Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October Discussion: Bring the Frost-Hold the Snow

40/70 Benchmark

On 10/20/2021 at 7:15 AM, Damage In Tolland said:

What a furnace shaping up for Helloween . Makeup just melting off Children's faces. Chocolate melting in bags 

On 10/20/2021 at 7:36 AM, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Drunk this early?

On 10/20/2021 at 7:51 AM, CoastalWx said:

Yeah I don't see that.

Fun times at the circus.

9 hours ago, PhineasC said:

It's like I don't even recognize you guys anymore. :( 

I am pretty sure this is like 90% a coping mechanism, though. LOL

Don't worry, I'll be gung-ho cheerleading for snow when the time comes, but I just have no use for shitty cold weather in October. Even 10 years ago I really didn't, though I used to root a little harder for the rare October snow event. That said, if I was up there, I'd probably root for it more since it's easier to snow in October up there than here.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Once it hits November, cold matters up here for the snowmaking. I get that down in SNE you guys are still tending vegetable gardens and touring breweries. That’s fine. My neighbor in MD still has their pool open. LOL

Snow other than looking pretty while falling is pretty useless to me.  Nothing more than an aggravation at this stage of my life.

16 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Once it hits November, cold matters up here for the snowmaking. I get that down in SNE you guys are still tending vegetable gardens and touring breweries. That’s fine. My neighbor in MD still has their pool open. LOL

Nah, by like the 2nd week of November, I'm done with the warmth because you can start getting more legit snow events. Plus, I'm a skier too and I like seeing NNE get off to an early start with both snow making and natural snow. Once my final yard cleanup is done around Veteran's Day, I'm all-in. I'm still realistic though....I won't throw a tantrum if we don't get a snow event in November....they don't happen every year down here. Up there they pretty much happen every year. Esp 2nd half of November.

10 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

A big winter would certainly make things easy and fun though. We pray for that. 

10 hours ago, snowman21 said:

Where's Phin to tell you all to just get it over with and move south?

9 hours ago, PhineasC said:

It's like I don't even recognize you guys anymore. :( 

I am pretty sure this is like 90% a coping mechanism, though. LOL

Wouldn’t Phin tell people to just get over it and move north though? – that’s literally what he did.  Then every winter can be a “big winter”.  Up by him, even a mediocre winter is darned wintry relative to most of the country.  Decent snowpack for the entire winter is almost a given.  He’s shown that it can be done.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm not sure I could live where Phin is currently. Maybe when I get older and want to barricade myself in a cabin from the Feds while I evade taxes.

I can't comment on Mass, but my spot actually has more stores and restaurants within close distance than my MD house, which is in a complete cultural wasteland. Nothing but fast food and chains with zero soul. My wife was very pleasantly surprised to learn that.

If I was up in Colebrook or someplace like that I could definitely see getting some cabin fever. It's a really depressed area up there.

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I can't comment on Mass, but my spot actually has more stores and restaurants within close distance than my MD house, which is in a complete cultural wasteland. Nothing but fast food and chains with zero soul. My wife was very pleasantly surprised to learn that.

If I was up in Colebrook or someplace like that I could definitely see getting some cabin fever. It's a really depressed area up there.

Berlin is actually sneaky big for a town up there....I'd bet most don't know that it's twice the size of Bridgton, ME over the border to the east. Even Lancaster isn't that much smaller than Bridgton.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Berlin is actually sneaky big for a town up there....I'd bet most don't know that it's twice the size of Bridgton, ME over the border to the east. Even Lancaster isn't that much smaller than Bridgton.

And I can be down in North Conway in like 45 minutes, and that place is clearly exciting enough for the Mass crowd year round based on all the license plates. LOL

8 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I always laugh when people insinuate being in NNE in the middle of no where.  I know I can walk to a larger variety of restaurants, bars, breweries, stores, nightlife than almost anyone out there.  My sister from NYC says there’s more close variety than even where she is… but her options explode past a certain walking time frame.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

LOL, I'm just kidding. I know that area. It is beautiful, and yeah you head east and plenty of things there....thanks to tourism. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I always laugh when people insinuate being in NNE in the middle of no where.  I know I can walk to a larger variety of restaurants, bars, breweries, stores, nightlife than almost anyone out there.  My sister from NYC says there’s more close variety than even where she is… but her options explode past a certain walking time frame.

Well Stowe is a mecca there....to be fair not many places in NNE are like that though. 

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Well Stowe is a mecca there....to be fair not many places in NNE are like that though. 

Yep there's a bunch of places you can move up there where it's a total wasteland for amenities. Most VT ski towns are pretty well supplied with them though whether it's Kmart, Stowe, or even Ludlow. NH can be a bit more sparse even near the ski resorts, but the White Mts aren't bad near Phin because of proximity to Berlin and Conway.