there... (there's always that to think about to pass the time)

Why?   omg - 

Then almost immediately upon escaping Dover, heading south on Rt 1, narrows down to 2 lanes and becomes just an unforgiving eternity. I swear, the Earth is 25,000 miles in circumference ...  that 180 miles between Dover the rest of the way to Bridge-Tunnel goes around that distance 2wice!  I'm convinced of it. It's  a flat expanses that repeats cycling through abandoned farmsteads that are slowly being annexed by single story strip malls that just look tired and sleepy and futile from the road as you try not to look, zipping past 20 mph over the speed limit ...anything, to not admit you are there because it's creepily vapid - almost ineffably so.  You can just feel the insular energy there where the fish there no idea there's a universe out side the glass at either ends.

Although Lil' Miss Eliot hails from there and really like her dirty-ass rap song ... so she's okay I guess.

My sister lives in Va Beach. ..  Funny thing is, I once missed the Rt 1 exit off I-95 just over the Del Mem Bridge that one time, as I hadn't driven the trek in 12 years - it's kind of a tricky nexus... You have to really look for it after slipping through the bridge's exit tolls or you may miss.  That time, I'm looking for it and instead start seeing exit numbers of Washington D.C.  ... oh no!   Turns out, it wasn't that bad, though.  Even Maryland Staties were doin' 90 mph with a single arm draped languid over their wheels while texting ... As long as demography was 88, they didn't offer these guys any challenges to trigger primal contest with authority so they left us alone.   I actually got all the way down to the junction of 74 E, in Va, in just 8 total hours, and it was only another 1.5 ~ to pass by the Norfolk Naval Base.   It made me wonder why I was ever talked into doing the Del Marva route by family back in the day - never thought to challenge.  

The Bridge-Tunnel is fascinating, and that's why.  They were talking about it as a fun ride. And it is.  It's 29 miles of road that as you approach it from the Del Marv side, it looks serpentine like Asian dragon art, as it lurches out of the water, and then descends out of sight beneath the gray plain of the Bay (presumably - one hopes -  as it goes into tunnels).  There are two over water expanses and two tunnels; the latter allows the mariner traffic ...both military and commercial industrial ( talking 3 football field-long cargo 'islands' so massive that at 20 kts they look like they are standing still on the Bay horizon... )  I mean, your driving 30 feet over the water out in the middle of the ocean, then you go ... under the ocean.  It's pretty cool.  But, 15 min later your breaching the opposite shore having not drowned in a catastrophic failure of engineering or tsunamis..  

So, it's now bit of decision upon exiting the Del Mem Bridge whether it is worth it set myself up for two anxiety-loaded sessions with my analyst, vs doing enduring so for that Bridge-Tunnel experience.

LOL it sounds like DE really hurt you bad, man.

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

You think it’s much different at times here, lol?  How many go north of Stowe?  Or east over the range to Worecester?  Morrisville? Lol.  I think that can be said for most neighboring towns of tourist areas.

Its not true but it is… plenty of upscale folks in those towns (I’d live there) but you also find other areas that you don’t see in the brochures.

6 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

As the late George Carlin said, “Dover Delaware the city that means well”

Did he really?    ... Omg, no shit -

I'm saying - that's a great line; I could have started that passage in there with that sentence, then gone from there.  I mean exactly!  

I like George's comedy but I am not familiar with what ever that came from but yeah man - Dover is like really trying the best it can but is pedestrian ...

34 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

LOL it sounds like DE really hurt you bad, man.

It's actually gotten better in all honesty .. but I like that kind of observational humor so thought I'd embellish.

It was really much more like that up through about 2002... seemed to start changing soon after that.   That "annexing" thing, for "gun-'n'-tackle" strip malls and an assortment of repeating fast food cardio stops I guess are something.   It is an attempt/movement toward revitalization...   

Back in the day ...it was all about countless old abandoned real-estate ... trees growing out of the living room windows of a partially roof-collapsed houses set equidistant out amid a half mile square flat expanse, were too commonly seen to be ultimately comforting; with ghosts moaning 'faaaaaailure' in the winds of nostalgia you actually weren't really ever a part of ?  it's weird - hence the creepy vibe.  But you get that anywhere.... Hell, driving through upstate NY and your eye catches glimpse of some abandoned church set back partially obscured behind a stone wall and figure its been annexed by the local rape -underground. 

I don't know what it is... something about greasy-spoon rural settings cast a weird vibe of being separated from the hip vision of directive progressive culture and okay ... I don't mean to act elitist - some are happy in that realm, and more power to them - not me.  Even though I am f'n stuck in Ayer Mass. 

28 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Did he really?    ... Omg, no shit -

I'm saying - that's a great line; I could have started that passage in there with that sentence, then gone from there.  I mean exactly!  

I like George's comedy but I am not familiar with what ever that came from but yeah man - Dover is like really trying the best it can but is pedestrian ...

It was from an old bit he did. I can link you up. As expected NSFW

6 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

It was from an old bit he did. I can link you up. As expected NSFW

Oh yeah...I remember that stand-up he did.  I wanna say 1980s actually.  I didn't re-listen to the whole thing but I do remember it.

Interesting.  Full circle.  I was ever aware or remembering that bit of his when around 98, the first time I am drove down to Va Beach via the Del Marva route, and experience that area of the mid Atlantic.  It seem we have disparate experiences converging on the same take-away.  

I dunno - maybe y'all like it but consider yourselves warned LOL

Welp ...this ought'n be the last warm-    ish    day for at least a little while.

I don't suspect the warm calls for specific days  ..what was that, 27th 30th and Halloween ?   have a lot of confidence when we have suppressed back-drilling -NAO over the western limb of the domain, and an active Pacific relay pattern sending atmospheric nuke waves "under" our latitude.

The Euro's been selling the last in the series as breaking in on itself and stalling over OH ... hm, cannot toootally refute that idea - after all ... -NAO is blocking.  Particularly when the ridge/+hgt aspect is situating N of Maine.   Weird region for that actually.  But, the Euro also tends to curl up and package wave spacing too much beyond D5's in all older versions going back to 1990s ... I realize we've just "fixed" it but who knows if the former genetic inheritance is part of that.

The GFS tries to stretch the flow more and make the whole time span appear more proper -NAO cyclone track suppressed.  Which also ...cannot be outright negated as plausible.

The blend of the two is probably a tendency for a long ... long stretch of easterly fetch of tepidly cool autumn air.  

Then, we'll see what that first week of Novie brings.  I'm still interested in that time span for a more robust colder regime.   It seemed originally as though that could arrive .. well, now, post the 20th, but it was always a rangy affair. I won't consider the telecon spread/mass-field tenor as a failed indicators until it gets clear that we don't.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

You think it’s much different at times here, lol?  How many go north of Stowe?  Or east over the range to Worecester?  Morrisville? Lol.  I think that can be said for most neighboring towns of tourist areas.

Its not true but it is… plenty of upscale folks in those towns (I’d live there) but you also find other areas that you don’t see in the brochures.

LOL..we also joke too. I don't want people taking offense.