• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October Discussion: Bring the Frost-Hold the Snow

40/70 Benchmark

maybe a pricey season for home heating dependencies upon oil - which lets face it ...directly or indirectly that's everything.

the intricacies of energy-economics will do whatever it can to justify inflating gas and electric pricing to go along with because they wanna get rich off this thing too - lol,  but we'll see -

not sure if anyone's paying attention but the world's really closer to a brink-economic collapse due to a break-down of supply-demand logistical circuitry, then many may be aware.  folks are kinda 'tuning out' on the calamity drama, needing a pandemic time out - but in this window there's bit of unawareness it seems.  it's just a little emergent property and consequence of the Pandemic's lagged correlation impacts.  but that's an extension of the point.

that all means we'd better hope the N-branch of the westerlies yields to a some sort of La Nina southern stream ...which would tend to bend the flow S over the Great Basin and wave spacing then lending to ridging in the east but oh wait!  Damn, that means winter may suck.  Lol... 

Nice, the pandemic: gift that keeps on giving.  f*ed in either direction.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Only down to 36 overnight here. I am really starting to wonder when we will hit 32 at this point. These overnight mins are ridiculous and it’s been like this for a while now. 

You must radiate a bit better than your neighbors in that field which is nice though.  39F for today’s min on wunderground station (Broadacres Farm on Randolph Hill 1600ft, currently 42F) and that Cocorahs guy 38F.

Makes sense, would think your field gets a bit colder.  Every degree helps.

Need clear skies for frost.  Clouds and wind every night.

33 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

You must radiate a bit better than your neighbors in that field which is nice though.  39F for today’s min on wunderground station (Broadacres Farm on Randolph Hill 1600ft, currently 42F) and that Cocorahs guy 38F.

Makes sense, would think your field gets a bit colder.  Every degree helps.

That Broadacres Farm building is down the hill right on rt 2 towards the lower town. It's definitely not higher than me. Not sure why they are reporting that elevation unless they have their PWS a couple miles away up this way?

They tend to run pretty close to the Appalachia station which should be at the trailhead across rt2 for the Presidentials (to the left of this picture).

1248845141_ScreenShot2021-10-19at11_24.59AMcopy.thumb.jpg.d5d842543d817c2fa7fad24d35173502.jpg

The CoCoRaHS guy does his measurements in the woods which causes issues and inflates his snow depth late in the season, IMO.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

maybe a pricey season for home heating dependencies upon oil - which lets face it ...directly or indirectly that's everything.

the intricacies of energy-economics will do whatever it can to justify inflating gas and electric pricing to go along with because they wanna get rich off this thing too - lol,  but we'll see -

not sure if anyone's paying attention but the world's really closer to a brink-economic collapse due to a break-down of supply-demand logistical circuitry, then many may be aware.  folks are kinda 'tuning out' on the calamity drama, needing a pandemic time out - but in this window there's bit of unawareness it seems.  it's just a little emergent property and consequence of the Pandemic's lagged correlation impacts.  but that's an extension of the point.

that all means we'd better hope the N-branch of the westerlies yields to a some sort of La Nina southern stream ...which would tend to bend the flow S over the Great Basin and wave spacing then lending to ridging in the east but oh wait!  Damn, that means winter may suck.  Lol... 

Nice, the pandemic: gift that keeps on giving.  f*ed in either direction.  

The inflationary dynamics should sort of pinch the middle class higher and higher up as the years go by , especially if they don’t own any real estate or financial assets that may inflate with inflation .

Right now we see fewer and fewer willing to take 10-14$ / hour jobs as Pre pandemic ...the risk/reward of “having a job” and working 40 hours just to pay almost all your money to afford a 1 br rental with cheap food and gas money Sorta isn’t there .

Much easier to try and move back in with XYZ , play the I’m “finding my self / career” card as long as one can , or maybe they just have very welcoming /lonely  parent / Parents who encourage them to or have an open door . Either way many Millennials are voting to not slave away at a service sector dead end job ..just so they can put it all toward a 1500$ 1 BR and gas money and cable . Probably also realizing that if they took the bait and paid 150K for a liberal arts degree (since you need to have a degree / any degree ) the jokes on them 

8 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

The inflationary dynamics should sort of pinch the middle class higher and higher up as the years go by , especially if they don’t own any real estate or financial assets that may inflate with inflation .

Right now we see fewer and fewer willing to take 10-14$ / hour jobs as Pre pandemic ...the risk/reward of “having a job” and working 40 hours just to pay almost all your money to afford a 1 br rental with cheap food and gas money Sorta isn’t there .

