Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October Discussion: Bring the Frost-Hold the Snow

40/70 Benchmark

7 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Finished my run covered in little black flies. Time for a freeze to kill these little schitts. 

My only quibble with this month. I love these types of days but it would have been nice to sneak in a quick cold shot a week or two ago that kills the bugs. 

But otherwise let’s keep the party going. I got no use for 52/27 type days unless I’m doing yard cleanup or something. 

• Like 2

I think 10+ years ago I would be aggravated. But, this weather has been great. Plenty of mild days and cool nights for sleeping. I have not put the heat on yet, so a break in utilities is appreciated. It's great to continue the outdoor scene too. Great wx for hikes, BBQs, outdoor eating.....whatever. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I think 10+ years ago I would be aggravated. But, this weather has been great. Plenty of mild days and cool nights for sleeping. I have not put the heat on yet, so a break in utilities is appreciated. It's great to continue the outdoor scene too. Great wx for hikes, BBQs, outdoor eating.....whatever. 

I mean, all of our frigid autumns in the 1980s and early 1990s were the highlights of the cold season....winter would turn to shit just in time...lol. 

2000 was a good one though. Lasted right into winter. 

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

My only quibble with this month. I love these types of days but it would have been nice to sneak in a quick cold shot a week or two ago that kills the bugs. 

But otherwise let’s keep the party going. I got no use for 52/27 type days unless I’m doing yard cleanup or something. 

Exactly. Sneak in a couple hard freezes and then torch on. 

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I mean, all of our frigid autumns in the 1980s and early 1990s were the highlights of the cold season....winter would turn to shit just in time...lol. 

2000 was a good one though. Lasted right into winter. 

Once November comes, I'm ready. At that point the landscape looks dead anyways. I don't expect much, but first flakes are always exciting. Accumulations a bonus. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Once November comes, I'm ready. At that point the landscape looks dead anyways. I don't expect much, but first flakes are always exciting. Accumulations a bonus. 

Yeah bring it on after Veterans Day. Usually when I do my final yard cleanup. Once that is done I want the snow in here...but we have such a lagged climo in New England. 

Its amazing comparing to the some of intermountain west (esp further south like NV/UT/AZ) where November is colder than February in many spots. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Not this year. The landscape will be thriving . Deep greens . Leaves and lawns . Not a frost or freeze in sight. From Phinny to Winny to Raymie, to Ginxy

• Like 2
  • Weenie 4

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Not this year. The landscape will be thriving . Deep greens . Leaves and lawns . Not a frost or freeze in sight. From Phinny to Winny to Raymie, to Ginxy

We pray. It'd be epic if we can go Sep and Oct up here without hitting 32F. :lol:

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

What’s happened to us?  Agreed with both, it’s been right in the sweet spot for 7 weeks now of no utility payments or needs… no A/C and no heat.  Just lingering in that between… though I haven’t been home and the last few days might’ve required some heat for the first time.  Left the thermostat at 55F so I’m sure it’s not on with the place locked up and retaining warmth.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

What’s happened to us?  Agreed with both, it’s been right in the sweet spot for 7 weeks now of no utility payments or needs… no A/C and no heat.  Just lingering in that between… though I haven’t been home and the last few days might’ve required some heat for the first time.  Left the thermostat at 55F so I’m sure it’s not on with the place locked up and retaining warmth.

Kids and Covid changed it lol. I just find life a lot easier with the warmer weather. Last winter was brutal on multiple ends for me. A big winter would certainly make things easy and fun though. We pray for that. 

30 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Kids and Covid changed it lol. I just find life a lot easier with the warmer weather. Last winter was brutal on multiple ends for me. A big winter would certainly make things easy and fun though. We pray for that. 

Lol neither of those two things for me.  I just find myself in this zone where I want snow (would’ve hiked in the rain to get to snow the other day had I been home) but if it’s not going to snow I want nice weather.  Very spoiled or entitled way to look at it I guess… trying to avoid cold crappy weather.

Most of it comes I think from continuous obsession since being a kid of the western mountain climates.  It’s either nice and mild out with sunshine, or it’s snowing.  Even lately in October the mountain towns of UT/CO have been like 50s or 60s with sunshine, then it’s 28F and snowing 6”.  A day or two later it’s back to mild and sunny, before the next storm system rolls in and somehow it’s cold enough to snow.

You get this type of stuff out west.  Here it would go from highs in the mid-50s to rain, heavy at times in the 40s, lol. There with dry air and low wet bulbs it goes 55F then 28-32F with snow, heavy at times.

Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 30s. 

Increasing clouds. Highs in the mid 50s.

Snow. Snow may be heavy at times after midnight. Lows in the upper 20s. Chance of precipitation 90 percent.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

No heat but put the a/c on last night lol

1 hour ago, wdrag said:

Active Pacific pattern assisting downstream northeast USA blocking of two large 500MB trough passages next week. This should result in at least one Nor'easter and possibly a classic fall severe weather event if a 985MB low moves northward through central PA.  

Max isolated rainfall potential of ~7" somewhere in the NYC subforum (interior) would lead to isolated Flash Flooding but the dry October of generally less than 1/2" so far in NYC 'should' limit the flash flood threat. There has been more rain I84 northward so the flood threat may eventually be targeting the interior NYS/CT portion of our forum. 

The general non-astronomically high tide cycles should at least partially limit the potential for moderate coastal flooding.

Of greater concern appears to be softening of the ground by next weeks rains and the probability for a period of 45-55MPH wind gusts on fully leaved wet tree branches in parts of the area, which would lead to a power outage problem. 

At this Friday October 22 608AM issuance time, it's far too early to focus on the details.  The headlines of this topic will adjust a bit as we move through the weekend, including tags. For now have left SVR and FF out of the tags.  

Damage