Much easier to try and move back in with XYZ , play the I’m “finding my self / career” card as long as one can , or maybe they just have very welcoming /lonely  parent / Parents who encourage them to or have an open door . Either way many Millennials are voting to not slave away at a service sector dead end job ..just so they can put it all toward a 1500$ 1 BR and gas money and cable . Probably also realizing that if they took the bait and paid 150K for a liberal arts degree (since you need to have a degree / any degree ) the jokes on them 

How many people you know got a 5.7% pay hike this year?  Cause if you didn't you actually got a pay cut from inflation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Only down to 36 overnight here. I am really starting to wonder when we will hit 32 at this point. These overnight mins are ridiculous and it’s been like this for a while now. 

Evening temps say frost in the morning.  Then the clouds come in and the breeze hangs around and we barely get under 40.  Yesterday's 50/35 was 2° BN, ending a 14-day run of AN.  We have slight chances of 1st frost tomorrow and Thursday mornings, after that it would be next week.  Previous latest for 1st frost was 10/6/2011, and the other 22 years it came in September.  Just can't get any good radiation to stick around.

51 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

That Broadacres Farm building is down the hill right on rt 2 towards the lower town. It's definitely not higher than me. Not sure why they are reporting that elevation unless they have their PWS a couple miles away up this way?

They tend to run pretty close to the Appalachia station which should be at the trailhead across rt2 for the Presidentials (to the left of this picture).

1248845141_ScreenShot2021-10-19at11_24.59AMcopy.thumb.jpg.d5d842543d817c2fa7fad24d35173502.jpg

The CoCoRaHS guy does his measurements in the woods which causes issues and inflates his snow depth late in the season, IMO.

That makes sense.  They are both just the visible stations in that area.  That Broadacres one looks like it’s in your backyard on Wunderground :lol:.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KNHRANDO11

That station is pretty identical to Alex’s at 1550 or whatever.  Looks like Alex’s area had a low of 39-40F too.  

It varies so much, same around here.

19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That makes sense.  They are both just the visible stations in that area.  That Broadacres one looks like it’s in your backyard on Wunderground :lol:.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KNHRANDO11

That station is pretty identical to Alex’s at 1550 or whatever.  Looks like Alex’s area had a low of 39-40F too.  

It varies so much, same around here.

Yea, and you can get bootleg min/max readings that the PWS hits for like 5 minutes too. If my PWS spits out 36 for a couple mins and then bounces back to 38 it’s hard to say there was any discrepancy there. Just a passing pocket of cold air or something. LOL

I see this all the time here in the winter where the high was 35 but it was 30 the entire time except for a brief spike at 2 PM. Not exactly a big melt day. 

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Yeah all that ...and there's probably a textured storm of factors.

I mean, I keep seeing these articles citing societal -scaled burnout of/for "menial" ( some interpretives there ...) -relate job and acquisition thereof, now that 'employment fear' has begun to subside in the early onset post Pandemia ... blah blah blah ..

Somewhere in there, they drop a quick turn of phrase that side-car mentions this is most coherent in retail and health sectors - I'm like, "well duh you turkeys!  who the f! wants to work in an environment that is a Petri dish for pan-systemic epidemiology concerns now or ever?!"   Seems pretty straight forward.  

But - I dunno - maybe some of that carries over into the logistics areas, too.  I was just reading one of CNN's typical fear-pimped articles this morning about the cargo and freight back logs at shipping ports.  It's like a sea of those snap fit ocean-liner to freight train and semi truck containers, stacked over a 1000 acre depot ... apparently full of Christmas shopper visions of sugar plumbs and fairies. 

In other words, this is probably a problem that is more textured than just retail and health, or trucking and delivery ...

I almost think it is partly - and this is admittedly biased in my own cynical take on human beings LOL - caused by erstwhile leading immersion of populous in a provisional/supplementary income state during the Pandemics 12 months of "vacation" - I think there is a bit of elephant sloth in the room here. Not ALL - don't get one's panties in a bunch... but a lot of menial jobs that are not celebratory or celebrity ... ( Dirty Jobs/ c/o Mike Rowe et al), suck ...  let's face it.  Adding to that, the reasons you state around a younger generations not wanting to assume the roles of entry level. Also part of my cynicism I wonder, is that partly a generation of trophy-intoxicated  atta boy and girl participator thing?  Now that communities have succeeded socializing them into the "like-ably charming entitled" to mid-salaries, automatically, with less awareness of what the word merit really means as emerging adult responsibilities, gems they are ... Sort of what ur saying there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Yea, and you can get bootleg min/max readings that the PWS hits for like 5 minutes too. If my PWS spits out 36 for a couple mins and then bounces back to 38 it’s hard to say there was any discrepancy there. Just a passing pocket of cold air or something. LOL

I see this all the time here in the winter where the high was 35 but it was 30 the entire time except for a brief spike at 2 PM. Not exactly a big melt day. 

Yup that’s how max/mins go, great point.  No real time limit on residency.  A brief patch of clear skies drops a rad pit 10F and then it clouds up and temps rise again… same with cloudy showery days, one pocket of sun can spike 5-8F higher than what it sat at 90% of the day.